Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iweb_icon.jpg

Since last week's unveiling of Apple's new iCloud service and the transitioning of the company's existing MobileMe service into iCloud, many users have been wondering about the fate of some of the MobileMe services that were not mentioned in the transition discussion. In particular, users have been concerned about iWeb, Apple's website creation software included with iLife that can be integrated with site hosting via MobileMe.

One concerned iWeb/MobileMe user emailed Apple CEO Steve Jobs to ask about the fate of the offering, and reportedly received confirmation that users will indeed need to find alternative hosting for their sites once MobileMe is officially discontinued. All existing MobileMe users have received free subscription extensions through June 30, 2012, at which time the service will cease to exist and the transition to iCloud will be complete.
Q: Dear Mr. Jobs,

Will I need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host my sites?

I have invested a lot of time and effort and the thought of re-training sucks more than mobileme ever did.

A: Yep.

Sent from my iPhone
As usual, the authenticity can not be confirmed with absolute certainty, but we have examined the email headers and believe them to be legitimate. Replies from Jobs' account are not particularly unusual, and he has in the past acknowledged being personally responsible for at least some, if not all, of the correspondence.

Apple's iWeb software saw its last major update with the release of iLife '09 in January 2009. The application did not receive a major update with the release of iLife '11 late last year, although Apple has continued to bundle it with the new iLife suite. The company has continued to periodically issue minor bug fixes for iWeb, most recently in February of this year.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Confirms Discontinuation of iWeb in iCloud Transition

d0mth0ma5

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
Agg, this is getting old.
He's not a saint or a god of some sort. Stop expecting him with flowers coming to each person's house and answering their desired questions.

So just don't reply then. If he doesn't reply he doesn't look bad he just hasn't replied to one of thousands of emails. The manner in which he replies is purely for show and it doesn't portray him in a good light.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I've had just about enough of those "yep" responses from Steve Jobs. The sender was obviously distraught about all the work they had put into their website, and all Jobs can reply is "yep"? He couldn't even throw in a "tough *****, not my problem"? Lame.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
It's probably good for the Internet as a whole to get people off of iWeb

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
I thought you could export sites from iWeb into a folder.. surely this person only needs to find a new host that allows FTP uploads? Wouldn't really require much retraining.. :)

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Agg, this is getting old.
He's not a saint or a god of some sort. Stop expecting him with flowers coming to each person's house and answering their desired questions.

Not a Saint, not a God, you are right.

However, he is the CEO of one of the largest tech companies in the world. When a fan emails you to ask something like this, such a terse reply won't be agreeable for most people.

Godgem

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
iweb

iweb suck. Just use wordpress and buy hosting not big deal instead of paying 99dollars to Apple. And you should hire someone who make custom theme just for you.

carboncow

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Considering the guy who asked the question asked it in a dickish manor, the reply was fine. Nobody said he cannot continue to use the crappy iWeb with another $3 a month hosting service.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
Good move Apple. I never liked iWeb's unique website code. There are plenty of better options for creating and hosting websites.

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
I thought you could export sites from iWeb into a folder.. surely this person only needs to find a new host that allows FTP uploads? Wouldn't really require much retraining.. :)

You are absolutely correct. You can easily publish the site to a folder.

If Sandvox had a utility to then import the site then they would have a ready customer base to switch from iWeb to Sandvox 2 which is very iWeb-like and easy to use.

The big advantage of these applications is their ease of use and are much simpler to use than other web-centric apps which tend to only work if you have an active internet connection. I need a desktop app and so do my clients.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
No Retraining Necessary

As I am sure that people have said, Apple is discontinuing the iDisk web hosting, they aren't going to people's Macs to delete iWeb. You can still use iWeb as much as you want. You can set iWeb to upload to an FTP server or your own network server. Of course, after a few years, iWeb will be really outdated, so then you can find something else. I recommend Sandvox. It's similar to iWeb and it won an Apple design award.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Can someone shed some light on the "training"? I'm a web developer and I'm a bit confused on what the writers reference to re-training was? Don't you just build you site and find a host?

Update: So its an application that uploads to iWeb? As mentioned by another poster, Wordpress is a great option, its free and with most major hosting, there is a Wordpress install plug in, you don't even need to know how to set it up. Its part of the control panel, you just need to initiate the install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.