Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
OK I think imovie 11 sucks. our old computer crashed and we got a new imac a month ago that had imovie 11 on it and so i lost the imovie HD 6 that was on my old computer. I still have whatever disks that came with our old imac. IS there any way to get back imovie 6? also is there is, is there any way to have imovie 6 and imovie 11 on your computer? please help as I can't stand imovie 11!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL319

Edit: That's an update, not the app. Sorry - there was a way to download it once upon a time, but it appears it is no longer available.

Try getting used to iMovie 11, might take a while, but it'll be worth it, as it is more powerful with a lot more effects and transitions.

YouTube iMovie 11 stuff.

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL319

Edit: That's an update, not the app. Sorry - there was a way to download it once upon a time, but it appears it is no longer available.

Try getting used to iMovie 11, might take a while, but it'll be worth it, as it is more powerful with a lot more effects and transitions.

YouTube iMovie 11 stuff.

yes i do like that about imovie 11 but i hate how it cuts out the top and bottom and sides of my movie when i put it on dvd and what mostly use it for are fun lip sync music videos like this video that i did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf4mu9m-XIw. i actually made this one on imovie but it is so much harder because the music can't be longer than the clips run so you have to make a ton of fake background then fill in and sink up the real footage. it is very frustrating and takes a while! I want my imovie 6 back! by the way I wanna hear some of your bands songs :)

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
yes i do like that about imovie 11 but i hate how it cuts out the top and bottom and sides of my movie when i put it on dvd

Select the video, click the "crop, rotate, and Ken Burns" button, then select whether you wish to crop, fit, or zoom your video. Make sure to select "allow black" if necessary.

This lets you letterbox or pillarbox any dimensions into 16:9 or 4:3, so you'll never miss anything near the edges. You can adjust this under preferences, or initially when you create a project, otherwise you'll need to do it for each and every clip (which is a good thing because sometimes you might want to crop out enemies or whatever).

disenchanted

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
OK I think imovie 11 sucks. our old computer crashed and we got a new imac a month ago that had imovie 11 on it and so i lost the imovie HD 6 that was on my old computer. I still have whatever disks that came with our old imac. IS there any way to get back imovie 6? also is there is, is there any way to have imovie 6 and imovie 11 on your computer? please help as I can't stand imovie 11!

I totally agree. I loved iMovie HD and i had to replace my macbook pro and now i can't use it anymore with Lion. I hate iMovie 11 and wish apple would bring back the old version.

myke

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2005
Media Edit 3

Hi, I share your views about iMovie 11. It does have some useful features like image stabilization and - thank goodness - they have brought the timeline back.

The main problem though, is that they have overdesigned the automation. So long as you go with the flow, and do things Apple's way that's OK. But Apple's way quickly exposes the limitations of the program. The handling of sound is a clear example. It is far too complicated and inflexible. Synching sound for cutaways in iMovie HD was very simple - it is very hard in iMovie 11. It's not that you can't do it, just that it requires many more steps.

For my money the best consumer Mac movie program by far - though it is sorely in need of further development work - is Media Edit 3. It does the movie editing basics and has a wonderful, multi-layered, multi-media timeline that is highly intuitive. And cutaways are really, really, easy. Adding titles is far simpler than in any of the iMovie versions.

At present I use iMovie 11 to stablise my clips and produce a rough timeline edit, export them in high quality and finish the job in Media Edit. I always mix the sound in ProTools though, for a more professional result.

I can reimport the sound from ProTools into MediaEdit and put it exactly where I want it, rather than where iMovie thinks it should go.

I wish there was a simple and intuitive programme that did sound well but at the consumer level, there doesn't seem to be one - or none that satisfies me, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.