Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kxbcvoi

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
September is the time for iPod. I don't think that they will launch both iPhone and iPod touch at the same time. Any idea?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
September is the time for iPod. I don't think that they will launch both iPhone and iPod touch at the same time. Any idea?
They didn't launch iPhone in September also. What's wrong for them to release the iPhone and iPod Touch with more or less similar specs at the same time?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Final testing, you say?

Let's hit the bars, fellas. There's bound to be a few in the wild somewhere.

brb cupertino bars.
See you at Paul & Eddie's!

:D
They didn't launch iPhone in September also. What's wrong for them to release the iPhone and iPod Touch with more or less similar specs at the same time?
I don't think the supply chain can handle it.

Apple and their manufacturing partners had severe availability issues when the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 released last year, three months apart. Apple basically sells three iPhones for every two iPod touches. I simply don't believe that they can ramp production to launch both products within a month of each other.

The biggest problem is availability of the display parts followed closely by silicon. The supply demands are mitigated by a staggered iPad/iPhone/iPod touch release schedule. Cramming everything together doesn't help the situation.

brandnewfunk

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
This is good news. Although, while I'm hoping for a different form factor (the current 4G seems sort of clunky to me, I never really liked the design), I don't foresee a significant change because of not only Apple's typical product refresh schedule but also from all the different rumors floating around and the fact that iOS has (arguably) not changed significantly from 4 to 5, which seems to also mark a hardware change if the software change is rather large.

Btw, nice mockup. Exactly the same as last year's mockup almost. Haha.

Terrible idea, to say the least. ;)

haha. be honest... Say you weren't a tad bit disappointed in iOS 5?

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
the one thing i would love is a 4" amoled screen with retina resolution. that would be perfect, and this tech already exists.
But i doubt Apple will humour me...

Fredd-E

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
fall: iOS 5 + iPhone 5 = makes sense!

it would be rather illogical to name it anything else but iPhone 5.

Castiel

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Ohio
Verizon JUST got the iPhone and they're already trying to screw their customers....
No different from any other technological equipment. Technology moves so fast, nearly anything you buy in that sense is out-dated very quickly. Phones are no different. Just sayin'

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
I think that launching the iPhone and iPods at almost the same time would cause extreme burden on factories that can't even churn out iPad 2s in time.

Optimus Frag

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
North Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Current iPhone 4 contract due for upgrade in December. Nice timing.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Hopefully they'll get rid of the Glass back.... Aluminum ftw. Maybe curved edges too? iPad 2 Style <3

You know, as much as I do love the back of the iPhone 4, I think I'm inclined to agree with you on this one.....following the lead of the iPad and iPod Touch back designs would probably be good...for both thinness and sturdiness i would think.

Also, I would appreciate consistency in Apple's iOS design line. It makes sense to do so.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I think that launching the iPhone and iPods at almost the same time would cause extreme burden on factories that can't even churn out iPad 2s in time.

I think they have different factories for different devices (or at least separate manufacturing processes).

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
That's a nice mock-up. I was going to do one until I googled iPhone 4 and called it good.

Regardless Apple will have to change something about the general appearance to "show" consumers" it is different. Doesn't have to be major but just something.

BTW if I hear one more 3GS user complain about being on their last leg I will scream. Try a 3G in iOS4.

Considering what I have been reading the iPhone 4 is going to be the ipad 1 to the iPhone 5, so I must have one for sure. Anyway I really am tired of the black one after seen first hand the white iPhone at the Apple Store oh so :cool:.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Yep, I can see them tying this in with the release of iOS5; announcing new iPhone with iOS5, which is also now available to iOS4 users.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
"You can't make an oled display with this resolution right now" - Steve Jobs, Jun 7, 2010

Sony already has an 11 inch TV and Samsung I believe had up to a 21 inch so I don't think think that is the issue, its more about the price and OLED is expensive right now but give it a few more years and we will see it in all its glory, maybe 2013 either way I don't think its going to be to long before we start to see it. :)

Just not for the iPhone 5 or even iPad 3. Now a big deal there are plenty of toys for me to play with.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I think iOS 5 is awesome and huge!! We have not seen all of the features. We heard of other features, but not all of them. I think the iPhone will be a big improvement as well. My wish list: bigger screen, bigger storage (64 or more), LTE v2, nfc, improve camera components, a surprise that is unknown!!

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Terrible idea, to say the least. ;)

Part of me would love to do that. I love the design of the iPhone 4, but am increasingly drawn to the Windows Phone 7 OS. But don't like the look of any of the handsets.

Bootcamp for iPhone anyone? :D

"You can't make an oled display with this resolution right now" - Steve Jobs, Jun 7, 2010

Notice he said "now" and this quote is a year old.

Last edited:

cactus33

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
That looks decently nice,

But I really love the iP4 design, so I HOPE :apple: sticks with a '4S' and keeps the same design.... !

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I think iOS 5 is awesome and huge!! We have not seen all of the features. We heard of other features, but not all of them. I think the iPhone will be a big improvement as well. My wish list: bigger screen, bigger storage (64 or more), LTE v2, nfc, improve camera components, a surprise that is unknown!!

Hardware changes are always possible, but I think we now know all the software changes that are coming in iOS5 except perhaps a few really minor ones:

http://www.ieatapples.com/ios5/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.