Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Its not like a iPhone and needs more power hence the bigger adapter. If you have it plugged into a computer it will charge very slowly, only if asleep and you aren't using it.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
It does charge but very slowly. The USB from your computer does not put out enough juice to charge it as quickly as the wall charger.

ben173

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
my iPhone has a different charger then the iPad but i use my iPhone charger for my iPad is that bad for it?

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
my iPhone has a different charger then the iPad but i use my iPhone charger for my iPad is that bad for it?

Might shorten the life of your charger, but it shouldn't hurt the iPad. That, and it will take forever to charge.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I believe because the USB port you are using is a low power one. I don't have problems with my computer, charges fine, slower than outlet of course but not terrible.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Puleeze.... The iPad needs one amp for charging properly. The standard USB port is rated at half an Amp. Why risk damage by overloading the USB port?? Even if some silly software can make it work?? :eek:

Use the right charger. :cool:

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
iPhone charges slow enough via USB compared to on the wall, I think the iPad would take far too long even if it did charge through USB

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Puleeze.... The iPad needs one amp for charging properly. The standard USB port is rated at half an Amp. Why risk damage by overloading the USB port?? Even if some silly software can make it work?? :eek:

I never though of it like that. Good point.

Kellye8498

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
Most computers won't charge it but macs will. My MacBook air is what I use to charge my iPad 2 and it charges fully from near 0% in about 2 hours or les I'd guess. I'll have to let you know when I run it dead tonight. I'm at 78% now so I'm no where near dead, lol.

I guess you need to go out and buy a mac. Darn right? Haha!

omicron

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011

Lmao if they set the max to .5 A why would they put it there if it could damage your port??

It doesn't charge because your mobo doesn't allow for greater power draws. More expensive motherboards allow for 1A to be drawn, charging the iPad. Like my pc. Why do you care anyway? Lost your iPad charger? Just buy any 5V adapter. Just make sure it puts out 1A or more.

iPad wants 2A. You can use anything less or anything more thn 2A. Just make sure it's the same voltage.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
If you are on a Windows machine there is a good chance the USB port isn't powerful enough to charge it. This was a BIG fiasco at work when the iPad was introduced. Employees were trying to charge them via the HPs and Dells we had and they wouldn't charge.

However, that being said many machines had a fix released that would allow more power to the USB (I forget the specifics but if I remember correctly Asus had an article about it on their website which is how I learned about all of it).

Your computers website may have the information, but if not your motherboard manufacturers should.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
Each USB port is suppose to support up to 0.5A. Some manufacturers try to skimp by multiplexing multiple external USB ports onto one USB slot on the motherboard. Essentially 0.5A ends up being divided among the multiplexed ports. Normally most devices like USB drives and card readers don't draw that much current, so you can use multiple of them simultaneously and not have problems. However with the iPad, it needs at minimum 0.5A. So if you want to charge the iPad, then you'll have to disconnect other devices plugged into these multiplexed ports.

It is also the same reason why external USB hubs without an external AC adapter doesn't charge the iPad either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.