Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
It seems a little slower than my test results.
I reboot my WiFi AP from time to time, maybe this will help somehow. :)

Ok.. I just tested the transfer speed:

I tried to transfer (from ipad to pc) a 1.4gb avi file and according to firefox, the speed went as high as 580kBps and as low as 100kBps, estimating from as little as 40minutes to as long as 2.5hours.

On my wifi network, i can transfer Files between laptops at least 10mBps.

So far, same speed as what im seeing with apps such as xbmc, file browser, FTPOnTheGo etc...

Though not fast enough for my purpose, i believe it would still come handy for occasions to download a video file while using 3G or WIFI on the road or away from an iTune PC.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
SMB/CIFS will have higher priority, since lots of legacy devices such NAS has already supported SMB/CIFS.
The SMB/CIFS support is not mainly for the new created file sharing, it is for lots of legacy file sharing devices, especially NAS.

Supporting legacy file-sharing devices/NAS is fair enough.. But hopefully you also have WebDAV support on your "feature roadmap", as that's what you're going to see more and more people using, with Apple pushing in that direction.

ragnakore

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
Will GoodPlayer be able to "resume" a file transfer? In my experience, its a necessity. Sometimes we have to cut short the transferring and need to resume it at a latter time..

Also, i'd like to ask for a feature to increase the volume beyond 100% just like VLC for PC. Some of the videos i downloaded plays fine on PC but somehow, audio is low when played via VLC ipad necessitating the use of earphones

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Okay, WebDAV support is added to the GoodPlayer todo list, we will check it in the future.

Supporting legacy file-sharing devices/NAS is fair enough.. But hopefully you also have WebDAV support on your "feature roadmap", as that's what you're going to see more and more people using, with Apple pushing in that direction.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
For the resume, we could not give more control on the HTTP uploading now.
Please give the next 2.3 version FTP uploading a try when it comes out. Note: UTF-8 char set in FTP client is needed for uploading files to iOS for non-ASCII file name.

As for " volume beyond 100%", just added it to our todo list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Will GoodPlayer be able to "resume" a file transfer? In my experience, its a necessity. Sometimes we have to cut short the transferring and need to resume it at a latter time..

Also, i'd like to ask for a feature to increase the volume beyond 100% just like VLC for PC. Some of the videos i downloaded plays fine on PC but somehow, audio is low when played via VLC ipad necessitating the use of earphones

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
About the apple tv AirPlay support, GoodPlayer does not support AirPlay now.
In the future release, GoodPlayer will support the AirPlay in iPod
plugin mode, since the official API limitation, only iPod/Quicktime
plugin can support AirPlay.

does it support apple tv?

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
About the apple tv AirPlay support, GoodPlayer does not support AirPlay now.
In the future release, GoodPlayer will support the AirPlay in iPod
plugin mode, since the official API limitation, only iPod/Quicktime
plugin can support AirPlay.

But surely you can support AirPlay for "native" MP4/H.264 video playback? Is that what you mean by "iPod plugin mode" ?

Last edited:

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer native playback could not support AirPlay. Native playback only uses software decoding.

For iPod plugin, please check the GoodPlayer settings, it uses the system hardware-accelerated playback to play mp4,m4v... limited kinds of files.
Sometimes iPod plugin is named Quicktime plugin.

But surely you can support AirPlay for "native" MP4/H.264 video playback? Is that what you mean by " iPod plugin mode" ?

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
GoodPlayer native playback could not support AirPlay. Native playback only uses software decoding.

For iPod plugin, please check the GoodPlayer settings, it uses the system hardware-accelerated playback to play mp4,m4v... limited kinds of files.
Sometimes iPod plugin is named Quicktime plugin.

I wonder if AirPlay for non-native videos can be done with IOS 5 AirPlay Mirroring feature.

Ko

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Gestures

Lots of progress in the app, nice to see the constant updates!

One feature request: being able to tap anywhere on the screen to pause video, than another tap to play it. hunting down the small pause button is hard sometimes!

The gestures are nice, but customizable ones would be even better, something like atomic web browser has: http://atomicwebbrowser.com/

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
As for the “ tap anywhere on the screen to pause video”, it seems to be a little confusing. Maybe a bigger pause/play button will be better?

And for customizable gestures, we added it to our todo list according to the suggestions. We will give it a try in the future.

Lots of progress in the app, nice to see the constant updates!

One feature request: being able to tap anywhere on the screen to pause video, than another tap to play it. hunting down the small pause button is hard sometimes!

The gestures are nice, but customizable ones would be even better, something like atomic web browser has: http://atomicwebbrowser.com/

Corsair.Noir

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
My Ship
I just got Goodplayer and I love the wifi upload (anything that can save me from itunes). I also love the option to choose subtitles (something I couldn't do with vlc)! So far it plays most vids great but I am having some troubles playing a couple 720 avi files though (maybe that's an ipad 1 hardware limitation?) The video is 1280x720, 128kbps bit rate, 23fps, 1076kbps data rate, and 1204kbps total bitrate. Other than converting, is there anything I can do to improve 720 playback?

One of the major deciding factors to buy this app was the great developer support I'm seeing here on the forum. The constant quality updates definitely reassured me that this would be money well invested. Good job to the development team. Keep it up :)

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks for the support.
For iPad 1, the MPEG-4/avi 720P is the limitation, so if your avi is MPEG-4 video, maybe it can be played back by GoodPlayer.
However if your avi is in H.264 video, GoodPlayer could not play it back on iPad 1. You can use mediainfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net) to check video details.
Please note: For iPad 1, the MPEG-4/avi 720P is the limitation, maybe some files could be played back smoothly, some not.
We are always trying to improve the performace

I just got Goodplayer and I love the wifi upload (anything that can save me from itunes). I also love the option to choose subtitles (something I couldn't do with vlc)! So far it plays most vids great but I am having some troubles playing a couple 720 avi files though (maybe that's an ipad 1 hardware limitation?) The video is 1280x720, 128kbps bit rate, 23fps, 1076kbps data rate, and 1204kbps total bitrate. Other than converting, is there anything I can do to improve 720 playback?

