Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
What does XP have to do with anything?

Do you actually believe there will be some great performance increase by cutting out CD users? Of course not, you might save a couple megabytes for the drivers/code though.

Not to mention, these Core Duo machines are stil very nice. To compare to the latest Macbook GeekBenches only about 25% more, and I'm not entirely sure how much of that is because the newest Macbook has a dedicated graphics card while the originals don't, which would mean for everyday tasks they are pretty much the same. Hell to make it even fairer, the C2D update that will be supported benchmarked only 5% more.

When Apple cut PPC from SL, it was an obvious move forward. Were people who bought an expensive G5 or Powerbook happy? No, but it's a bit more understandable then this move.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I've been trying to find a way to install DP 1 on my 2006 CD mini, but I'm not having any luck at all, actually, at this point, I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'm of course not able to directly install it on the mini, and my 2011 MBP isn't compatible with DP 1, so I can't install on an external drive and copy it over.

Anybody know anyway around this or have any ideas?

tallchris

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
Not sure if this is correct place to post this but anyway.

I'm looking forward to the retail version of Lion, I've got a macbook 2,1 so I'm not to worried about it being compatible with the processor as its a C2D.

What I was wondering about would be if it was compatible with the Graphics. Mine has a GMA 950, will/has Lion made this 'obsolete'?

Thanks

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
(]If we all took this route we would all still be using Windows machines with XP installed. That is where I like Apple. Keep technology moving and improving. We all know technology is constantly changing. No one forces anyone to upgrade. I guess we could all just have stuck with "Panther" many years ago and be just like all those still out there using XP.

You mean you enjoy giving Apple your money and don't see a problem with their short product support?

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not sure if this is correct place to post this but anyway.

I'm looking forward to the retail version of Lion, I've got a macbook 2,1 so I'm not to worried about it being compatible with the processor as its a C2D.

What I was wondering about would be if it was compatible with the Graphics. Mine has a GMA 950, will/has Lion made this 'obsolete'?

Thanks
No. Apple still has support for the GMA 950 in Lion. But graphically, your experience might not be optimal. To optimize, Apple has done things like remove the the transparency in Launchpad.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Faster?

I remember when upgrading from Leopard to SL my machine got a lot faster (I didn't use erase and install, I kept all the data intact). Would it be the case as well that SL to Lion will make my machine faster?

I have 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB DDR3 RAM Macbook.

zencowboy

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
Well, I am no developer...

Hello all, I just love the spirit of tinkering.
I have the same macbook pro 1.83Ghz/2GB memory 1st generation Core Duo as the originator of this thread.

I have downloaded both DP1 and DP3 Lion.

I added my motherboard ID to plist/then tried to delete plist.
Swapped out boot.efi files from DP1, put into DP3...no go either (Because DP1 worked on CD).

I am trying this on external clone SSD 10.6.7 SL.

Would changing something in terminal help??

It is getting close to final release of Lion and will shortly have a hacked version for us CD users.

Thanks for any positive info;)

SisterRay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
UK
No mention of system requirements from Apple today. Do you like they might still support core duos?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Do you actually believe there will be some great performance increase by cutting out CD users? Of course not, you might save a couple megabytes for the drivers/code though.
When Apple cut PPC from SL, it was an obvious move forward. Were people who bought an expensive G5 or Powerbook happy? No, but it's a bit more understandable then this move.
Will cutting out CD users be a great performance increase? Probably nothing noticeable at all. Will it save disk space? Some - maybe only really noticeable on Airs with 64GB SSDs.

So why might Apple be cutting out the older CD systems? Well it does cut down on how many different systems they need to test on. Also, Apple no longer has to write and test software (bits and pieces) for CD systems.

I suspect that even if you can hack the released version of Lion to run on CD systems, at some point some update to Mac OS Lion will break on the CD systems.

Those with CD systems, what feature in Lion is crying out to you that you must have it? I have a system that is fine for Lion and truthfully, I'm not that impressed with it. So not impressed that I will need to go in to an Apple Store and play with Lion to see if there's anything I really need and to make sure it hasn't broken things like Mail to uselessness for me.

EDIT: When I say my system is fine for Lion, I mean fully supported.

Last edited:

cubanmiami05

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Miami,FL
You can also find the board-id via

Code:
ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id

and then add it to PlatformSupport.plist with Apples Property List Editor:

Code:
sudo /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property\ List\ Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/Property\ List\ Editor

;)

hi , Thanks I just found the board id , but How do I add it to the PlatformSupport if its READ ONLY FILE ?? :(

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Will cutting out CD users be a great performance increase? Probably nothing noticeable at all. Will it save disk space? Some - maybe only really noticeable on Airs with 64GB SSDs.

So why might Apple be cutting out the older CD systems? Well it does cut down on how many different systems they need to test on. Also, Apple no longer has to write and test software (bits and pieces) for CD systems.

I suspect that even if you can hack the released version of Lion to run on CD systems, at some point some update to Mac OS Lion will break on the CD systems.

