Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Hey guys.

So I was just given an Iphone 3G for free from my friend. The power button is broke.

So, when I got the iphone I wanted to erase all contents. So, I did this.

Now the phone is stuck in a loop. It shows the apple logo, then turns off, then does that again.

I know that this is because the Operating System has been deleted, and that I need to enter DFU mode to be able to restore this in itunes.

Is there any other way that I can restore this iphone (and have it be recognized by itunes) other than using the power button?

What if I just let the phone die?

edit: I found a program called recboot. Will this put my iphone into DFU/recovery mode, so I can do a restore through itunes?

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You would've been better off connecting to iTunes and restoring. You should not use the iPhone erase with a broken power button. DFU is achievable only by physical means. You formatted your phone. Recboot works on phones that have an iOS on it.
You didn't mention what happened when you connected to iTunes.

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Hey,

Yea, I had no idea what I was using. But a better warning should be given by apple on this issue. (Tons of people have this issue on the apple support site.)

Itunes doenst recognize the iphone. All that happens when I plug the iphone in USB, is that it charges.

I do have the appropriate tools to take this thing apart. Should I do this, and see if I can fix or buy a new top button? Or should I see what apple says?

Last edited:

lyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
My new issue, is that when I try to restore to 4.2.1 in itunes, I get error 3194.

Can someone help me?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.