Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
I use Reeder for my iPhone and iPad, such a great UI. Now that Reeder is out for the Mac, I'd like it - but hesitate.

A desktop RSS app should definitely be able to add feeds, organize them, etc. I've written the developers twice, just to ask if they will go in that direction. No answer on both emails. (boo, boo..!)

Still, they write great apps. Is anyone out there in the know? Has anyone figured out if they'll incorporate feed organization for the Mac app in the future?

thanks

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Reeder for Mac does have the ability to add and organise feeds.

That's odd. In the reviews of the app in the Mac App store I see people complaining that one cannot. Is it hard to figure out how? Have you added feeds yourself? Do they then sync back to your Google RSS account?

Organisation, is that through simple drag and drop of feeds on the left column?

thanks for the help

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I was a beta user from the first public beta and I'm fairly certain it mirror's your Google Reader organization. I have mine in folders and alphabetized so I never noticed. I don't currently have the final release so I can't tell you.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
I was a beta user from the first public beta and I'm fairly certain it mirror's your Google Reader organization. I have mine in folders and alphabetized so I never noticed. I don't currently have the final release so I can't tell you.

What I meant is that, if you add a feed in Reeder - or reorganize things a bit in folders (moving things, creating folders, removing folders) - do these actions sync back to the Google RSS account?

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
It's pretty easy to see its there. In the menu is Subscriptions and under that dropdown is add and manage.

I've never used the feature before but just tried so I can answer your question. I added a feed, was able to move it into a folder, and everything I did in the app shows up in google reader.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
It's pretty easy to see its there. In the menu is Subscriptions and under that dropdown is add and manage.

I've never used the feature before but just tried so I can answer your question. I added a feed, was able to move it into a folder, and everything I did in the app shows up in google reader.

Thanks, that seals it for me! I'll buy it now.

Two curious things - I wonder why the folks that make Reeder wouldn't answer that question? ..and why did folks in the reviews report that it didn't do so?

Have a good weekend!

Jacques

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

Oh right. That was added in the final beta.

Two curious things - I wonder why the folks that make Reeder wouldn't answer that question? ..and why did folks in the reviews report that it didn't do so?
The one thing about the dev is that he sometimes over simplifies things. I'm guessing the mistaken reviewers just didn't see the option as it's fairly easy to overlook. Also, I never had a problem with him responding to me. I did ask questions on Twitter though (@reederapp).

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's odd. In the reviews of the app in the Mac App store I see people complaining that one cannot. Is it hard to figure out how? Have you added feeds yourself? Do they then sync back to your Google RSS account?

Organisation, is that through simple drag and drop of feeds on the left column?

thanks for the help

I thought so too, but you can. It's just not very intuitive. You have to click on the options icon and choose manage subscriptions. It then will allow you to drag feeds around, and into other folders. It's beyond me why the app doesn't let you do it in the main interface.:(

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-17 1.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-17 1.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 450
  • Screen shot 2011-06-17 2.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-17 2.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 402

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Mr. Reader - organization king

Reeder is so sub-par in organization, it's just old.

Mr. Reader for iPad handles it SO much better, for anyone stumbling on this thread - I recommend Mr. Reader *wholeheartedly* over every other RSS reader for iPad.

Organization is just the beginning, and the developer responds to emails immediately... =)

PS - Reeder is incredible for the iPhone, (no organizational skills tho) and for the Mac, still love the app in those areas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.