Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Because they are so thin, do they last a long time? Does anyone have one of the original MBAs still? I am just curious.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Like most laptops, they last until you drop them, spill liquid on them or sit on them. :eek:

There have been many threads on this, I suggest searching the forums.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Because they are so thin, do they last a long time? Does anyone have one of the original MBAs still? I am just curious.

They are so thin because of their interior hardware and design. None of that affects how long the computer will last. Usually some other events make computers stop working :rolleyes:

Reactions: BrodieApple

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
They last me long enough that I can sell them at a decent price. Thats usually 1.5 to 2 yrs. So far my MBA is running like a champ.

halledise

macrumors 68000
2 answers really:

Rev A was introduced in January 2008 - thus almost 3.5 years and counting.

until you get the sheets with it and decide to update - so, anywhere from 1 - 3 years :D

my friend's RevA was chugging along just fine, until last week when she sat on it :eek: - mind you she does have a rather large arse, so I'd say that was a factor

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Your experience can vary. Some rev As are still running fine, my Rev B decided to die when it was a little over 2 years old I have AppleCare so it will get fixed though. So basically it's possible that it could die early but most will last a long time.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Like most laptops, they last until you drop them, spill liquid on them or sit on them. :eek:

There have been many threads on this, I suggest searching the forums.

I did all those things with my previous (plastic) MacBook and it was fine for several years.

karl184

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
California
Macbook Airs have pixie dusts inside and will stop working once it runs out. Seriously, my Macbook 2nd gen I bought last 2008 is still in tip-top shape.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
My opinion (as a non-owner) is the Air is probably more drop friendly than it's larger cousins just due to it's weight, but is less resistant to bending due to how thin it is. However, barring any major accidents, due to the SSD, light weight, and aluminum frame I think the MBA is a very durable machine. As soon as Apple can get rid of fans entirely from the design it will be one of the longest lasting machines since it will have no moving parts other than the keyboard, hinge and trackpad button.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver

I've been using MBAs since the original reva in 2008. I travel almost every week and they are my all day everyday machines. I had a revA, upgraded to a revC and then to. RevD. Both of my originals are still running fine for the folks I sold them to who also use them everyday. I upgraded each time for speed or capacity benefits, not for anything wrong with the machines. Such has been the case for all my macs over the years.

So I'd say they are on par with any other aluminum Macs or premium PCs. With AppleCare they are easily good for three years. After that if something goes wrong, you have to look at the repair cost to decide on replace or repair. The only issue I've ever had has been batteries wearing out but there is always a chance of something more serious.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I have a G3 iBook that I purchased in 2003 which is still running just fine when plugged in (battery is a bit weak, keys are getting yellow). A friend is using a MacBook that I got over 5 years ago.

For an Apple product a bit older, my Mac 512Ke from circa 1985 still booted up a couple years back, but the clock battery was long dead, and some of the diskettes appeared to be going bad as well. So haven't taken it out of storage since.

So I don't expect my MBA 11 to die anytime soon, but ya never know... (knock on wood).

Smurfed

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
They'll last until the battery craps out.

Every notebook battery decreases in health the longer you use it. And since the new MBA's have a battery you can't replace yourself, that's when you have to hand it over to apple.

Really wished there was some way to have removable batteries on these things, but that'd prolly take away from the form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.