Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Incredible

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Southern California
So, about a week or two ago, I thought my hard drive was dying cause my computer has been running slowly for the past couple of weeks/months.

My friend told me about this program, called MacKeeper. That it's like an antivirus, and will delete unnecessary folders, and will tell you how your hard drive is behaving, and so on, and so forth.

I just want to know if other members here use it also? Is it any good, and worth the money?

http://mackeeper.zeobit.com/index

Its costs $40 for 1 Mac, $60 for 2, and $80 for 5. Obviously, I'm just going to buy it for just my computer, so yeah.

Does anyone have this? Is it worth the money?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Heck no. Don't use any of those programs that claim they will delete unnecessary folders for you. They all tend to delete too much which causes problems. Download Onyx if you think something is wrong with your HDD.

Nov 28, 2010
located
So, about a week or two ago, I thought my hard drive was dying cause my computer has been running slowly for the past couple of weeks/months.
There could be other ways to test. For example have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Acitivty_Monitor.png

My friend told me about this program, called MacKeeper. That it's like an antivirus, and will delete unnecessary folders, and will tell you how your hard drive is behaving, and so on, and so forth.
No need for an AV software:
The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

Does anyone have this? Is it worth the money?
I don't have it and reading some threads, it is not worth the money.

Maybe also try Disk Utility and verify/repair permission and disk.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
Surely you could just delete folders yourself if you wanted. Im a bit spectacle of anything which is going through my computer deleting stuff.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't recommend any of those "cleaning" programs. I've used Monolingual to remove unwanted languages and architectures, but even with that, I recommend caution. If you don't know what you're doing, you can end up creating more problems than you solve. One app in particular that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

Mr. Incredible

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Southern California
There could be other ways to test. For example have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Acitivty_Monitor.png

No need for an AV software:

I don't have it and reading some threads, it is not worth the money.

Maybe also try Disk Utility and verify/repair permission and disk.

In regards to the GGJstudios link about the Mac Virus/Malware stuff.

When I went to system preferences, network, advanced, and DNS, the servers and search domains (charter) were grayed out, preventing me from making any changes.

He posted a link to a site, but I think that site is for PC, because I can't find a system, or systemconfiguration anywhere on my iMac.

Help?

Edit: Also, I'm noticing that in the examples, the DNS servers are xxx.xx.xxx.xxx and xxx.xxx.xxx.xx, where as mine is just xx.x.x.x. (the x's are replacing the digits).

So, is something wrong with my DNS server? It's only 5 digits, compared to the 11 digit examples given in the links that you provided.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Don't delete files unless you know what they are. Most of these programs are programed to restore your mac to a standard state and don't recognize all 3rd party software. So it may say well I don't know what pro tools is or the extensions that relate to that so, there junk delete them they do not belong. And it will ask you stuff like do you want to " delete file qx34.lib"? So you say yes or yes to all. Then............... why wont my my Captain Cactus game load? It launches and always says missing file " qx34.lib" Captain Cactus will now quit.:mad:

However there are several professional clean up programs that you may purchase that usually run $100.00 and up, but you still should know what you're deleting.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
When I went to system preferences, network, advanced, and DNS, the servers and search domains (charter) were grayed out, preventing me from making any changes.
If they are the ones that were provided by your router you can just press the [+] button at the bottom and enter a new DNS server and it will get rid of the default.

Edit: Also, I'm noticing that in the examples, the DNS servers are xxx.xx.xxx.xxx and xxx.xxx.xxx.xx, where as mine is just xx.x.x.x. (the x's are replacing the digits).

So, is something wrong with my DNS server? It's only 5 digits, compared to the 11 digit examples given in the links that you provided.
The IP address(s) for the DNS server and other things will be made up of 4 decimal numbers, so if ours is currently something like 10.0.1.1 then it's fine, as would say 208.67.222.222. The first example is made up of 10, 0, 1 and 1, where the second example is made up of 208, 67, 222 and 222. The decimal numbers can range from 0 to 255.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In regards to the GGJstudios link about the Mac Virus/Malware stuff.

Did you first click the padlock and enter your admin password, as indicated in steps 1 and 2?
He posted a link to a site, but I think that site is for PC, because I can't find a system, or systemconfiguration anywhere on my iMac.
If you notice, the site is "Mac OS X Hints" and that article says 10.5 and references AppleCare. It's clearly written for Mac OS X, not for Windows. The file path is specified in that article:
/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/IPConfiguration.bundle/Contents/Resources/IPConfiguration.xml​
When you get to IPConfiguration.bundle, right-click it and select "Show Package Contents" to see the rest of the path.

All DNS servers are specified by 4 groups of numbers, separated by decimal points. Each number can be 1, 2 or 3 digits, ranging from 0 to 255.
IPConfiguration.bundle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.