Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I agree with you.
See the hypocrisy ... People get angry if I post a similar opinion of him. Speaking ones opinion on this forum is inviting an attack of the yes men.

Could be seen that way but we're probably over-thinking it. Guy asked a question... Steve's busy and just said "yes". Done. As a CEO answering emails from complete strangers it's probably best to say as little as possible anyways.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
Just get another company to host your web site at a cost lower than MobileMe cost you. You can still use iWeb to design/change it. You just need to get someone to host it. That is very easy to do. You are not screwed. Did you really expect Steve to foot the bill for every Apple user to have a free web site? You get a whole extra year for free to figure out what to do next. Hell of a guy, that Steve is.

And we have a year to do it. Had Apple discontinued the service in say 30 days, that would be a different story.

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've got three different sites created with iWeb, two of which are hosted through MobileMe. I started looking for replacement services the day iCloud was introduced. Too bad... :-(

zetsurin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
What should he say exactly?

- We are sorry for taking this useful feature away.
- Please find another service that gives you this feature.
- I am sorry for this resentment of yours. I hope I can be more fair in the future.

:rolleyes:

Do you really expect Steve Jobs to write in each and every email he actually replies to?

Given that the sender's livelihood depends on the recipient, then YES. You fanboys are starting to sound like Apple ownership is some sort of honour. They are a business, they need to treat the customers like they are where the money comes from!

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
i wish they offered iDisk (with 20 gb storage), MobileMe Gallery (or iCloud Gallery ;) ) and this hosting for maybe $25 a year. that would a great deal for most users. The 20 gb could be an add on to your existing 5 gb for 25 gb total.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
This is how the HTC CEO responded to many complaints from fans and customers of htc and android, about the locked boot loader policy they implemented:

“There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we’ve listened. Today, I’m confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience,” Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

Considering Steve represents apple, I would expect him to respond in a professional manner instead of the dickish way he normally responds to fans and customers.

The htc CEO realises without customers their company is nothing, it seems Steve thinks otherwise.

pkson

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
So I'm assuming iDVD will become obsolete soon, eh?

Since Apple is trying to rid themselves of any tangible media, I guess so, but it was the easiest/simplest DVD authoring tool I've ever used, and I'd hate to see it go... I hope there's another way we can package videos similar to a DVD experience.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Why does this app need to go away?

iWeb can be used to create sites hosted in other locations than just mobileme.

Apple should continue to support this app for people who want to create a web site.

Unfortunately I think most people are just looking to post their stuff on social networks and the statistics are steering the development.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've had just about enough of those "yep" responses from Steve Jobs. The sender was obviously distraught about all the work they had put into their website, and all Jobs can reply is "yep"? He couldn't even throw in a "tough *****, not my problem"? Lame.

Frankly I can't thinking that there is more to this than how it has been painted. "Yep" isn't really Jobs style. He's succinct but he is usually more clear with the phrasing. "iWeb is done" is more Job's tone.

If the headers are real then I can't help wondering if they were for a computer on the Campus and perhaps the one in Jobs office. But it doesn't mean he was sitting behind it. Could have an assistant who doesn't perhaps know the full score.

Could be that the answer was iWeb is gone, but no mention of the new program that will take its place. or no mention of idisk's successor. But the person reporting this to the site painted it differently.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Nobody is getting "screwed" here. You will still have the iWeb that you bought. The only thing going away is Apple's hosting; you can find cheap hosting in a zillion places. iWeb will publish to any of them if they offer FTP (the only ones I've seen that don't are the free ones).

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Never cared for iWeb. However, I'm still made they discontinued Claris Homepage!

I'm starting to worry about things getting left behind. For instance I have an old MacBook that I use as my "kitchen" machine. I just use it for checking email, web-browsing and other light things. It is an original MacBook Core Duo and will not be upgradable to 10.7 Lion. But still I would like to have my mail accounts, bookmarks, calendars, contacts etc. synced with my other Macs, PCs, iPhone and iPad which I have now synced with MobileMe. Seems like it is going to be left behind if they don't offer iCloud for 10.6.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I know exactly zero people who use iWeb. It's the worst piece of crap site builder I've ever seen.

