Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vomer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here we go:

[ Lion Boot Disk ]
Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.

Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”

Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.

Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.

Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.

Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc.

pwatson80

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
UK
Exactly, is it possible to install Lion without having any OS installed?

I 2nd that, or is it 3rd.

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe you can purchase a DVD at or cost, or even some kind of boot disk to download the installation on the fly. Much like Linux has done for years...

Would be nice to have some official word regarding this from God himself. WWDC raised a few questions in my mind regarding Office/Enterprise distribution.

solace

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
I 2nd that, or is it 3rd.

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe you can purchase a DVD at or cost, or even some kind of boot disk to download the installation on the fly. Much like Linux has done for years...

Would be nice to have some official word regarding this from God himself. WWDC raised a few questions in my mind regarding Office/Enterprise distribution.

it is possible to clean install with a burned disc of DP4... i did it on 2 machines. so i'd hope they'll leave that in for the final version as well.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you can make a bootable DVD then it's good. I've made a backup bootable DVD of snow leopard, even made a bootable flash drive for a hackintosh. If Lion somehow prevents this then buying a new HDD or in my case a new SSD would seem impossible if I wanted my OS on it.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
I can confirm from my fresh Lion install that this is possible. I used this guide but it might as well work out of the box...

xWinDows

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
I tried following this but the DVD's that I created were not bootable. What am I doing wrong?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here we go:

[ Lion Boot Disk ]
Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.

Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”

Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.

Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
USA

Here we go:

[ Lion Boot Disk ]

I open package contents on the installer but I cannot find the folder you specify... Where exactly is it? Am I clicking the wrong thing?

jack2

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
my steps was

1) make new partition for a Lion
2) inside SL, install the lion from InstallESD.dmg
3) back to SL copy InstallESD.dmg to my external hard
4) backup my files from SL
5) inside Lion, Erase SL partition "Optional"
6) resize the Old partition to Lion

now everything works fine with me

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
USA
That's a very good question.

Yep, I have an Air so had to do it this way.

Once you have the .dmg (However you obtained it)

Open disk utility and click your USB.

This is mine, I have 2 partitions on my 320GB External HDD, works the same on a USB though.

Click your partition, not the overhead name of the drive.
In this case I would select "Other" or the "Install ESD" (Although that is my current 10.7 installer)

Go to restore and select the 10.7 dmg as your source, the partition as the destination. Done.

Screen_Shot_2011-06-21_at_12.34.03_PM.png

Doug0915

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
How about AFTER you install Lion?

How do I create a boot disk if I realized I wanted one AFTER I upgraded to Lion? I tried re-downloading the installer from app store and it will not let me.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
How do I create a boot disk if I realized I wanted one AFTER I upgraded to Lion? I tried re-downloading the installer from app store and it will not let me.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't realize the installer would be deleted after upgrading.:(

trfjason

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
Yes, the installer gets deleted after the installation. I used Time Machine to backup my whole system right before I installed Lion and also copy the installation package to a USB.

Once you finished downloading Lion, it should appear in your Applications folder.

Make sure you backup the installation package before you install or else you won't have a chance to back up it later.

JamesM

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2007
Yes, the installer gets deleted after the installation. I used Time Machine to backup my whole system right before I installed Lion and also copy the installation package to a USB.

Once you finished downloading Lion, it should appear in your Applications folder.

Make sure you backup the installation package before you install or else you won't have a chance to back up it later.

So basically if you didn't back it up before installing it you've got no chance of doing a clean install at a later date?

Not impressed about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.