Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tradewind

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
For some reason synced ringtones will not appear on my iPhone. My ringtones are in the .M4R format, they are playable in iTunes, they are displayed in the "ringtones" folder in iTunes, and are also displayed in the "ringtones" tab of my iPhone in iTunes; however they simply do not appear on my iPhone when I go to settings after syncing.
Does anyone know what the problem is?
Thanks.

laughingperson5

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2009
in the ringtones tab....make sure you check marked the little button on that page....that makes the iphone and comp sync ringtones..duh.

iamse7en

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Ahh... it needs to be 40 seconds or less.

Thank you. I was mystified. I could have sworn they weren't cut off at 40 seconds in previous versions.

Danny SGV

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
I'm having the same problem. I uploaded a few ringtones to my itunes and then to my iphone on itunes. only one ended up on my phone. I deleted the one that would show and another that was on the ihpone list on itunes would show up. I deleted them and now i cant get any of them back on the iphone list on itunes.

So i was down to one only working to now none are working. Same files. :confused:

Danny SGV

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
i figured it out.
In itunes click device after your phone is pluged in., Go to the ringtones tab on the top make sure the "sync ringtones" tab is clicked. I also checked "Sync music" in the music tab.

So now if its on my itunes its on my phone. Only bad thing is I cant take it off my phone unless I take it out of itunes. No big deal thought. I uploaded 28 Ringtones.

noall666

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2006
no luck here. I just got new iphone 4.1 synced everything else but ringtones. they appear in itunes and in iphone, ringtones tab, and sync button is checked, using itunes 9.2, also tried all sync for ringtones and individual ones, they are all under 30 sec. and they are all m4r files. any help would be GREAT!

Temari13

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
i didn't make mine

I got my ringtones off of myxer.com, and even tho i synced my itunes and iphones, only two of my ringtones will show on my phone, and one is 40 seconds long, so the whole 30sec rule obviously doesn't apply here. Its really starting to get aggrevating. I have the sync ringtones, music, photos, etc buttons checked, but no matter how many times i've synced it, the other ringtones don't show. help please!

iloanel

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Ringtones won't appear in Iphone after sync

I got my ringtones off of myxer.com, and even tho i synced my itunes and iphones, only two of my ringtones will show on my phone, and one is 40 seconds long, so the whole 30sec rule obviously doesn't apply here. Its really starting to get aggrevating. I have the sync ringtones, music, photos, etc buttons checked, but no matter how many times i've synced it, the other ringtones don't show. help please!

I was having the same problem when I transferred myxer ringtones to itunes. First, from the RINGTONES menu under LIBRARY (If it's not listed under library, you can show it by going to EDIT > PREFERENCES), right click on the ringtone name, and click GET INFO. From there, under the INFO tab, make sure that the name and artist of the song is populated. Click OK. Do this for all the ringtones that you want to transfer.

Next, under DEVICES > Your iPhone name > RINGTONES, make sure SYNC RINGTONES is checked. I clicked SELECTED RINGTONES, and selected the ringtones that I wanted to sync. Then click SYNC on the bottom right of that screen.

It worked for me... I hope it works for you. :D

Reactions: nodnerber

Kaceman

macrumors newbie
I was having the same problem when I transferred myxer ringtones to itunes. First, from the RINGTONES menu under LIBRARY (If it's not listed under library, you can show it by going to EDIT > PREFERENCES), right click on the ringtone name, and click GET INFO. From there, under the INFO tab, make sure that the name and artist of the song is populated. Click OK. Do this for all the ringtones that you want to transfer.

Next, under DEVICES > Your iPhone name > RINGTONES, make sure SYNC RINGTONES is checked. I clicked SELECTED RINGTONES, and selected the ringtones that I wanted to sync. Then click SYNC on the bottom right of that screen.

Thanks - this worked. You're a star !

Hallingp

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Ringtones appear in itunes but don't sync to iphone with Windows 7

I had the same problem and wasted a couple of hours searching the web for solutions. My problem started after I updated to OS 5 on iphone 4 and the custom ringtone disappeared.

Your solution worked (i.e., added in the artist's name).

thanks!

natecannon

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
Boston, MA
Totally bizarre -- changing the artist name worked for me as well. I already had artist names listed in my ringtones, but I simply had to CHANGE the artist name for it start syncing. I can think of no logical explanation for this, but at least it works now!

sixxchic

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Ringtones still Not syncing

I tried following the instructions everyone posted and they are showing in itunes and under my ringtone tab on my iphone in itunes...but are not showing up in my phone:confused:

paulieB

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Finally got it to work

finlly got the ****ing thing to workkkkkkkkkkk

Last edited:

paulieB

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
I GOT IT TO WORKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! APPLE MAKES IT HARD BECAUSE THEY WANT YOU TO BUY THE FUNKIN RINGTONES......

