Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Hi,

I have an ipad 2 16gb wi-fi. Since I am short of space, does anyone know what size/resolution does ipad2 import photos.

If say I have a 4gb album on my macbook on iphoto, will ipad also use 4gb or will it compress it while syncing through itunes.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
If you have smaller, compressed images on your PC, they will actually take up more space on the iPad. iTunes creates a few versions on your pictures when it synchronises which is why on first sync with the new photos, you will see the message 'optimising pictures' for a while. I think it generates 3 images, one thumbnail, one full screen and another over sized image that has been optimised for zooming.
I'm not sure how large, full resolution images are handled i.e. if they are downsized and actually use up less space.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I don't think the answer is completely straightforward. When you import photos through iTunes it will reduce the resolution of them down to around 2000x1400 so that will reduce the file size. However at the same time iTunes decompresses them so the iPad has an easier time displaying them; which will increase the file size.

The best plan is probably just to stick the photos on and see. If you run out of space iTunes should just tell you it couldn't fit all the photos on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.