Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Well they could still make a Black MacBook. But this time, they should keep the plastic glossy, just like on the white version, instead of making it matt like it used to be on the BlackBook. Glossy black plastic won't absorb anything more than white does.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Does anyone else think that this apple employee was told to come to the press by apple... to stop a false rumor, and for stopping people from having this expectation? Just like apple cleared up the confusion for hardware at WWDC, because they didn't want the press to come in with expectations of a new iPhone.

I feel like we might not notice it but apple counter leaks stuff too, just to keep us in check and not expecting something that isn't going to happen.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Lenovo doesn't make anything quality, with that said, here are the Reviews of the laptop your claiming, notice how 1 writer says exactly what made Steve axe the project...hmmmm ...and you say lenovo make quality?? how about less quality ;)

Didn't go through all the reviews, but I didn't find anything immediately about problems with the black colour, just lots of problems not related to colour.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
This is great news customers. Nobody wants to be confused by complicated color choices. I'm confident Apple will continue to make the best decisions for customers.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I dont know why everyone hates plastic, the black macbook was a great looking laptop. Personally id like a slightly cheaper black plastic macbook air

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
This is great news customers. Nobody wants to be confused by complicated color choices. I'm confident Apple will continue to make the best decisions for customers.

Companies have this tendency of deciding what to release on the market.

I know it sounds crazy.

"We can make the biggest curved panes of glass in the world, but we can't powder coat a laptop successfully"

Cool.

You wouldn't want it powder-coated.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
Sounds like the aluminum pitting that happened on the pre-unibody MacBook Pro's (which I believe were powder-coated) from your oils and sweat.

macbookpropitting.jpg

Not my oils and sweat. I don't have anything like that on my palmrests. That's disgusting.

Remind me not to shake hands with you! :p

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Not my oils and sweat. I don't have anything like that on my palmrests. That's disgusting.

This does happen to anodized aluminum, though. It should not, that's the point of anodizing. But it's extremely rare, not common enough to warrant a change. It has something to do with a certain segment of the population producing oils and sweat of a certain PH level that reacts badly with this material. You almost never see it happen, but it does exist.

sacredgeometry

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
Sounds like the aluminum pitting that happened on the pre-unibody MacBook Pro's (which I believe were powder-coated) from your oils and sweat.

macbookpropitting.jpg

I always thought the tops of pre unibody mbps wasnt metal, sure didnt feel like it was made out of aluminium like the rest of the case.

iPhoney:)

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
The black Macbook with the glowing Apple on the back was the most attractive computer Apple ever made :(

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
speaking of "soaking body oils", when are they going to replace those plastic keys with something that don't get all 'shiny' after a month's use? They look ugly as well. What about glass keys (ala touchpad) or something like that?

Wash your hands every now and then?
:p

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
This does happen to anodized aluminum, though. It should not, that's the point of anodizing. But it's extremely rare, not common enough to warrant a change. It has something to do with a certain segment of the population producing oils and sweat of a certain PH level that reacts badly with this material. You almost never see it happen, but it does exist.

Interesting! My hands aren't particularly oily or sweaty - shake my hand, they're dry. But I managed to badly damage the hand rest areas of my Titanium Powerbook - that thing looked like it had been through two wars. Happened to a lesser extent to my pre-unibody MBP too - some anodization was reverted or lost, not sure how to explain that. It looked like abrasion but wasn't really. Small black dots on the aluminum.

My unibody (now 2 years and 4 months old) shows only some teeny-tiny abrasion at the right handrest - the sharp edge has some black dots if you look closely. It's rough to the touch. I don't think I ever banged that edge against anything, and it's right where my arm rests so I think it's a chemical reaction. Very small though, you wouldn't notice it if you didn't look for it.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
"We can make the biggest curved panes of glass in the world, but we can't powder coat a laptop successfully"

Cool.

Successfully and "Steve's Approval" are two different things. Besides, with the oleophobic coating, the glass won't show fingerprints like the laptop would. ;)

I would have thought that anodizing, and not powder coating, would be the way to go. I mean, the iPod Nano looks great in its colors. I wonder if anodizing a full-size computer would have been too costly, so they looked at powder coating instead. Admittedly, I have no idea what either method costs, so I'm just thinking out loud.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Well they could still make a Black MacBook. But this time, they should keep the plastic glossy, just like on the white version, instead of making it matt like it used to be on the BlackBook. Glossy black plastic won't absorb anything more than white does.

I think that would've looked pretty good. The issue is getting Apple to recognize that it still has a significant customer base committed to said MacBooks and getting some update love into them.

johnnycache

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
I don´t really believe in this story. Black Unibody Aluminium ist perfectly possible and has been done by HTC on their latest mobiles (Desire S, Incredible S, Sensation) and the flyer tablet.

Personally, I own an Unibody Macbook Pro and a Desire S and I must say that even when sweating, there is no big difference in the smudges on the MBP and on the Desire. By the way, thats one sweet phone. I´m still wondering why apple didn´t take the unibody manufacturing to the iPhone.

20110412_htc_desire_s_tb_01.jpg

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Lenovo doesn't make anything quality

I beg to differ *looks at various Lenovo ThinkPads in house*.

Lol, well, idk about him but I wash my hands several times a day and they barely sweat, but it still happens. Luckily not to my MBP, but my Magic Mouse has been suffering from it:

img3341n.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.