1) open up itunes...lol
2) under "Devices" click on the first which is your iphone for ex: mine is my name
3)now you have a screen in itunes with a picture of your iphone
4)on the top you have options example: summary - info - apps - ringtones....
5)click on ringtones
6) THEN CLICK SNYC RINGTONES
7)hahahaha i spent hours untill i realised this was all I had to do.....

BY THE WAY your ringtone format must be in (.m4r) and i think max 20 or 40 seconds long...not a second over.....and by the way Steeve Jobs died of aids(homo sexual)....its not just some wikileaks rumor its true.....AIDS and homosexuality is very taboo in america and they didnt want to give a "bad face" to APPLE....;)

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Syncing them over to device isn't guarantee they will be on the phone after. I always uncheck sync for these as I always drag & drop everything from my iTunes library including music.

2bhansen

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
Ringtones won't appear in Iphone after sync

iloanel, you rock. I just updated my Iphone 4 with the latest Iphone update. This worked. This saved me so much time researching for a fix. I'm not Iphone savvy, so you saved me hours of research. Thank you :D:D:D

salmon420

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
It's the name. I'll be damned

It must be a conspiracy to buy the same tone again, which i almost did, until I did the search here. Just change the name of the artist to anything BUT what it was, just remove a vowel in iTunes, then sync.

bigcletus123

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
I'm having the same issue, but I don't have the "ringtones" tab on my device (ip4). Any ideas??

GOOD ONE

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
yay it worked

Just updated my iphone 4 couldnt get the ringtones to sync UNTIL I read this thread. Just had to change the artist name and start the sync again. :D

Thank you SO MUCH

----------

I'm having the same issue, but I don't have the "ringtones" tab on my device (ip4). Any ideas??

Did u rename the artists in itunes?

Z¡G

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I just recently had this problem after restoring to 5.0.1 and jailbreaking w/ redsn0w. thought maybe redsn0w caused since I never had this w/ my Sn0wbreeze jailbreak.

But any way here is how I fixed it.

Top left of iTunes I clicked "Help">Run Diagnostics>I only clicked on Device Sync connectivity&Sync Test. I just did that. Said there was something wrong with sync test. Then at the end (just keep clcicking "next" til there is no more "next" buttons to click:)) I click perform sync test, finished with no errors, and I was no longer having trouble syncing anything to my phone. Including all my ringtones.

Hope this helps. Oh and converting higher bit rate songs to 128 kpbs AAC should not effect anything in any way..........................at all. Especially the syncing of "anything" from iTunes to iDevice. Sometimes it will cause songs and stuff to takes twice-3 times as long when that setting is set. That is not suppose to happen. Should be just as fast. I dont remember the fix tho, only used it once, so I dont remember. Google it. Thought I'd let ya guys know that there is really no setting that will stop ringtones from syncing to your device. There are only settings to stop "automatic syncing". When you can't "manually" sync something to your phone, it means you need to investigate. Under no circumstances should you not be able to manually sync "anything" to your device, no matter what settings are set in iTunes. And hopefully running a sync test will help fix your problems like it did me.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

knally

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
I just got the iphone 4 and i found out how to sync the ringtones and download them from myxer. The ringtones i created from my music library on my phone i can only download one of them. After i change the name of the artist so it will sync (cuz i had that problem too) i can download them but if i download more at different times it erases the previous ones i synced. Also the ringtones i downloaded from myxer when i get into the get info to change the song name it doesnt let me do anything. Cant click on anything to edit them or nothing. Im about to throw my phone out a window.....please help

Last edited:

tinychef

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
ringtones

I have about 20 ringtones that only show up in my tones section under the iPhone section. They do not show up in my iTunes Tones section at all and they are not on my computer. They are also no longer on my phone (they were there this morning) I have no idea what happened. The only thing I have done was synch my phone this afternoon after work and now all my ringtones are in some kind of limbo and I don't know how to get them back.
I also can't get two new ringtones to synch to my phone. These two are in my iTunes Tones folder, they are in the correct format and my tones section is checked off in the general preferences page. I have no idea what is going on. Help me please!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.