Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wow, glad I didn't wait and got my MBP last summer.

Maybe this is a one-time thing--Apple just wants to push the Mac App store, and next year they'll revert to iPods again.

Maybe.

Chiuy

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

It's cause They kept us waiting for so long and now they come out with this cheap thing. I would of bought a MacBook pro over a month ago.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Smart move on apples part. It pushes the Mac App Store and they get a 30% cut from software sales. Days of free iPod might just be gone. :(

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I think it's great that Apple are giving $100 itunes voucher for free...

Are they still offering the printer promotion alongside this like they did last year? (at least in the UK).

I just hope they don't give UK students £50 as that's the next voucher down from £100...

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Well, not from Devs, who are going to be thrilled about this.

This is essentially ~50 bucks going from Apple to developers (-30% cut, and assuming about $20 spent on Apple SW).

Good point!

Honestly, I would have preferred this when I bought my mac for school 4 years ago. Seeing that I spent quite a bit on software to get prepared for class.

STOCK411

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2007
and really? people need to stop feeling like they are entitled to getting a Ipod touch with it. yes it would be nice, but its not the end of the world

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Need free iPod not free Angry Birds x 100.

Don't forget - Angry Birds is $4.99 on the Mac App Store, so you'll only get 20 copies of Angry Birds at that rate. I suppose you could go for the iPhone version of the game, but sometimes I think even one copy of Angry Birds is one too many.

I suppose because only 7 per cent of the developers at WWDC said they intended to code for the Mac, Apple feels like it really has to push the Mac App Store. Sorry...my girlfriend loves her 8GB iPod Touch. If she didn't have that, she couldn't spend money in the App Store. Most people seem to want apps for their iDevice, not their Mac. She's never once used the Mac App Store.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
It's only useable in the Mac App Store? Fail.

Any college student in that needs spreadsheets needs Excel, not Numbers. Keynote and Pages will do fine though.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I think it's great that Apple are giving $100 itunes voucher for free...

Are they still offering the printer promotion alongside this like they did last year? (at least in the UK).

I just hope they don't give UK students £50 as that's the next voucher down from £100...

Good God I hope not! And I do hope they release the less-popular printer rebate, too.

But I wonder, did the Japanese BTS actually include iPods this year, or was that a giftcard too? If its the former I wonder why that is... I mean its probably based on the popularity of the iPod in the US and Japan markets but still...

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
$100 gift card in which Apple gets a 30% cut on apps so Apple is only giving out $70 instead of $200. A bit too steep of a cut for those students...

I guess iTunes would be different though.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Good God I hope not! And I do hope they release the less-popular printer rebate, too.

But I wonder, did the Japanese BTS actually include iPods this year, or was that a giftcard too? If its the former I wonder why that is... I mean its probably based on the popularity of the iPod in the US and Japan markets but still...

Just found that the US still get the printer promo: http://www.apple.com/promo/

No promotions are currently running in the UK. Interesting to see what they will offer us (if anything)

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Lame. They take a 30% cut off the App store stuff anyways (not sure about itunes).

So it seems this promotion costs Apple about the same amount of money vs. the old iPod touch promo....and despite Apple now being able to sell more iPods at retail...the perceived value to customers is WAY LESS! That equals ineffective promotion (at least for a year or two until customers forget and are excited about the iTunes cash...especially those that just sold the 8GB iPod Touch.):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.