Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtgreen86

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
The aluminum bezel is actually consistent with the rest of the lineup because the Air screen is antiglare. Antiglare Pros have the same thing. As for the reasoning behind antiglare on the Air, it is probably to decrease weight.
Ahh, didn't realize the air had an antiglare screen. Thanks for clearing that up

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Ahh, didn't realize the air had an antiglare screen. Thanks for clearing that up

It doesn't, it's still glossy.

macbook-air-11-inch1.jpg

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
For those who want a black macbook air or black anything;

Plasti-Dip.jpg

I can vouch for this product. PlastiDip is a rubber material that sprays wet and dries matte black, leaving your products with a factory matte-black look. The crazy thing is, it's 100% reversible and peels right off if you don't like it BUT it's also incredibly durable and will stay on for years if you want. Home Depot sells it for $6.

I've used it on my car emblems and it looks great.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ems-plastidip-no-emblem-removal-required.html

Info from their website.
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
For those who want a black macbook air or black anything;
I can vouch for this product. PlastiDip is a rubber material that sprays wet and dries matte black, leaving your products with a factory matte-black look. The crazy thing is, it's 100% reversible and peels right off if you don't like it BUT it's also incredibly durable and will stay on for years if you want. Home Depot sells it for $6.

Probably not the wisest choice for heat dissipation, but an interesting product nonetheless.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah would be nice to see a black macbook, and I'm pretty sure it can be pulled off, there are a lot of black aluminum cases out there, good ones..

Atamagaii

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
First a white iPhone and now this. I guess Apple just aren't good with colours.

Sure, white iPhones and black MacBooks are gross (don't get me started on the white iPad), but the appetite of tasteless bogans for such products appears to be insatiable! I've read about people holding off on an iPhone 4 for a year just to get the white!

P51Mustangrulz

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
That pitting is nasty! I'm surprised that Steve Jobs and Apple could not find a way to manufacture a black aluminum laptop. I mean it's not like most military firearms today aren't made out of aluminum and steel (ex. M4/M16, MP5) - and you know that if a soldier has to carry those things all day in the worst environments possible...Apple should be able to make a black aluminum laptop!

oneofthesedaves

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is one of the main reasons I love Steve. He does not want to put out crap. I had a Dell that soaked up skin oils and it looked so bad that I was embarrassed to pull it out in front of clients. Nice job, Jobs. Let someone else make crap.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple failed to make a Black MBA cause Mac users do not wash their greasy hands before using the computer.

My 2¢ for a topic title.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
This does happen to anodized aluminum, though. It should not, that's the point of anodizing. But it's extremely rare, not common enough to warrant a change. It has something to do with a certain segment of the population producing oils and sweat of a certain PH level that reacts badly with this material. You almost never see it happen, but it does exist.

You mean, just like there is people who 'clean' silver by just wearing it, and other people 'stain' it? Galvanic Series?

It happens to me. I have a necklace and I never have to clean it. Other silver accessories that I keep in a box do stain over time.

ioannis

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
speaking of "soaking body oils", when are they going to replace those plastic keys with something that don't get all 'shiny' after a month's use? They look ugly as well. What about glass keys (ala touchpad) or something like that?
Wash your hands every now and then?
:p

I do, although I think you missed the "body oils" part. Also, my finger tips are quite dry. Dry enough to cause the touchpad having trouble registering events sometimes. It's not just a matter of smearing. The plastic looses its matte finish.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
I do, although I think you missed the "body oils" part. Also, my finger tips are quite dry. Dry enough to cause the touchpad having trouble registering events sometimes. It's not just a matter of smearing. The plastic looses its matte finish.

... true, mine are shiny, too. Thanks for pointing that out, now I can get annoyed with it as well. Argh.

Speedyt

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
anodising

If you were very brave, you might like to take the covers from the machine to a local anodising company. They could sand blast any powder coating from the aluminum, and apply an anodising of your choice of color- black, purple, orange, green, or any combination of any color of the rainbow. Well known technique for bike components.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
Black powder coated, really? This is total bs. Steve would never! He would consider black brushed aluminum before trying powder coating anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.