Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Is it possible that an unlocked iphone 3g can work on cricket's network? cricket plans are very affordable, e.g. unlimited voice, text, data for $50 per month. I talked to the cricket sales rep. They indicated that the voice, text will work but the 3g data may be crippled some. Any assistance would be great. TIA

TexanMan05

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Is it possible that an unlocked iphone 3g can work on cricket's network? cricket plans are very affordable, e.g. unlimited voice, text, data for $50 per month. I talked to the cricket sales rep. They indicated that the voice, text will work but the 3g data may be crippled some. Any assistance would be great. TIA

As long as Cricket has a SIM card then I'm sure an unlocked iPhone would work just like it would on any other network. Like the rep said, 3G may not be there all the time but everything else should work fine.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Cricket is CDMA. You won't be able to use any GSM phone on that, including the iPhone.

From their web site: "Transferring Service to Cricket®
If I transfer my wireless number to Cricket®, can I use the cell phone I already have?

You must have a Cricket® phone in order to use Cricket® service. Cricket® service uses a digital network that operates on Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) technology."

stoox

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008
Cricket is pretty picky on phones...
I Don't want to unlock my phone but i do want to use a different network because at&t is terrible.

TexanMan05

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Cricket is CDMA. You won't be able to use any GSM phone on that, including the iPhone.

If I transfer my wireless number to Cricket®, can I use the cell phone I already have?

You must have a Cricket® phone in order to use Cricket® service. Cricket® service uses a digital network that operates on Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) technology."

Well, there ya go. SO the answer is No.

eke2769

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
Help

I am trying to do the same. Do you have any info on who or where I may speak with? please help.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Are they building out their own network? Or are they some kind of MVNO, leasing space from verizon or sprint?

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Leap/Cricket has been around since 1999. It is very similar to MetroPCS in its business model. I had service with it in 2003-2005 when I lived in areas that it served. For what it claims to offer, it is a good service. It is especially good for someone who stays in town and just needs a basic phone. It has been steadily growing since its inception. It emerged from bankruptcy a few years ago and seems to be doing OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_Communications
http://www.mycricket.com

AN iPHONE CAN NOT BE USED ON CRICKET OR ANY OTHER NON-GSM PROVIDER.

oneanonle

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
cricket service

That is not true I have a verizon sprint smartphone that I had flashed over to cricket and it works just fine. All of my functions work perfectly. I've had it for two years now and have never had a problem with it and I don't use a card.

Helixthree

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
CDMA Verizon flashed for Cricket

I recently bought a clean esn Verizon iphone 16g off craigslist. It was already jeilbroken on firmware 4.2.8 by the previous owner. I then used SSH to locate the VZW310.PRL file on the iphone and replace it with a cricket prl file that was renamed VZW310.PRL.

I then had to access the carrier.plist file and change a binary variable... reboot the phone, change the variable back, reboot the phone and then afterwards upon dialing *228 instead of Verizon's over the air activation greeting i receive the 'welcome to cricket activation greeting'

I currently use a Sprint HTC Evo 4G on a Sprint contract with 4g. I am intrigued by the idea of a cheap cricket iPhone. I have read that so far it only works on talk and text. A friend is going to give me a real cricket phone to activate a service plan on, before i switch the iPhone to it later this week.

Has anyone else done this... or gotten this far?

As i understand it after i associate it to a cricket account i should be able to receive calls and SMS only... data when connected to wifi...

I am located in Portland OR... and will be trying it on a plan soon. As i understand it i can get a talk/text unlimited plan for $25 a month and pay my bill in cash with no credit check or commitment.

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index...oning_iPhone_4_using_file_system_(Incomplete)

Last edited:

Hueyfreeman

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
I see a lady on the bus with a phone that was clearly labeled cricket. It was an iphone four that much I am certain. It was also not a droid incredable nor is their any phones on cricket that look that much like an iphone

Gib

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I see a lady on the bus with a phone that was clearly labeled cricket. It was an iphone four that much I am certain. It was also not a droid incredable nor is their any phones on cricket that look that much like an iphone

iPhone's are not allowed to be labelled by their carrier partners (https://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/1...inside-the-apple-verizon-iphone-negotiations/), so I doubt it would be labelled by a company Apple has no affiliation with... It was not an iPhone.

hdtravel

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
Albuquerque NM
Cricket

The Verizon ( CDMA ) version of the iPhone 4 can definitely be unlocked and programmed to work on Cricket. You either have to have the expertise to do it yourself or find a Cricket dealer that will do it for you ( for a fee ).

Cricket is a very good budget carrier and both owns their own network and piggy backs on other CDMA carriers, so they do offer nationwide coverage.

Read about them at:

http://www.mycricket.com

tiffers29

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
iphone on cricket

That is not true I have a verizon sprint smartphone that I had flashed over to cricket and it works just fine. All of my functions work perfectly. I've had it for two years now and have never had a problem with it and I don't use a card.

you were able to use your verizon phone on cricket because it is a gsm carrier...no sim cards...at&t has sim cards as well as tmobile...those phones apparently cant be unlocked to use with a non sim card carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.