Those with CD systems, what feature in Lion is crying out to you that you must have it? I have a system that is fine for Lion and truthfully, I'm not that impressed with it. So not impressed that I will need to go in to an Apple Store and play with Lion to see if there's anything I really need and to make sure it hasn't broken things like Mail to uselessness for me.

As I said earlier, it's mainly because you're left behind and Apple shows little mercy for those who don't upgrade.

Apps (especially Apple's) in the future will only support 10.7+, future security updates will only support 10.7+ (as seen with MacDefender), soon certain Apple peripherals and hardware (iPods possible) will only support the later OS. The app store is going to help push this initiative even faster with all of the new stuff it allows developers to do in Lion.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
As I said earlier, it's mainly because you're left behind and Apple shows little mercy for those who don't upgrade.

Apps (especially Apple's) in the future will only support 10.7+, future security updates will only support 10.7+ (as seen with MacDefender), soon certain Apple peripherals and hardware (iPods possible) will only support the later OS. The app store is going to help push this initiative even faster with all of the new stuff it allows developers to do in Lion.
A lot of companies show no mercy. I have a perfectly fine scanner that actually only barely works in Snow Leopard. But Canon wants me to buy a new scanner so there is no driver update.

Traditionally Apple has always provided security updates for the previous version of OS X. I suspect we'll continue to see that happening.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
look, i know that everyone is freaking out that lion won't run on core duo's but i wouldn't worry too much. i give it a day or 2 after release that its torrented and a day after that, that the hackintosh crowd figures out how to bypass all the apple lockout features. within a week core duo's will be running lion just like everyone else.

cubanmiami05

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Miami,FL
look, i know that everyone is freaking out that lion won't run on core duo's but i wouldn't worry too much. i give it a day or 2 after release that its torrented and a day after that, that the hackintosh crowd figures out how to bypass all the apple lockout features. within a week core duo's will be running lion just like everyone else.

Lets Hope So !! :)

elnegas

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
Lion DP4 on Core Duo

Hi,

I have managed to run Lion DP4 on my MacBook Core Duo, here are the steps:
- Install first on a compatible Mac
- Delete PlatformSupport.plist
- Bless boot.efi from DP1
- replace mach_kernel from DP1
- replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and IOFireWireFamily.kext from DP1

But there are some issues that makes it impossible to work with:

- Finder is only in x64, so no way to run it, the rest of apps stay in x86
- launchd process uses all CPU and Memory resources, so it is not possible to work normally with.
* It's possible to disable some launchDaemons loaded by launchd (related to crash reports, etc), to resolve the last issue.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2011-06-11 a la(s) 16.36.13.png
    Captura de pantalla 2011-06-11 a la(s) 16.36.13.png
    744.2 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:

gvollant

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Hi,
I’ve a Mac Mini1,1, which was shipped with Core Duo, and I had replaced Core Duo by a Core 2 duo
(Snow leopard can uses 64 bits application).

I tried modify or remove the /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist file, but I still have the compatibility error message at startup

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Hi,

I have managed to run Lion DP4 on my MacBook Core Duo, here are the steps:
- Install first on a compatible Mac
- Delete PlatformSupport.plist
- Bless boot.efi from DP1
- replace mach_kernel from DP1
- replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from DP1

But there are some issues that makes it impossible to work with:

- Finder is only in x64, so no way to run it, the rest of apps stay in x86
- launchd process uses all CPU and Memory resources, so it is not possible to work normally with.
* It's possible to disable some launchDaemons loaded by launchd (related to crash reports, etc), to resolve the last issue.
Great work. Perhaps you could somehow install Snow Leopard's Finder?

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
this is great news! :D

Would the DP1 Finder not work? or are we all PathFinder users now? :rolleyes:

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
elnegas:

I have followed your instructions with no additions, twice, and get the attached Kernel Panic. Is there perhaps another kext required?

Attachments

• IMG_20110613_152852.jpg
    IMG_20110613_152852.jpg
    858.8 KB · Views: 367

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Hi,
I’ve a Mac Mini1,1, which was shipped with Core Duo, and I had replaced Core Duo by a Core 2 duo
(Snow leopard can uses 64 bits application).

I tried modify or remove the /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist file, but I still have the compatibility error message at startup

I'm in the same camp, in fact I actually upgraded the processor just last week thinking that it would allow me to use Lion...now I realise that was not quite the case (oops!!)

So I guess at the moment it's wait and see, and if not then lets hope there is a viable workaround.

elnegas

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
elnegas:

I have followed your instructions with no additions, twice, and get the attached Kernel Panic. Is there perhaps another kext required?

Sorry, I tried lots of things to make it bootable, so I forgot that kext. You have to use IOFireWireFamily.kext from DP1 too (the kext that caused the kernel panic).

elnegas

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
this is great news! :D

Would the DP1 Finder not work? or are we all PathFinder users now? :rolleyes:

It doesn't work, DP1 Finder requires some plugins or frameworks which are different in DP4 Lion, but I haven't tried too much. I think it's not impossible to make it run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.