One of the major deciding factors to buy this app was the great developer support I'm seeing here on the forum. The constant quality updates definitely reassured me that this would be money well invested. Good job to the development team. Keep it up :)

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer 2.3 released ftp server, itunes backup blocker and audio channel selection http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodplayer/id416756729?mt=8

What's New in Version 2.3

1. Add FTP server for WiFi file sharing,along with the older HTTP
server file sharing
The FTP file transfer make it much easy for transfer lots of files/folders.
Please note: for non-ASCII file/folder name, the FTP client should be
set to UTF-8 character for file name encoding. For example, the
FileZilla(a free FTP client http://filezilla-project.org),
"FileZilla"-->"File"-->"Site Manager"-->"New Site", input correct
setting here-->"Charset"--> Check "Force UTF-8" here-->"Connect"
2. Add the option to disable iTunes Sync file backup, this can save a
lot of time and disk space when the iOS device sync with the iTunes.
Please Note: for the first time the iTunes Sync is turned off, the
most safe testing way is to exit the desktop iTunes , and restart the
desktop iTunes , then sync the iOS device with iTunes. It was found
sometimes the iTunes Sync setting does not work immediately, maybe it
has something to do with the cache.
3. Audio channels choice added. Left channel only, right channel only
, or stereo can be chosen.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Something about iOS 5 iCloud and GoodPlayer:

For older GoodPlayer version (2.2 and older) , the movies will be
backed up to iCloud&iTunes local backup. A French user kindly tested
it. Of course his movies is not over 5GB limitation.

For the 2.3 version and later (2.3 GoodPlayer just released to App
Store today), there is a blocker for iTunes Sync file backup feature
added. With this feature , the GoodPlayer movie files can be kept away
form iTunes local backup. And it should be kept away from iOS 5 iCloud
(still waiting for the French user's feedback on this)

ragnakore

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
As for the “ tap anywhere on the screen to pause video”, it seems to be a little confusing. Maybe a bigger pause/play button will be better?

And for customizable gestures, we added it to our todo list according to the suggestions. We will give it a try in the future.

I agree to have a much easier way to pause.

Right now, when we tap on the screen, it brings out the play button controls. And then hitting that small pause button is difficult...

How about a single point tap to pause and a "2 point" tap on the screen to bring out the play control.
"2 point" tap is using two fingers to tap on the screen.

However the method, we need much simpler and easier method to pause.
Pause is more used.

ragnakore

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
When you add thumbnail features, add the ability for user to resize the thumbnails within the "settings"..

VLC displays 3 thumbnails horizontally (in landscape mode) and i find this too big / too few. Some might like 3, i like 4 or even 5...

By resize i do not mean file resize, but just how it is displayed on the screen.
Ie, a PNG/JPG file of 800x600 can be displayed 320x240 or 200x150 or 120x100 or however the user likes it... A slide scale would be great for this..

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
The single point tap and "2 point" tap seems a great idea, we will try it.

I agree to have a much easier way to pause.

Right now, when we tap on the screen, it brings out the play button controls. And then hitting that small pause button is difficult...

How about a single point tap to pause and a "2 point" tap on the screen to bring out the play control.
"2 point" tap is using two fingers to tap on the screen.

However the method, we need much simpler and easier method to pause.
Pause is more used.

ragnakore

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
The single point tap and "2 point" tap seems a great idea, we will try it.

BTW. The single finger swipe horizontally and vertically seems too easy to do we'd accidentally swipe it changing the audio channel or subtitle unintentionally.

Why not use 2 or even 3 finger swipe (just like how iTAP VNC) to do some of these functions..

Secondly, when changing subtitles or audio channels, I'd like to see a visual confirmation that it was indeed changed like perhaps, displaying on the screen it is now showing "Subtitle#3 Selected" or "Audio Channel #4 Selected". Its easier this way than waiting for a scene with dialogues to confirm we are on the right settings.

Lastly, a help menu, or tutorial on these swipe commands built into the app (like iTAP VNC). these may be icings on the cake, but it does add up nicely to the overall user experience.

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
I just purchased GoodPlayer, however, there are issues with playback speed on 720p mkv file I tried.

It is 1280x720 Mkv H264 file at 30fps.

Scenes with low motion is fine, but high motion scenes lag significantly. This is on an ipad2.

Could you have a look at improving performance as I've now looking at AVPlayerHD which others have claimed plays 720P mkv files perfectly.

ragnakore

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
I just purchased GoodPlayer, however, there are issues with playback speed on 720p mkv file I tried.

Scenes with low motion is fine, but high motion scenes lag significantly. This is on an ipad2.

Could you have a look at improving performance as I've now looking at AVPlayerHD which others have claimed plays 720P mkv files perfectly.

Goto Settings (upper right) and turn on the iPod Plugin..
Then watch your HD video...

Once you've watched just one HD video with GoodPlayer, you'd want a refund on all the other video apps you've purchased before...

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
The iPod plugin playback is only for limited file formats such as mp4,m4v and mov etc...
We have some performance issue with the native HD mkv playback, we are trying to improve it.

Goto Settings (upper right) and turn on the iPod Plugin..
Then watch your HD video...

Once you've watched just one HD video with GoodPlayer, you'd want a refund on all the other video apps you've purchased before...

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
So far, since 720P mkv/H.264 is the limitation for iPad 2 playback, it seems that some 720P mkv are smooth ,and some are not smooth. We are trying to improve the performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.