Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacosXrumors.com is reporting that only a week after build 8A369 was released, another build of Tiger has reached a limited number of developers. The site reports multiple fixed bugs in the release, but also sheds light on the existance of a dozen or so remaining issues that have yet to be resolved.

Fixed since last build:
- Plain text messages being sent as rich text, which causes messages sent from Tiger Mail to show up as attachments in other mail clients.
- Dock dragging problems.
- Dual 2 GHz and Dual 2.5 GHz G5’s with SuperDrive install problems.
- Finder crashes when previewing Sorenson 3 video or PNG files.
- Volume corruption issues with upgrade and archive installs over 10.2.x (Jaguar).
- Setup Assistant hangs after playing the movie with upgrade installs over 10.3.x.
- Spotlight infinitely indexing after editing data in your Address Book.
- Carbon and Cocoa app window corruption problems after inactivity.
- Problems disabling .Mac Syncing.

Still need to be fixed:
- .Mac syncing of Address Book can lead to loss of contact URL’s in the Address Book. Disable Address Book syncing  in the .Mac–>Sync preference pane for now.
- iDVD 5.x and iMovie 5.x fail to see iPhoto 5.x photos in a users iPhoto library.
- Some full-screen QuickTime trailers don’t display video.
- There are still occasional reports of blue or grey screens after installation or at login. Workaround: reboot.
- iDisk syncing may hang upon occasion.
- The .Mac Sync pref pane and the Sync menu extra are slow and don’t always agree on when syncing is happening.
- Keychain syncing may corrupt your keychain. Other data types should work (with the exception of contacts).  Disable keychain syncing in the .Mac–>Sync preference pane for now.
- Very rarely, login, security dialog or remote access authentication may be refused.  Workaround: reboot.
- Text input other than English is not recognized in authorization dialogs.
- Xcode crashes when building Carbon bundles and frameworks.
- AppleScript applications that reference bundles need to use the bundle extension (e.g. “.app”)when referring to them.
- Text paths to aliases (e.g. “~/Desktop/”) in AppleScript are incorrect.
The site also focuses on a new option for cursor size in the Universal Access prefs pane, as well as developers being unhappy with Spotlight indexing speed.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
hmm, some of these bugs seem pretty important (both fixed and unresolved), I hope they can iron them all out and release a well working copy of Tiger in time.

What is interesting about the developers being unhappy with indexing speeds to me is that I installed an older build of Tiger a whle back for a day, to play around, and indexing didn't take that long. About an two hours maybe. Though I have more data in video files then a whole crapload of text files so I guess it would take longer based on the number of files you have, and not the amount of space they take up. One thing that should be adressed, is that the indexing really bogs the system down when you first run Tiger. I can see this bothering people who don't understand what is going on. Though I assume that after the "short" indexing period, most users will forget about how it was slow. As the indexing usually will never bog the system down, as it continues to index on the fly from then on.

gorkonapple

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
Columbus, OH
With that laundry list of things to fix, is June too optimistic for a release? That's only 4 months. Anyway, I can't wait to see tiger. It promises alot. We'll see.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I heard there are new (and enhanced) drivers for the GeForce 6800 Ultra in Tiger. Is there anyone who is able to confirm this (without breaking any NDA, of course)?

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I would venture to say with the amount of problems that were fixed within this last week, June should not be too soon for a release. Given they don't encounter any larger scale problems while fixing these bugs.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
So is Tiger still in Alpha? As in new features are still being added?
"One new feature not reported in the seed notes is on the Universal Access preferences pane: on the Mouse tab, you can now chose the cursor size. The feature is still a bit buggy though, it looks like there is no anti-aliasing on the cursor icon and that the mouse motion is a bit jerky."
Fingers crossed that first release is ok and not rushed

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Fredstar said:
"One new feature not reported in the seed notes is on the Universal Access preferences pane: on the Mouse tab, you can now chose the cursor size. The feature is still a bit buggy though, it looks like there is no anti-aliasing on the cursor icon and that the mouse motion is a bit jerky."

All localizations are in and complete from what I have heard. So it is in Beta.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Fredstar said:
Tiger is clearly in beta. It entered beta phase at WWDC, when it was first introduced - this was when developers outside of Apple were able to obtain pre-releases of the OS. Regular seeding of new builds has been ongoing since then, confirming the fact that Tiger is in beta-test. The earliest that Tiger could have entered alpha is as soon as Panther was released, since that's what makes sense to do if Apple works on the current release and the next release at the same time.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Looks as if its going to be a little while longer before Tiger is released due to the high buggy nature of the existing version. That's ok...Panther will be perfect in another release or so, and I'll be keeping that for a while even if Tiger is released.

nubero

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Zurich
Darwin said:
I hope that Tigers release is close by

With this many known bugs still around (mind you that there are certainly more unknown as of now), I don't hope the release date is close by ;-)

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
im looking forward to tiger for an excuse to nuke my ibook and start over. no real reason to do so, i just like doing that every so often.

should i not being nuking my hard drive every so often?

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Hmm, lots of .mac sync problems still left. I'm not surprised since the .mac syncing sometimes works so extremely poorly now. Fix it so I can get rid of that thumb drive, or so I can fill up my Shuffle with only music.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Wonder Boy said:
im looking forward to tiger for an excuse to nuke my ibook and start over. no real reason to do so, i just like doing that every so often.

should i not being nuking my hard drive every so often?

Same here.

Ever since the last Sec. update my iMac G4 has been having the flashing folder problem...so maybe tiger(when it comes out) will fix this issue.

I'm sortof wondering if it's iMac related since my Ti PB and G5 PM didn't have similar issues...oh well.. it still boots..but just slower.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
A lot of these bugs seem to be in areas that are not new to the OS. I don't understand programming and I am sure that buy adding new things to the core effects other things at the core of the OS but it sure would be nice to see the list of bugs during the entire developmental cycle being limited to the new features. The iLife suite works well together now, why not in Tiger for example. Anyway I am just hoping like many others that it gets released when it is ready and not when marketing thinks the time is right.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
I thought Tiger would come out around May. When I think about it now I'm thinking late summer back to school time :( !

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
More likely WWDC, right?

But we'll see. They will need something to keep the company's momentum going until then.

Perhaps Tiger in April and Blistering-fast PowerMac G5's, which I am waiting for, at WWDC. I figure whatever they release for PM's will ship in December :D

fatfish

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2003
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Surely the number of fixes still required can't give a reliable estimate of when tiger will go gold. Sure the more there are, the longer it likely will be, but they could take days, weeks or months.

Also, is it not likely that they will only put so many fixes in a release for testing, then it's easy to fix new problems by the process of elimination. They may be well on the way to solving remaining problems but just don't want to put too many changes out at once.

gui_dos

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2004
swissmann said:
The iLife suite works well together now, why not in Tiger for example.

It seems that iMovie already supports Core Image: if you browse the
PlugIns directory in the 'iMovie HD.app' package you can find CoreImageEffects.bundle and CoreImageTransitions.bundle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.