Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sourcherri14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
I have an iPod touch 2nd gen and I mostly edit my playlists on my iPod itself. When I plug in my iPod to add songs the playlists that I edited recently reset back to the way it was before I edited it. Why does it do that? Its really irritating cause my playlists always take me forever to do. Is there a setting in iTunes or something to stop it from doing it???? PLEASE HELP!!!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
What settings do you have set in iTunes?

Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 1.04.37 PM.jpg
click for larger​

I believe you have to have iTunes set to Manually manage music and videos on the iPod which you intend to manage by itself.

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
Yah I do use the manually manage music. Its easier that way. What does that have to do with my playlists?

Well deactivate it then, and try again? Can I ask you why you find managing manually easier than auto? You could make a playlist on your pc that contains all songs that you currently sync and still use smart playlist features for e.g.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Yah I do use the manually manage music. Its easier that way. What does that have to do with my playlists?

Well take a step back and think about the options provided. if you have iTunes set to manage the music and playlists for you, it will overwrite changes you make on the ipod itself when you sync it next time.

If it is still changing your playlists when set to manually manage music and videos, then you have something else going on that I don't quite understand.

alicat58

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2013
I have a 4th gen touch with sync set to manual and I have exactly the same problem. Any new ideas since the last non-answer?

VoluptuousYak

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
I have the same issue. My previous computer crashed a long time ago and I lost all my music. My iPod Touch still has all of my old music on it so I manually add any new songs rather than sync incase it replaces my my 3000+ old songs with my current iTunes library on the computer. I have noticed that whenever I decide to add songs to my iPod, any changes I have made to my playlists is reset. This is frustrating as I can not add any new songs to my iPod without the it removing changes to my playlists and deleting any new playlists. Is there an option somewhere which can disable this?

Last edited:

sunrisemusic

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2010
I remember that this used to happen to me also when I had my 4G iPod Touch, though I cant' remember if it was intermittent or if it always happened after syncing with iTunes.

Perhaps the 'manually manage music' setting refers to things done to the iPod from within iTunes - such as stuff like putting music/playlists etc manually (as oppsed to syncing) onto the iPod (from within iTunes), rather than creating on-the-fly playlists on the iPod when out in the wilds far away from any iTunes.

Maybe the older iOSes had the iPod-created playlists as temporary only? (Never tried it in iOS6, I stayed on a lower iOS, and have yet to try it on my new 5G and iOS7).

----------

PS - VoluptuousYak, you might want to consider getting some 'iPod to Computer' software so that you can safely get all your music back onto your computer as backup in case anything happens to your iPod! There's a few good programs out there, though I'm not up on the latest and the greatest.

brtova

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
manually manage music? i am confused by your answer

"Perhaps the 'manually manage music' setting refers to things done to the iPod from within iTunes ........"

----------
i have an ipod touch version 4.2.1 and my itunes is 11.

I have downloaded podcasts on my ipod touch and now I want to fill part of the space left, which is more than 3/4 left, with music.

When I ask to sync my music it says
"Are you sure you want to sync music? All existing content on the iPod will be removed and replaced with songs and playlists from your iTunes library."

Why can't I easily truly manage what I want on my ipod.

Why is this so complicated? And maybe I am misunderstanding what "manually manage" means. To me, that means that I can chose what and when to download and sync............?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.