Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have a bronze Dell laptop, and it's pretty sweet. I dont know why Apple can't just do the same thing that Dell does.

And re:title, I like it. It's rather unbiased, which is rarity these days on this site. :(

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Shame Steve Jobs didn't notice that the stainless back for the iPod touch etc picks up scratches and looks like crap within 24 hours, too. :) Or how about that chrome bezel on the iPhone 3G/3GS etc?

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
I can't believe oily finger prints held them back. I had a black MacBook and it was a magnet for finger prints.

I still have a black MacBook (4,1). If I don't wipe it down every morning, I swear I won't be able to tell the difference between it and a cheeseburger (admittedly a very large and thin and square-ish cheese burger). ;)

In all seriousness though its all-around a sweet piece of hardware.

diogodasilva

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
there you go!

Attachments

• macbook-air-02-black.jpg
    macbook-air-02-black.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 873
  • macbook-air-02.jpg
    macbook-air-02.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 276

Ambrish

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2007
Apple did indeed test out a black powder-coated MacBook Air, but the treatment absorbed body oils and didn't live up to Steve's standards, according to an anonymous Apple employee.

This employee got in touch after we wrote about emails we'd received claiming that the next-generation MacBook Air would have a black option.

The email:The sender doesn't have an existing track record, but after chatting with him, we suspect his story checks out.

Could it be that new 'liquid metal' stuff...? Isn't that supposed to look something like dark aluminum?

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
I seem to remember Steve Jobs being excited about the original Titanium Powerbook G4 (TiBook) and how they could do some neat things with anodized colors.

But it never happened.
:mad:

cara0910

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
Yeah, because Apple wouldn't hire a talented engineer because their grammar wasn't perfect, get real!

Haha. It's true. This is more atrocious, though: "The RUMORS that the next iteration of the MBA's will have an optional black finish IS grounded in truth." The rumors is grounded in truth? I laughed to myself a bit when I read that.

Your point, however, stands. I don't think Apple cares about your grammar unless your job is writing something that could be seen by the public.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Sounds like the aluminum pitting that happened on the pre-unibody MacBook Pro's (which I believe were powder-coated) from your oils and sweat.

macbookpropitting.jpg

And those were the ones that got the go-ahead. Reports of the pitting problem have been going around for almost a decade now with various iterations of Powerbooks/Macbook Pros. And yet the issue persists.

The pitting is pretty darn ugly. So just image how bad the black ones must have looked for Apple to actually reject them...

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Thank you Steve for forcing Apple to come up with things we want to own and not bad products just to say look I made one.

Steve rocks, never change.:D

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Sounds like the aluminum pitting that happened on the pre-unibody MacBook Pro's (which I believe were powder-coated) from your oils and sweat.

macbookpropitting.jpg

Yeah I ended up with minor symptoms of that on my 12" PB and pre-unibody 15" MBP. But I have also seen it on the unibodies so it's not exactly a thing of the past, and I don't reckon it should have halted a black. Maybe they need to make it a darker black :D?

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I seem to remember Steve Jobs being excited about the original Titanium Powerbook G4 (TiBook) and how they could do some neat things with anodized colors.

But it never happened.
:mad:

Probably because they had enough trouble with the standard 'colour' melting/peeling off the body and that was enough to deal with.

blenditall

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
I just wish they would use a black bezel on the Air. That's really the only thing keeping me from buying one at this time. The other MacBooks have them, why not the air?

The aluminum bezel is actually consistent with the rest of the lineup because the Air screen is antiglare. Antiglare Pros have the same thing. As for the reasoning behind antiglare on the Air, it is probably to decrease weight.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
speaking of "soaking body oils", when are they going to replace those plastic keys with something that don't get all 'shiny' after a month's use? They look ugly as well. What about glass keys (ala touchpad) or something like that?

My thoughts exactly. My keys are permanently "shiny" and you can see exactly where I strike each key. But, overall, its trivial.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
They'll can this idea but insist on continuing using metal in the back of the iPod touch? That thing gets micro scratches the minute you look at it directly.

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
Whoa ... I never said I didn't like the new style, I was just pointing out that it's a bit different.
If you must know though, I like the variety! :) Keep up the great work.

And into reverse we go... Ha ha, awkward!!!

kostasw

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
If you establish a wireless, almost telepathic connection between the user and the laptop so that the user does not have to touch the laptop... then Steve should be happy.

Or Apple can patent a cleaning chemical to periodically impregnate the aluminium from the inside so that, as it comes to the surface, it reacts with the body fat and eliminates it.

I can see quite a few patents coming up...

peterdanckwerts

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
Anodizing and Power Coating are two completely different coatings... One is a chemical coating/plating and the other is a plastic coating that is sprayed on and melted.

They might be talking of a powder metallurgical coating, I suppose.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I just wish they would use a black bezel on the Air. That's really the only thing keeping me from buying one at this time. The other MacBooks have them, why not the air?

Because it looks cheap and tacky. I would not have bought one if they had soiled the bezel thus.

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Anyone remember the anodized iPod minis? They had many different colors (except black). The colors didn't wear on those. I'd think black would work.

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Because it looks cheap and tacky. I would not have bought one if they had soiled the bezel thus.
I agree. The MBA style aluminum bezel looks slicker. I got my 15" MBP with the anti-glare screen for the high res and the better looking aluminum bezel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.