Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patoma16

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
I was leaving my car, with my iPad (with the useless smartcover on) when all of a sudden my baby brother comes along and slaps my iPad out of my hand. Luckily it feel on its side first before the hard concrete hit the glass panel. This left me with a horribly scratched iPad 2. It's whole right metallic bezel is just chipped. Something very noticeable while staring at. I researched, and found out that apples warranty doesn't cover cosmetic defects, but that got me thinking. I bought my iPad 2 on day 1, and it had a huge light leakage problem, but I decided to ignore it. So my question is, will apple replace my iPad 2 under light leakage issues even though I spent four months without telling them about it?

And another thing, apple seems to have certain "exceptions" whenever my family buys/sends apple products to the genius bar. For example, like 5 months ago, I opened up my iPhone 4 to try to do a white conversion, but ended up screwing something up on it. The water sensor was enabled, and the phone would not boot up. When I got to the apple store, the cliked away on their computers and after 15 minutes or so (after having already opened up the phone) activated me a completely new iPhone. Is this normal? Yet again my family is a huge apple consumer. We buy new macs almost yearly, as well as new iPhones/iPads for every family member. So, is it true apple has certain preferences? Another example was this time my sisters iMac was damaged during an airplane trip, and was out of warranty by like a year, and they repaired it (motherboard damage) free of charge. It's weird. So is this normal, and will it help me to get my iPad replaced?

jamesyd1991

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
the ipad 2 hasnt been out for four months, it really depends on the genius whether or not your ipad will get swapped out... I highly doubt they will give you special treatment just because of your past experiences

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
If the light leakage wasn't bad enough for you to take it back four months ago (and it wasn't, as you didn't take it back) then it's no reason to take it back now. And you want to use it as an excuse to get your marred iPad replaced? Disingenuous, terrible.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I will call them and pretend I'm you, tell them the story, and see what they say.

Wait, no, you can do that.

jelew1985

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
I had a friend that had his iPad kissing the cement that left a rather ugly spider web through the screen. Despite the damages, they replaced it for him. So it's worth a shot.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I cracked just the very corner of the screen and my iPad 2 had the Smart Cover on it. I took it in and wasn't surprised when they said they wouldn't do anything. The Smart Cover had a little tiny scratch on it though and they replaced that no problem.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
You could try it--rumor is that they will replace it once for the bleed problem. But it depends on how bad it is, and who you get.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Just reminds me that the smartcover is useless. I'd stick with a leather folio type of case, although it makes it slightly less accessible. Plus something like a folio would be easier to hide from baby brother, etc.

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
I was leaving my car, with my iPad (with the useless smartcover on) when all of a sudden my baby brother comes along and slaps my iPad out of my hand. Luckily it feel on its side first before the hard concrete hit the glass panel. This left me with a horribly scratched iPad 2. It's whole right metallic bezel is just chipped. Something very noticeable while staring at. I researched, and found out that apples warranty doesn't cover cosmetic defects, but that got me thinking. I bought my iPad 2 on day 1, and it had a huge light leakage problem, but I decided to ignore it. So my question is, will apple replace my iPad 2 under light leakage issues even though I spent four months without telling them about it?

And another thing, apple seems to have certain "exceptions" whenever my family buys/sends apple products to the genius bar. For example, like 5 months ago, I opened up my iPhone 4 to try to do a white conversion, but ended up screwing something up on it. The water sensor was enabled, and the phone would not boot up. When I got to the apple store, the cliked away on their computers and after 15 minutes or so (after having already opened up the phone) activated me a completely new iPhone. Is this normal? Yet again my family is a huge apple consumer. We buy new macs almost yearly, as well as new iPhones/iPads for every family member. So, is it true apple has certain preferences? Another example was this time my sisters iMac was damaged during an airplane trip, and was out of warranty by like a year, and they repaired it (motherboard damage) free of charge. It's weird. So is this normal, and will it help me to get my iPad replaced?

Mightas well try it. Make sure you're honest with them. If they ask about the scratches, tell them the truth. I once got an iPod replaced after the genius asked me if Ive dropped it and I said yes. He said that he'll give me a new one because I was honest with him. I guess so many people just lie to the genius' faces when its obvious to them that the device has been abused.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Show the genius the light leaking and he'll be forced to replace it anyway. They are replacing all iPads with backlight bleeding issues.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I'm sure Apple does read some of these post especially those of people trying to scam them using all the angles. Not referring to the OP in this post, but just trying to look at it from Apples view.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
It's a pity that the user instructions for the smart cover don't implicitly state that it shouldn't be thrown on concrete, that said, I've been throwing iPads on concrete my whole life and I've never had any problems.

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
You sound as if you've had good luck before and it might happen again, but the only thing you can do is go into the Apple Store, tell them what happened and let them decide. If its still functional they will probably be less likely to replace it.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
It's a pity that the user instructions for the smart cover don't implicitly state that it shouldn't be thrown on concrete, that said, I've been throwing iPads on concrete my whole life and I've never had any problems.

sarcasm. you own it.

;)

MagnusF

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
That´s like crashing a brand new car and wanting a new one because the rear windshield wiper was not working correctly.

My guess is no

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
they will probably do it but you'll be paying extra for the damages

they already do that for screens on iphones

Patoma16

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Pics

Ok, I'll add a few pictures of the iPad's scratch, as well as the light bleeding…

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 165
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 137
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 125
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 190
  • photo 1-1.jpg
    photo 1-1.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 176

Patoma16

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Here's a better look at the light bleeding...

Attachments

• Upload.jpg
    Upload.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 160
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 123
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 102

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
The light bleeding isn't nearly as bad as some other have posted in the light-bleeding section, and you dropped it for crying out loud! What's going to stop them saying it was the fall that did the damage that caused the light bleeding?

I don't mean to be overly negative here, but you need to learn the concept of accountability.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
It depends on the Genius. My friend's iPad fell out of his bag and shattered the glass. The Genius at Apple store replaced it for him free of charge. Just be honest and super nice. If they don't replace it, try at another store :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.