Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
My sister was using my old 3GS. It was working great. Then a while ago I found out she was using a 4 and she told me the 3GS stopped "getting signal" or would just get 1 bar but never work. So she had to get a new phone.

I think she took it to an AT&T store as well... so I'm thinking it's a hardware issue?

I was hoping maybe she was just technologically inept, so I asked for the phone and am trying to figure out if it's anything I can fix. I just reset everything on the phone and tried putting in a few old sim cards that we don't use anymore.

They were showing up as having 1 bar but no carrier or anything was listed when the "connect to iTunes" screen was up, but after I synced it once it just says no service. I have yet to try an active SIM card because I don't have one (just my micro sim). I might try to borrow someone's at work tomorrow just to give it a shot.

Anyway, is there any known issue like this out there? If it is a hardware issue, how much would it cost to fix? The phone is perfectly fine otherwise and is basically a 16GB iPod touch right now.

Thanks for any info:D:apple:

DeanPuwananuwat

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Auckland, NZ
My sister was using my old 3GS. It was working great. Then a while ago I found out she was using a 4 and she told me the 3GS stopped "getting signal" or would just get 1 bar but never work. So she had to get a new phone.

I think she took it to an AT&T store as well... so I'm thinking it's a hardware issue?

I was hoping maybe she was just technologically inept, so I asked for the phone and am trying to figure out if it's anything I can fix. I just reset everything on the phone and tried putting in a few old sim cards that we don't use anymore.

They were showing up as having 1 bar but no carrier or anything was listed when the "connect to iTunes" screen was up, but after I synced it once it just says no service. I have yet to try an active SIM card because I don't have one (just my micro sim). I might try to borrow someone's at work tomorrow just to give it a shot.

Anyway, is there any known issue like this out there? If it is a hardware issue, how much would it cost to fix? The phone is perfectly fine otherwise and is basically a 16GB iPod touch right now.

Thanks for any info:D:apple:
Try set the iPhone to 2G...
Settings>>General>>Network - turn Cellular Data and 3G off.

Is the iPhone 3Gs updated to the latest software? (latest - 4.3.3)
Sounds like a hardware-related problem.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Try set the iPhone to 2G...
Settings>>General>>Network - turn Cellular Data and 3G off.

Is the iPhone 3Gs updated to the latest software? (latest - 4.3.3)
Sounds like a hardware-related problem.

I turned that stuff off. And no, it's running 4.2.1.......

I also think it's a hardware issue.. I was just not sure if anyone had a similar issue and had it fixed/replaced and if so how much $$$ it usually runs.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
i think its $199 in the US for an out of warranty replacement.. I might be wrong though. For that they just swap it for a refurbed unit.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
uhmm ok so I just borrowed a guy from work's 3GS SIM card and swapped it in.

The phone works perfectly..........

I just called my iPhone from it.

My sister is dumb :p:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.