Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Randomdood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Ok so i bought an iphone 3gs. When its on, it says connect to itunes when u do it says please insert sim card.So i did, now it says please use official sim card or supported.Now my question is, if i get an official one will i need to activate the phone? I just want to unlock the phone but i cant without sim card, is there an alternative way?Can i unlock the phone without a sim card? How would i find out the os to jailbreak it then unlock.I know how to unlock just never been in this situation.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Ok so i bought an iphone 3gs. When its on, it says connect to itunes when u do it says please insert sim card.So i did, now it says please use official sim card or supported.Now my question is, if i get an official one will i need to activate the phone? I just want to unlock the phone but i cant without sim card, is there an alternative way?Can i unlock the phone without a sim card? How would i find out the os to jailbreak it then unlock.I know how to unlock just never been in this situation.

Did you buy it new or used? If used (and possibly new) you could use tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery/dfu which should reveal the software version.

Randomdood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Did you buy it new or used? If used (and possibly new) you could use tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery/dfu which should reveal the software version.

It is used, im lookin at red snow atm and wondering if i should do a hacktivation.My only problem is i dont know the software version, what is this you were recommending? I know dfu mode, but then what would i do to check software again?

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
It is used, im lookin at red snow atm and wondering if i should do a hacktivation.My only problem is i dont know the software version, what is this you were recommending? I know dfu mode, but then what would i do to check software again?

If you want to be sure of the software version (for redsn0w and to unlock) you can use Tiny Umbrella. In Tiny Umbrella there's an option labeled "Exit Recovery" (if I remember correctly). This will get you out of the "connect to iTunes screen" and show you the home screen, which will give you access to settings where you can check the software version.

Alternatively, you could try using redsn0w with different IPSW versions until you find one that works.

Randomdood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
If you want to be sure of the software version (for redsn0w and to unlock) you can use Tiny Umbrella. In Tiny Umbrella there's an option labeled "Exit Recovery" (if I remember correctly). This will get you out of the "connect to iTunes screen" and show you the home screen, which will give you access to settings where you can check the software version.

Alternatively, you could try using redsn0w with different IPSW versions until you find one that works.

Thank you, but i hear if you keep guessing, you will have to do a real restore because you could potentially ruin your os.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Thank you, but i hear if you keep guessing, you will have to do a real restore because you could potentially ruin your os.

No problem.

I've never heard of that problem before. But the first method, Tiny Umbrella, is incredibly simple.

Randomdood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
No problem.

I've never heard of that problem before. But the first method, Tiny Umbrella, is incredibly simple.

Yes dld it verified what i already knew, this can put your iphone in recover mode.And tell you all the info on it/ now what else can you do with this, if you dont mind me asking it seems like an incredibly powerful tool tbh.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Yes dld it verified what i already knew, this can put your iphone in recover mode.And tell you all the info on it/ now what else can you do with this, if you dont mind me asking it seems like an incredibly powerful tool tbh.

It's primary function is to save your SHSH blobs, and allow you to restore to an older version of iOS if you have the blobs saved. iTunes/Apple only signs the newest firmware version, so if you tried to restore to 4.1, for example, iTunes would throw an error. If you run Tiny Umbrella and start the TSS server, it will trick iTunes into thinking Apple is still signing whatever software version you're trying to install, as long as you have that blob saved inside of Tiny Umbrella.

Randomdood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
It's primary function is to save your SHSH blobs, and allow you to restore to an older version of iOS if you have the blobs saved. iTunes/Apple only signs the newest firmware version, so if you tried to restore to 4.1, for example, iTunes would throw an error. If you run Tiny Umbrella and start the TSS server, it will trick iTunes into thinking Apple is still signing whatever software version you're trying to install, as long as you have that blob saved inside of Tiny Umbrella.

Ok so i saved mine i beleive, i should be ok if i mess up then correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.