Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPad-3-3D-550x309-500x280.png

Could Apple shove a high-resolution 3D display in the iPad? Maybe! And that's just what Netbook News claims to discovered at the Display Taiwan tradeshow. They've got pictures and video of what is claimed to be an iPad 1 with a different, 3D, "very high resolution display".

We're pretty skeptical, but wanted to give you a chance to decide for yourself.

Article Link: Display Manufacturer Puts 3D Display in iPad Body?

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Probably fake, but it's just a matter of time before this technology is included in the displays (and all other Apple displays). Nintendo and Sony are diving head first into 3D technology. Apple will too.

Peteman100

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2011
Berkeley, CA
Probably fake, but it's just a matter of time before this technology is included in the displays (and all other Apple displays). Nintendo and Sony are diving head first into 3D technology. Apple will too.

I dunno. 3D is still such a gimmick. And Apple is normally very conservative about adopting new technology. Especially when it alters the user experience.

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK
It may not be fake, but it's certainly not something easy for use.

Besides the cost, I don't believe you could have such a passive 3D display for a device that can rotate orientation. Polorising can only work on one axis, not two.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

I won't be buying anything with a 3D display until you get rid of the two major issues:

1. Requiring 3d glasses
2. Requiring my face to be perfectly perpendicular to the screen.

So basically I won't be buying anything 3d for a long while.

Just because manufacturers are saying 3d is the future doesn't mean consumers have to accept it as so. If people don't buy they won't make them. And right now 3D is just an easy way for them to sell you new hardware and new content (3d HDTV, 3d capable bluray player, 3d monitor, 3d camera, 3d phone, 3d blurays, etc.)

DoogH

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
I won't be buying anything with a 3D display until you get rid of the two major issues:

1. Requiring 3d glasses
2. Requiring my face to be perfectly perpendicular to the screen.

So basically I won't be buying anything 3d for a long while.

Just because manufacturers are saying 3d is the future doesn't mean consumers have to accept it as so. If people don't buy they won't make them. And right now 3D is just an easy way for them to sell you new hardware and new content (3d HDTV, 3d capable bluray player, 3d monitor, 3d camera, 3d phone, 3d blurays, etc.)

That iPad doesn't require 3D glasses... Ever seen the Nintendo 3DS? No glasses required for 3D...

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
No 3D for me, hate it. If it was like the Nintendo 3DS but higher quality and MUCH better viewing angle, OK, that's fine, but ALL 3D technology right now sucks and I have no desire to get on that bandwagon.

lezone

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Not necessarily a fake

His comment about higher resolution displays was more an offhand comment about Apple working on them, not necessarily that the one he was looking at was actually higher resolution than normal.

It's also ridiculous for him to speculate that what he is looking at is an Apple prototype. If someone got ahold of an actual Apple prototype the last thing they would do is put it on display at a convention. Not to mention that if Apple hates stylus' they sure as hell aren't going to make people wear glasses.

So ignoring all that nonsense it's actually fairly simple to make the iPad 3d with glasses. The glasses he has on are clearly of the polarized variety, so putting a thin polarized film with alternating lines of polarization on it would allow properly interlaced images to be presented correctly. The film would have to be lined up properly so the company would probably have to do it for you but otherwise easy peasy.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Not possible, first of all 3D requires double the resolution, not to mention 120HZ fast refresh rate monitor, which you cannot find with IPS displays..

When I say that I mean a high resolution iPad with 3D is not possible :p

Seanozz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

3d tech with no glasses has been around over a decade but it lost it's financing way long ago. There is a really cool documentary on Netflix about it.

Nintendo seems to have found a way to do it on a small portable level and I think for 3d to take off it's gonna have to loose the glasses.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
If it's a 3D display using similar technology to the Nintendo 3DS, the iPad will not be 3D in Portrait position; it would only work in perfect horizontally aligned Landscape position. Otherwise it would distort the image.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
That iPad doesn't require 3D glasses... Ever seen the Nintendo 3DS? No glasses required for 3D...

The presenter says in the video that it does. From the blur remaining even when face on to the camera, you can see that it does.

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Apple improved the user experience of touch devices by throwing away the stylus. Watch the launch video; Jobs hates the idea of a stylus. Considering this and Apple's love for simplicity in hardware design and UI, and their time they take to adopt new technologies I seriously doubt Apple will ever ship a 3D product requiring glasses.

If it can be done in high res, low power, no glasses and acceptable viewing angle then there's a chance.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
I don't think its fake. I think its a display someone modified an ipad to hold. And it might not have the same insides as an ipad. Why must a 9.7 inch touch screen be fake? Is it running IOS? Cause if not...that means its obviously modded.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Polarizing can only work on one axis, not two.

Actually, recent 3D theaters (RealD, not Imax) operate using circular polarization (clockwise/counterclockwise). Would work fine for a glasses-enabled 3D iPad.

Only catch is methinks Apple would never use glasses-based 3D do to extensive bad rap.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Its probably someone unofficially stuffing a 3d display into an ipad, as it does only seem to work on that one axis. Would apple go for a 3d display? Not sure as they're not one to jump on anything that's popular.... blue-ray anyone! :)

scarecrowmac

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
South Coast of NSW, Australia
did you see the couple of times he almost turned the iPad on its side and corrected himself, then at the end it was on a slant enough to rotate the display and it doesn't. and whats with the tape on the back...

fake

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.