Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
Installation went fine, things seemed to be working, left the iPad connected overnight to my MacPro and this morning the iPad won't wake up, no signs of life whatsoever.

I have tried:
- Holding wake/sleep button > 10 secs.
- Holding wake/sleep & Home buttons> 10 secs.
- Plugging to USB, plugging to charger directly. Nada.
- Did the stuff in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Next, I guess, is the Genius at the Apple store. I'm guessing this is a fluke or coincidence as I haven't seen anyone else reporting this same issue but there's always the first one.

Last edited:

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
I'm pretty sure the Genius will not help you troubleshoot beta software.

I agree. I'm not confident that the genius' would be well versed in the latest developer beta. They would probably just recommend a restore back to 4.3

Brandrune

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Agreed, Genius staff will only be trained in current software. I experienced the same issue as you and it was due to mail. I held both hard keys down for 25 seconds and it came back up. You need to remove the banner notification for Mail.

whatdoiknw

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
i know this might come across as rude but if you installed iOS5 beta, which is only available to developers, then you must be a developer.

so you should probably ask in the apple's developer section?

if you're not a developer...then you should have known better to not install a beta if you're not qualified to handle the problems it can cause.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
It could have drained the battery when you had it hooked up on your Mac, this happened to me before so just plug it in with the wall charger for about an hour or more and see if it comes back.

If not take it to the Apple store and don't tell them about you putting on iOS 5 because if it's dead then they can't see that anyway.

Good Luck!

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
i know this might come across as rude but if you installed iOS5 beta, which is only available to developers, then you must be a developer.

if you're not a developer...then you should have known better to not install a beta if you're not qualified to handle the problems it can cause.

Amen. I predicted in a previous thread that there would be a whole slew of new threads from non-devs who bricked their iPads after installing iOS5.

Sure enough, within an hour of me posting that message, I received a private message from an MR member, titled, "HELP!" because he had bricked his iPad!

LOL...I'm no dev and KNOW to leave the Beta tests to the devs...Why can't people just WAIT???

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I agree. I'm not confident that the genius' would be well versed in the latest developer beta. They would probably just recommend a restore back to 4.3

I'm sure that somewhere in the developer agreement that you agreed to it says that if you install beta software you are own your own and Apple takes no responsibility whatsoever, and it also said that you are under NDA and not to talk about any of your experiences. On the other hand, if you didn't agree to this, then you installed pirated software. Tough.

Only if that genius also happens to have an iPhone developer account. In which case I'm confident that he or she won't help either.

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Amen. I predicted in a previous thread that there would be a whole slew of new threads from non-devs who bricked their iPads after installing iOS5.

Sure enough, within an hour of me posting that message, I received a private message from an MR member, titled, "HELP!" because he had bricked his iPad!

LOL...I'm no dev and KNOW to leave the Beta tests to the devs...Why can't people just WAIT???

I agree that if you're not a Dev you shouldn't install the BETA, but, as a dev, we shouldn't have these kind of issues when you're trying to test out an app on an idevice with beta os. There can be some bugs sure, but hardware stopping bugs are a big let down...though this is only the first beta, so maybe all these restarts and power bugs will get fixed before it goes gold.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Still, according to OP the device appears to be completely unresponsive. The OS version is irrelevant if the genius can't get it to show ANY signs of life.

While I wouldn't lie about installing iOS5, it may be prudent to omit that fact unless asked directly. Present the issue as the device simply being dead.

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Jesus Diaz, the Gizmodo editor who (helpfully) posted a "How-To" for morons to circumvent the iOS Developer restrictions ought to go to prison.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
Jesus Diaz, the Gizmodo editor who (helpfully) posted a "How-To" for morons to circumvent the iOS Developer restrictions ought to go to prison.

Feelings still hurt over the leaked iPhone 4?

U were the one that said "that's not real! It has seams! Apple would never have a product with seams!"

Last edited:

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
I apologize for not responding sooner but I was busy and away from my computer most of the day.

For all of you assuming that I'm not a developer and somehow obtained the beta illegally or that "why can't I just wait", I'm a developer and have been for almost two years. I'm not expecting the genius to fix or debug the beta software but I wasn't expecting it to brick my iPad either. And frankly he/she may be a Genius but I don't think he/she will be able to tell the OS from a black screen. Like I said on my original post, it may have been a coincidence that I had installed IOS5.

