Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone4customer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
No pics to upload yet but I will take a few. I opted for the black/black (initially ordered white/black but came to my senses as my toddler with a crayon would "enhance" that white case pretty quickly).

Pros:
- Finish is brilliant, just really well put together. all the pieces fit together well.
- Easy to install, took me less than 2 minutes with my daughter impatiently waiting to get to Elmo on the ipad asap.
- I threw this thing out the second story window and the ipad survived without a scratch - ok I'm totally kidding about that part, but if this thing were ever accidentally dropped I think it's got the best shot of survival.
- Everything is covered like it should be. the grill on the speaker let the sound escape just fine for our tastes.
- Screen protector is fantastic. I was nervous about the touch sensitivity on the thing with the protector on--no change to touch whatsoever. I even left on my adhesive protector in case I didn't like the case and I get the same response with both layers.

Cons
- Adds some weight to the ipad but not a whole lot more than the Targus Veravu case we've been using since we got the thing.
- I miss having the stand ability of the targus with this thing. I wonder if there is a cheap stand alternative that will fit the case's width
- Glare on the screen - not a big deal but it's pretty reflective
- No cover for the screen - otterbox/seidio have the edge on this one, but on the other hand i could have seen myself ditching the cover pretty often. for trips I will definitely look for a simple sleeve that can fit the ipad with the gumdrop installed. if anybody has suggestions please let me know!

I can take a couple shots and if you guys have specific requests to see a port or something let me know via reply to the thread.

Geordie bry

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Just received my military edition today. Fantastic case. Only fault ,I'm a keen photographer. Camera connection kit would not fit without removing case. But after 5 mins with a dremmel it works a treat now and you cannot tell I've modded the case.

Geordie bry

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
The case is a perfect fit and the screen protector which clips into the case before fitting is fantastic. Just noticed you can also get a spare screen protector. If original gets marked over time.

ac604

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
I have heard conflicting reports of whether you can use drop case without the screen protector installed. Whats your experience?

Also on the topic of a sleeve suggestion has anyone found any armored/stiff sleeve that would fit the ipad2 with or without a case?

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
....make me go looking for pics.....

yhst-45171797067580_2160_4487986

http://www.gumdropcases.com/drop-series-ipad-2-case.html

iphone4customer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
these are two photos I took to show the extreme conditions that our iPad is working in. I'll take more close-up shots later today.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    512.9 KB · Views: 274
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    592.4 KB · Views: 194

iphone4customer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Yea, looking forward to those pictures, I'm holding off ordering.

How much do you think it weighs with the ipad inside?

I'm gonna say that the case adds 50% more weight to the ipad but I could be wrong. It's got a bit of a heavy feel to it when combined with the ipad but my toddler can still hold her own with the thing. Overall, however, the protection just beats out any addition of weight to the thing in my book. the screen protector is just great in addition to the overall protection. not sure if you can use the case without the screen protector but i'd guess you probably could.

gmaines

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Well I just bought one after hearing all the info on them, bought the black on black... should not add that much weight... I have a few other cases...
ordered a Grove case, which will ship July 8th, have a switcheasy case which I love and for meetings and just because I liked it I got the Vaja Libretto Case, which is a work of art... They are all great cases.. depends if I am traveling or just back and forth to the office... Should get the gumdrop case this week. will let you know how I like it.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Well I just bought one after hearing all the info on them, bought the black on black... should not add that much weight... I have a few other cases...
ordered a Grove case, which will ship July 8th, have a switcheasy case which I love and for meetings and just because I liked it I got the Vaja Libretto Case, which is a work of art... They are all great cases.. depends if I am traveling or just back and forth to the office... Should get the gumdrop case this week. will let you know how I like it.
Can you post some more photos when you do please!

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Very good case, I posted my video review of the white on black on my YouTube channel if any of you are interested.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Piece of Junk Riddled with fissures and gapping holes!

I received mine today.

To my dismay there were stress fractures or fissures that run all along the sides of the case. As you can see from the pictures I have attached there are two gaping holes that go completely through the case.

I am not at all sure why this kind of thing would happen but it makes me feel like this is not the case that was represented.

The quality is probably the worst I have ever seen in any mass produced plastic case. This does not speak very highly of Gumdrop's quality control. Looks more like a product rushed to market made in some cheap chinese factory where quality is completely disregarded.

Additionally the inside of the case has no protective qualities what so ever, you place the aluminum skin of the ipad in a naked plastic case that has no cushioning, no form of micro fiber protection to ensure that it will not scratch once in the case.

I also found the rubber silicon that wraps around this defective plastic shell way too loose and it easily comes apart from the main casing.

And here I was under the impression this was a snug fit! No such luck! Just holding it in my hand in any position I see the rubber separating from the plastic shell. Very Poor. And it doe s add considerable weight to the overall ipad experience, which is another thing this company fails to mention on their web site, oh by the way, your ipad is going to weigh 75% more than it did before you put this case on!

I may very well just take a complete refund and go back to the Otter. Unless Gumdrop assures me a replacement will not have these same kind of defects.

After waiting some time for this and with great expectation of receiving a quality product, I received a completely defective and poorly manufactured case.

I'm not at all sure I believe in the standards this company pontificates about on their web site any longer. What I do see is shoddy work men ship and an ill fitting silicon wrap, neither of which the =Otter has and I am beginning to think is probably way better constructed case in the long run, than this poorly crafted piece of junk.

right side.jpg

left side.jpg

Geordie bry

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
The gaping holes you describe which are on the case edge are meant to be there to aid in separating front from back.

Geordie bry

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
and the fissures running along the edge are supposed to be there to right?

Can't tell off the photos. I know one thing though. The holes you describe as gaping are exactly the same on my case and there tiny.My case is spot on you may just have a rogue case return it for a replacement or refund.

Last edited:

PhatboyNYC

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
Additionally the inside of the case has no protective qualities what so ever, you place the aluminum skin of the ipad in a naked plastic case that has no cushioning, no form of micro fiber protection to ensure that it will not scratch once in the case.

That was my only concern about the Gumdrop case, which I ordered and am awaiting receipt of. Has anyone applied a protective film for the back before installing the Gumdrop case? Any issues with fitment?

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Screen Protector

DropTech Series. Has anyone found out if you have to use the screen protector? Also, would appreciate the size and if it fits NEW iPad. Amazon varies with each page and cannot get a reply from Gumdrop. Thanks.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
DropTech Series. Has anyone found out if you have to use the screen protector? Also, would appreciate the size and if it fits NEW iPad. Amazon varies with each page and cannot get a reply from Gumdrop. Thanks.

The original one had two plastic pieces to sandwich together then add the silicone. It was update late last year with one plastic piece. The older one shows the plastic triangles on the back.

The updated one fits the new iPad. If one does not wish to use the screen protector it is removable. I've also read that one can remove the screen protector from its plastic frame and install it using no protector or using your own stick on protector. Without the frame installed it might look a little ugly. At least that's what I've read. I read up on them and almost bought one but missed the Staples sale for 40 bucks. Apparently they do that every few months.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Without a doubt this is my favorite case for my kids. I really have no worries with them using the iPad when it is in this case. I actually picked up 2 of the new ones online and while it no longer includes the back plate it is still very secure and protected. I'll be posting an updated review (video and photos) soon and will post pics, etc.. here

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
What is the difference between the drop tech and the military? Besides 10 bucks.:D

I don't think there is a difference. I have a Pink one and the Military edition and aside from color they seem identical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.