Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I have a late '06 Macbook. I am unable to do the current gestures more than two fingers. Will the Lion multi-touch features work on this machine?

It is the 2ghz c2d

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
No, it lacks the proper hardware and can never recognize more then two fingers.

That's not fun for me. It's what I was dreading but I was thrown when it was said in the keynote that it will work on all trackpads, I will have to go back and rewatch that part.

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I have a late '06 Macbook. I am unable to do the current gestures more than two fingers. Will the Lion multi-touch features work on this machine?

It is the 2ghz c2d

Multitouch Macs, iPods, iPhones, iPads all have a Broadcom chip to enable the feature. Your mac lacks this hardware and can only recognize two finger scrolling.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Did any of the non-unibody Macbooks have the multi-touch trackpad? If so, I wonder if a replacement keyboard from a newer Macbook could work on a 2006 era macbook.

MRiOS

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
as far as I'm aware, the only machine that has full multitouch support on it's trackpad and isn't a unibody machine was the MacBook Pro released in early 2008, it was the last of the classic design before the switched to unibody.

johnny31390

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
CA, Los Angeles
What I find a bit disappointing is how the two finger forward and back in Lions Safari don't work on non multitouch trackpads even though only 2 fingers are necessary. =/

Excessionist

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Swipe sometimes work

Strangely enough, two-finger sideways swipe works like a charm in LaunchPad but not in Safari or any other places. In Safari, the two-finger sideways swipe is somehow recognized as different from a one-finger swipe (or it could simply be that the system when seeing two-finger sideways sends events which are ignored by Safari), since the pointer stays still when this gesture is used.

The only way this could conceivably happen would be if the "3 and more" touch gestures have another API than the two-touch, and Launchpad is capable of using both while Safari uses only the newer one. Will be interesting to see if Apple will bother to fix it for legacy users..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.