Also, I'm posting it here sort of as a warning to others to be careful and to see if anyone else has had this same issue.

Try DFU while plugged into the wall charger.

Tried that. There's ZERO response no matter what. Left it overnight charging directly from the wall charger and is still nothing. The thing is just dead.

I am a developer. I wouldn't expect beta software to brick a device, specially a beta released to customers (and yes, as a developer I'm an Apple customer).

Now if the OS was a developer or an alpha version then sure, all bets are off.

Still, according to OP the device appears to be completely unresponsive. The OS version is irrelevant if the genius can't get it to show ANY signs of life.

While I wouldn't lie about installing iOS5, it may be prudent to omit that fact unless asked directly. Present the issue as the device simply being dead.

Thank you. That is what I was thinking. I'm not going to lie to them about installing iOS5 but hopefully it won't be the first thing that comes out of my mouth either.

Last edited by a moderator:

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Boy some of you guys sure rush to judgment eh?

I'm still a little shocked you can't get this on. When is the last time anyone heard of a bricked Ipad?

I'd try the process again, hold the home/sleep buttons longer. Try tiny umbrella to kick it into recovery. If it was working fine before you installed the beta it should boot up. I wouldn't give up yet.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Boy some of you guys sure rush to judgment eh?

I'm still a little shocked you can't get this on. When is the last time anyone heard of a bricked Ipad?

I'd try the process again, hold the home/sleep buttons longer. Try tiny umbrella to kick it into recovery. If it was working fine before you installed the beta it should boot up. I wouldn't give up yet.

Yep. They can't wait to chew someone out for installing the beta like the beta is there own personal elite club. If someone spends their own money on the apple developer program who cares why they did it it's their right.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Yep. They can't wait to chew someone out for installing the beta like the beta is there own personal elite club. If someone spends their own money on the apple developer program who cares why they did it it's their right.

Not exactly what I meant, he is a developer.

People got on the shame on you band wagon before the guy got back to say he was in fact a developer.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
Well, I'm a little embarrassed. I was about to head out to the Apple store and I tried it ONE MORE TIME, holding Home and Sleep buttons and held it looooonger and the darned thing boot up! :eek:

I swear I'm not a noob at this but I deserve the upcoming insults.
Bring it on! :)

(Thanks to everyone that offered helpful suggestions)

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Well, I'm a little embarrassed. I was about to head out to the Apple store and I tried it ONE MORE TIME, holding Home and Sleep buttons and held it looooonger and the darned thing boot up! :eek:

I'm more in the school of thought that you paid your money for the license, you installed the beta OS that Apple gave you. I don't think it should matter (if you HAD killed your iPad) what OS you had on it. It's your iPad, your license, and a legit, albeit beta, OS. Saying to use a beta at your own risk because of bugs is one thing, saying it because it might kill your hardware is quite another.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Good to hear it. Might want to change first post to "resolved."

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Seriously? Just because someone pays the $99 fee to become a dev doesn't mean they are now qualified to trouble shoot every hardware issue that may happen? The dev tools these days are so good that you can build basic apps with very little knowledge or understanding how everything truly works. I know MS's WP7 dev tools are so easy that you can build a very stable and functional app by dragging and dropping everything into place, no coding knowledge needed. Just because someone is a dev doesn't make them an IT genius.

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011

ROFL, you my friend, made my day. glad to see i'm not the only one who disliked that.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007

The timing can be tricky. I usually bring up a youtube video to make sure that I'm holding things for the right amount of time.

Colin Holgate

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
I too have this iPad 2 symptom, but I had already discovered that holding down the home and power button for a long time would get it to reboot.

This thread is marked as Resolved, but I didn't see a solution to the main problem (which is, that this shutting down is happening repeatedly). I guess the thing that was resolved was that his iPad wasn't really dead after all.

I've tried setting the auto lock to Never now, maybe that's the thing that was causing a problem. It was set to 15 minutes before, and the problem that is happening might be to do with auto lock.

I don't get the problem on my iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.