Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
My first? An Apple IIgs that was given to me...it was the odd duck 16-bit Apple II that used some Mac peripherals and had a GUI (with Finder!)

snap19.jpg

The next machine was a Macintosh SE (I picked it up used with an ImageWriter II, since the bundle was almost cheaper than getting just the printer from some resellers). That led to more and more older Macs until I finally decided it was time to jump into the world of OS X...

steezy1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Carlisle, UK
pretty sure this was my first one, 80Gb 5th Gen iPod Video

21B9XYA3J5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

after that it was 20" iMac 8,1, iBook g4, iPhone 3gs, iPhone4, iPad1, then finally a Black Macbook. i got the bug hard :p

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
My first Apple product was an iPod Classic. It was given to me but I never used it because it was given to me damaged. And the battery didn't work.

Then I bought the 1st gen iPod Touch. Never used it quite a lot.

Few months back I won a iP4, and 12 hrs later an iP3GS.
Those are a bit better than my first iPod :p

03jcrhr

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
My dad won a 1st Gen iPod Nano in Black and was kind enough to give it to me.

Does anyone remember the pouches iPods used to come with? I always used it, I think its a shame Apple stopped supplying them.

Cripps

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Mine was early Apple II in 1978.

Released: April 1977
Price: US $1298 with 4K RAM
US $2638 with 48K RAM
CPU: MOS 6502, 1.0 MHz
RAM: 4K min, 48K max
Display: 280 X 192, 40 X 24 text
6 colors maximum
Ports: composite video output
cassette interface
8 internal expansion slots
Storage: generic cassette drive
external 143K floppy (1978)

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
my first product was an iPod (now called classic) it was the 30gb model with the touch wheel and 4 buttons (illuminated red) I bought late 2003, the next thing I bought was a Powerbook G4 in April 2004 at the same time a blue iPod mini.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
iPod 20GB, had no idea at the time how much that one purchase would change everything, at that point macs weren't appealing to me, I can't imagine going back to windows after 5 years with macs

31H7RJB25GL._SS500_.jpg

50voltphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
5th gen iPod 30GB (easily one of the best iPod designs IMO)

This coupled with using my parents eMac whenever I visited greatly influenced my wife and I's decision to leave Windows behind when our Gateway laptop died.

then it was:

our 2008 20" iMac
wife's iPod Nano 4th gen
my iPod Classic 120 GB
my 2nd gen iPod Shuffle 1 GB
OS X Snow Leopard
our Apple TV2
my 1.42 GHz eMac (RIP)
iLife '11
Magic Trackpad
2nd gen iPad 16GB

(Edit: ACTUALLY, I just realized the first Apple product I owned was my 400 MHz iMac G3 (with Airport wifi!) which my wife got from her work for $25. She called me one day asking if I wanted another computer (I was using my Sony VAIO from college still at the time) and I said "Sure, why not, for $25". She took it home and it basically just sat there, unused, eventually taking up residence on the floor in our garage for 3 years or more in all the dirt, dust, humidity, and temperature extremes that come with a midwestern garage environment. Having been thoroughly bit by the Apple Bug after owning a modern iMac for a couple years, I suddenly remembered I still had that old G3 in my garage. So one quiet evening I resurrected it from underneath my workbench in the garage and got a damp cloth, paper towels,Windex, and a cold beer and wiped off all the years of grime and dust it had collected. I hooked up the mouse and keyboard, crossed my fingers and hit the power button... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG! I couldn't believe this thing actually booted up (OS X Panther). I then promptly went about updating the OS and web browser to greatest extent possible. At this point I was determined to actually find a purpose for this thing. I did some research as to the machines capabilities and history and tracked down a copy of Tiger to install, maxed out the RAM (1 GB), and even found an iSub to complete the setup. With our primary computer set up in the bedroom at the time, I set this machine up in our living room for use as a casual web browser and jukebox. Since then, I have installed a larger HD and used it for back-ups and even to record rough demos of my band. In fact I'm using it to play music as I type this. I had so much fun learning more about Mac hardware and software by working on this machine I swear it was fate or something that I came to own it.

good

isub

Last edited:

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

bought used: macintosh classic 4 mb RAM, 20 mb HD, Mac OS 6.0.8.

bought new: iMac rev B (via monthly payments via employer) own cash, direct: Pismo PowerBook G3 500 mhz (probably my best purchase ever, used it really much over 5 years...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.