Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's latest edition of the iMac is finally shipping with the build-to-order 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 and 256GB Solid State Drive option installed. As with any new Apple product, benchmarks and speedtests are beginning to trickle out, and the conclusion is that this is the fastest Mac that has ever shipped.

Last month, Macworld benchmarked the highest standard configuration 27" iMac Core i5 3.1GHz with standard hard drive installed. It scored 227 on Speedmark 6.5, roughly 16 percent faster than the old model -- but still quite a bit slower than a Mac Pro 3.33GHz Xeon 6-core, which scored a 263 on the same test.

Now, after a month-long delay, Apple is finally shipping BTO 3.4GHz Core i7 iMacs with a 256GB SSD option. This top-of-the-line iMac, the 27" 3.4GHz Core i7 w/SSD has been declared the fastest Mac that Macworld has ever tested.

The video above was sent in by a reader. He filmed it on his 27" 3.4GHz Core i7, 16GB of RAM and the 256GB SSD option. He opens all the standard applications that come with the iMac simultaneously (though with Front Row and Dashboard deselected, because they're both full-screen apps) as a quick demo of the speed of his new SSD iMac.

Macworld's testing puts the 3.4GHz i7 w/SSD at 298 on the Speedmark 6.5 test, well clear of the Mac Pro 3.33GHz Xeon 6-core's comparatively pokey 263. It also beat the Mac Pro in file duplication, Zip file compress and uncompress, iTunes encoding, and iMovie and iPhoto importing tests.

It's important to note, however, that for massively parallel tasks like Handbrake encoding, Cinebench, Mathematica, and GeekBench benchmarks the Mac Pro still outperforms the iMac because it has more cores, especially with Hyper-Threading. But, for individual application tests like encoding an MP3, importing a movie to iMovie, or importing photos to iPhoto, the iMac beats all.

ultimateimac2011speedmark-241608.png

Of course, the brand new iMac might be faster than the current generation Mac Pro, but the Mac Pro hasn't been updated since last July. New Mac Pros are expected sometime soon, presumably with Thunderbolt support and a rumored narrower, rackmountable enclosure.

Article Link: 27-Inch iMac Core i7 With SSD Is Fastest Mac Ever

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Kind of makes me wish I was patient enough to wait for the SSD model rather than just getting a standard HDD. Hopefully there will be some bootable Thunderbolt drives soon that will achieve the same effect.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
its the fastest mac ever? by standard configuration or how do they judge that?
12-Core Mac Pro with SSD 16-32gb of memory?

:confused:

iRobz

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Looking forward to getting mine. My last Mac was a 24" 2.16ghz core2duo iMac so this beast sounds like it'll run just a little bit quicker ;)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I assume that the 27" 2.7 i5 with SSD would be about the same or slightly better than the 21.5" i5 SSD at about 256. The improvement over the 227 score for the HDD 27" 2.7 i5 might be worth it, but that $600 upcharge is quite steep (sorry but if you are going to go SSD, you might as well include the 1TB HDD along with it internally too).

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
its the fastest mac ever? by standard configuration or how do they judge that?
12-Core Mac Pro with SSD 16-32gb of memory?

:confused:

In all but the most heavily threaded applications, the determining factors are going to be CPU architecture, clock speed and disk transfer speed.

The CPU architecture is newer in the iMac plus it boasts a higher clock speed, so it follows it performs better in benchmarks, despite the Mac Pro boasting up to 3x the cores.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
OMGWTF. Why even waste the time writing an article that mirrors that of another publication when neither of you has tested the iMac SSD against a Mac Pro SSD?

It's like implying that the a current Air with 2GB RAM is better than my late 2008 MBP with 8GB RAM because the Air's puny SSD reacts faster than my MBP's 7200 RPM WD Black drive.

Internetting would be faster but real work? Probably not. If you're going to write articles like this atleast test machines with similar available options.

Jeez. . .

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
But isn't it always "the fastest Mac ever" with each new generation of models? Or is this news because it's an iMac beating out a Mac Pro (which hasn't been updated for almost a year)?

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
But isn't it always "the fastest Mac ever" with each new generation of models? Or is this news because it's an iMac beating out a Mac Pro (which hasn't been updated for almost a year)?

I'm pretty sure it's actually beating a 12-core Mac Pro, which is rather impressive. And it's the cost associated with each machine that matters as well.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I was thinking the same thing. Put the 6 core 3.33 with SSD and lets see who wins.

This. What are they trying to prove with these benchmarks when they are comparing apples to oranges? (no pun intended)

YoGramMamma

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
yep

and this is the very iMac I bought. Though slightly peeved that I placed my order about 2 minutes after they went on sale on May 3rd.. and i JUST came 2 days ago.... literally six weeks later. Its a screamer though. The thing boots and is ready to go insanely fast. The only thing is I wish there was a way i could prevent the internal 2TB drive from being unmounted. That, and there was some thunderbolt stuff I can use with it.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Thanks for confirming this. I think anyone who owns any kind of older Mac desktop has to dump their old machines and upgrade to one of these beauties immediately. iMac performance today is just mindblowing. I don't know how Apple does it but there technologies really are so far ahead of the competition. I hope a lot of people take advantage of this and buy into the fastest computer money can buy.

kskill

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
new york, ny
Just bought a 21.5" 2.8GHz i7 with SSD and 2TB HDD. I wonder how this ranks compared to the 27" 3.4GHz i7 w/ SSD?

For some reason, no one seems to be testing it the BTO i7 21.5"...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
and this is the very iMac I bought. Though slightly peeved that I placed my order about 2 minutes after they went on sale on May 3rd.. and i JUST came 2 days ago.... literally six weeks later. Its a screamer though. The thing boots and is ready to go insanely fast. The only thing is I wish there was a way i could prevent the internal 2TB drive from being unmounted. That, and there was some thunderbolt stuff I can use with it.

Why is the internal HDD unmounting?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I was thinking the same thing. Put the 6 core 3.33 with SSD and lets see who wins.

iMac would still win on non-parallel tasks. It has a newer generation CPU +chipset with higher clockspeed. Not to mention Mac Pro's lack of SATA III. So iMac will provide much faster SSD results as long as the SSD used is appropriate, which in this case is an Apple SSD so it isn't though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.