What we all want to know is, will MobileMe GALLERIES remain?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Bit of a dickish reply even for Jobs.

Major dickish way to ask a question.

Read it again.

Q: Dear Mr. Jobs,

Will I need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host my sites?

I have invested a lot of time and effort and the thought of re-training sucks more than mobileme ever did.

A: Yep.

Sent from my iPhone

Translation:

Dear Mr. Jobs:

Would you please take the time to answer my question.

*question is asked*

By the way, the service you created and which so many users paid for over several years sucks.

NOW read Jobs' response. All clear now?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What was the problem with iWeb?

Gross coding with duplicate copies of every image, horrid iFrame for widgets etc. Not to mention limited customization of the templates with any level of ease, no support for keywords, searching etc.

What they need is a system more like wordpress, blogger etc and software with the ease of use (and an iOS app) that iweb was supposed to achieve but without losing the sophistication of good code. Wouldn't hurt if they had a feature to make creating mobile versions easier or even use HTML5

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
This is how the HTC CEO responded to many complaints from fans and customers of htc and android, about the locked boot loader policy they implemented:

“There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we’ve listened. Today, I’m confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience,” Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

Considering Steve represents apple, I would expect him to respond in a professional manner instead of the dickish way he normally responds to fans and customers.

The htc CEO realises without customers their company is nothing, it seems Steve thinks otherwise.

That is a much better reply... no question. But that's a very different situation. "Overwhelming customer feedback" is very different from one guy sending an email about - let's face it - an outdated stepchild of an app that very few people use. And I doubt the Peter Chou actually wrote that response. It wasn't a quick response he tapped off on his own to an individual customer. It was addressed to everyone and most likely written and/or vetted by their PR department.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Bit of a dickish reply even for Jobs.

Dickish? I think it's remarkably honest. He's right to the point, unafraid to say yes and no even when it's bad news. That's actually a sign of an honest person. A more direct and less circuitous response style tends to indicate a truthful personality. It's "dickish" only if you're overly sensitive.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyway, Jobs always responds this way. Seems some of us aren't accustomed to it yet or we're new.

By the way, it's new Apple gear that counts and devs making money that counts, not a CEO's response to e-mails. If you're looking for form-letter boilerplate BS and empty platitudes then there's plenty of that to go around. At least Jobs doesn't BS in what appears to be his own correspondence. And frankly, most customers in Apple's market don't care either way. Just give us more damn Apple gear. That's all that matters.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
So I'm assuming iDVD will become obsolete soon, eh?

Since Apple is trying to rid themselves of any tangible media, I guess so, but it was the easiest/simplest DVD authoring tool I've ever used, and I'd hate to see it go... I hope there's another way we can package videos similar to a DVD experience.

Well, for the next few years, anyway, you could always use iDVD 09 (or whatever the latest is). It's not like the software will stop working next year. It just won't keep getting "the latest and greatest" updates from Apple.

I still use Quicken for Mac 2007 and it still works with dates in 2011. As much as I'd probably buy Quicken 2012, what I have works just fine for what I need it for and I'm happy with it.

It sounds like you're happy with iDVD. Stick with it.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I hate to see iweb go. it had lots of potential for people who want to make a nice quick website.

as for his response it doesnt surprise me his response his a little cocky or rude. The person is upset about losing iweb. Steve is worried about his health. He is suffering from cancer, so why does he care about the schmucks who cant use iweb.

steve may lose his life from cancer and none of his billions will save him, just like george harrison. Jobs doesnt give a crap about any mac user

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Major dickish way to ask a question.

Read it again.

Q: Dear Mr. Jobs,

Will I need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host my sites?

I have invested a lot of time and effort and the thought of re-training sucks more than mobileme ever did.

A: Yep.

Sent from my iPhone

Translation:

Dear Mr. Jobs:

Would you please take the time to answer my question.

*question is asked*

By the way, the service you created and which so many users paid for over several years sucks.

NOW read Jobs' response. All clear now?

Very good point.

I think iweb will be supported still even if Apple doesn't host the site. And perhaps sites will be hosted on icloud anyway.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
If they get rid of iDisk then I'll be canceling my account. I JUST finished moving all of my stuff OFF Google/DropBox to MobileMe and now this..

****ing Hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.