Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Whuddya think? Would it be fun to have a thread dedicated to pictures of some of the most horrid-looking PC designs out there?

I got the idea from one of those Google ads at the top of the page that was advertising a "PC Cube". Anticipating some sort of horrible rip-off of the Apple Cube design, I clicked on the link. I was not disappointed:

sb61.jpg

All I can say about this is.....BWAH-ha-ha-ha-ha! :p

For the morbidly curious, it's from here.

So...y'all seen any bad PC designs you wanna share?

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Thomas Veil said:
Whuddya think?
Looks like a cross between the Shuttle SB and SN XPC range... one of the more reasonable - scratch - probably the best small-form factor designers of the PC world. It may even be a Shuttle, I've not looked through their catalogue for about a year.

Believe me Mr. Veil, there are much worse than this!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I agree... this is one of the best SFF PC cases I've seen. I'd rather have that case than the large tower I have now. It'd fit in better with the rest of the Apple stuff I have.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's not bad, especially with ports out front. I'm tired of fishing around the back of my machine to connect something. ;)

It could have been a really bad case like these guys sell: http://www.cheapguys.com/

Those are just scary. :eek:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Must be a matter of taste, I guess. When I hear "Cube", I of course think of something a little more subtle, like this:

104.jpg

And if that's someone's idea of a PC version...I dunno, I'm just not impressed.

brap said:
Well, as someone once said...bring 'em on! :D

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
IMO

Thomas Veil said:

I don't like those circles on those drive drawers, looks tacky. They could have made the drive drawers blend in better with the case, that would have made it look for slick rather just just put there.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My brother has one of those. The panels aren't drive drawers, you actually remove the panel and put a drive there instead.

Applespider

macrumors G4
bousozoku said:
It's not bad, especially with ports out front. I'm tired of fishing around the back of my machine to connect something.

That's the front?!?! I hate to think how ugly the back looks! The ports being easily accessible is good though. I was just thinking today how annoying it must be to attach the Shuffle to a Mac mini since you'd really need a USB hub to avoid having to move it. The big iPods are less of a problem since having a firewire cable attached and tucked round the edge is less of a hassle

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
lcd3.gif

I honestly do understand the point of this thread, and looks and style did play a big part in my iBook decision, but I dunno. As far as PCs go, this one is actually pretty innovative and good looking. And it even has FW. Oooh la la! :p If it actually uses the wireless KB and mouse as shown, and the factory installed RF option for them (awww, no BT?) doesn't involve some kind of transceiver on a cord that has to sit on the desktop, but is integrated into the CPU unit, then I would put it pretty high up on the list of good looking PCs by any manufacturer (although natch not in Apple or Sony territory). Of course the LCD resolution would have to be more than 1024x768 too... Well, anyway, the *looks* aren't bad if its used wirelessly.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
redeye_be said:
(image removed to save bandwidth)

I saw this one in a shop a few days ago. I just had to look up the picture when i saw your tread.
They were on sale :D

nice try.

EDIT: this is where i got the picture from http://www.ecsusa.com/products/lcd_pc.html
This is an odd design, to say the least. What I like most about it is that it's innovative. What I like least is that the monitor angle can't be adjusted.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
dejo said:
It can! Using that adjustable foot at the very back. Probably gives you a good 3-4 degrees of freedom. ;)
I didn't even notice the foot. Well, that's better than no adjustment at all, but it still doesn't come close to what the iMac G5 offers for adjustment options. The iMac G4 is even more flexible.

VincentVega

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
UK
brap said:
Looks like a cross between the Shuttle SB and SN XPC range... one of the more reasonable - scratch - probably the best small-form factor designers of the PC world. It may even be a Shuttle, I've not looked through their catalogue for about a year.

That *is* a Shuttle, the SB61G.

http://global.shuttle.com/Product/barebone/brb_OverView.asp?B_id=33

I actually like the look of the Shuttle XPCs. There's far worse out there.

I present, for your delectation (pass the sick bag please):

nemesis_w.jpg
guardian_y.jpg

ATXA8NW-7.GIF
v6000a.jpg

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
jared_kipe said:
Aww I was going to put those up. The yellow one comes in green, lol, who the hell wants that on their desk.

I think you meant to say, "Who the hell doesn't want a computer that can transform into a killer robot and kill the decepticons?"

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
jtgotsjets said:
I think you meant to say, "Who the hell doesn't want a computer that can transform into a killer robot and kill the decepticons?"

Or better yet, maybe it could go around the world destroying all the HelmetPCs...

h_Bengals_3q.jpg

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Don't have a pic, but definatly the DISNEY PCs!!!

They are so funny!!! Its like a 15" CRT with disney ears and a crappy system, overpriced

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
jtgotsjets said:

You'd think that that was what it was, but you'd be wrong... It's true design is to transform the pretty windows xp desktop into a blue and white screen.
"Muah ha ha, I say you do not have enough free memory to run this application.. Press any key.. if you dare."

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
dotdotdot said:
Don't have a pic, but definatly the DISNEY PCs!!!

They are so funny!!! Its like a 15" CRT with disney ears and a crappy system, overpriced

But did you see that pen?!? Holy cow, its like a time capsule, taking you back to the days when Disney actually a pioneer in the animation market... either that or pioneered the tablet PCs in the 80's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.