Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellepace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Texas
I realized this past week I was not getting all my normal mail. Then I got the letter from me.com to clean out backlogs as I was at 15mb of mail. SO I did. I cleaned down to 2 mb of mail.

On my mac mail program I have my aol acct coming in and my mac mail coming in. I have had this working perfectly for four years with out a hitch...until I cleaned out the backlog. Evidently for the past week or more NEW MAIL has been going into my TRASH and not arriving in my inbox. I am receiving only about 40% of my mail in my inbox and the other 60% is going to TRASH. It is mixed both AOL mail and mac mail.

I do know how to set preference for RULES but none of this has been altered. I checked it all.
Any IDEAS??? I have to check my trash before I check my inbox.

Elle

unkn0wnsoldier

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Fountain, Co
If they are going into the trash folder, you can select your messages and mark them as "not junk". Then they should go into your inbox from now on.

ellepace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Texas
No choice of selecting "not junk"

Seems now only MAC mail is going into the trash can over the past 24 hours.
There is not a choice of not junk, only mark unread, flagged, or as junk. AOL allows those choices if you are signed into AOL but I have received my aol via MAC for four years with out this happening.

My junk mail is marked... "Mark as junk mail but leave in INBOX"... but none of it is going there.

ellepace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Texas
Incoming unread mail to Trash

As the NEW INCOMING mail goes into my trash first... it is strange after I read it and hit delete it shows back up in there again as read. Still trying to figure this out.

Could any of this be set from me.com? My settings here have not changed.

ellepace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Texas
Are there not some Mac experts out here?

This is one week into a nightmare of NEW MAIL arriving in my MAC trash instead of in my inbox. I have changed nothing and the only thing preceding this was cleaning out 15mb of mail. I could use some HELP???:confused:

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Check the rules in the mail see if there is a rule saying all incoming mail move it to trash

ellepace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Texas
More info on the trash

TRASH is the main and then it lists:
mac account
on my mac
my aol act

The mail is going unread into the ON MY MAC account listed under TRASH.

ellepace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Texas
I'd start by inactivating all rules, then add them back one at a time seeing what happens each time as new mail arrives.

I went into RULES and looked at the last three I had added. I have adjusted several of the new ones and am hoping that will do it. I deleted a quarter of them as well.

Fingers crossed!

Laurie

Czar1976

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
I realized this past week I was not getting all my normal mail. Then I got the letter from me.com to clean out backlogs as I was at 15mb of mail. SO I did. I cleaned down to 2 mb of mail.

On my mac mail program I have my aol acct coming in and my mac mail coming in. I have had this working perfectly for four years with out a hitch...until I cleaned out the backlog. Evidently for the past week or more NEW MAIL has been going into my TRASH and not arriving in my inbox. I am receiving only about 40% of my mail in my inbox and the other 60% is going to TRASH. It is mixed both AOL mail and mac mail.

I do know how to set preference for RULES but none of this has been altered. I checked it all.

Elle
[doublepost=1490727005][/doublepost]I have been having this same problem for a year or so now on all my mac devices. I did not realize it until 2 weeks ago when I decided to check the trash folder. Literally 70% of my e-mails from my work go directly to Trash and I now check it first. This happened on my macbook air and now my I Pad Pro. I have a few I Cloud e-mail addresses that I set up with each Mac device as well as my gmail address that goes to all of my devices (2 cell phones, mac bookair, I pad pro, and I pad mini). This is so frustrating and until I started checking the trash file recently I was getting bitched at my co-workers because they thought I was not responding and being unproductive. The guys at the genius bar are arrogant when I have ever asked them to help with any mac problem, and then try to pass the buck on to some other reason. They seem to act like all macs are flawless and that the problem lies with me. After reading your post and others online, I now know this is an issue for many people. Having this cause work related problems is, well, a real problem. Anybody have any solution other than talking to the "geniuses"?

Halfpap

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
This problem just started with me and my iPhone. No changes, all of my emails from AOL are going to Trash. I just downloaded the new update to the OS so hopefully this corrects the problem.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
It's doing you a favor. Your friends are really boring.
Crusty.jpg

RayJoshhua

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
If they are going into the trash folder, you can select your messages and mark them as "not junk". Then they should go into your inbox from now on.
[doublepost=1515750329][/doublepost]You can not mark messages as "not junk" when the messages are in the "Trash" folder.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Apple Mail's junk handling is diabolically bad. Considering all the iterations and tweaks they've done in iOS it's mind-boggling how they've left Mail alone, considering how often we use it each day, every day.

A simple - yet massively helpful - addition would be: you should be able to right-click an email and view what Rules have taken action on it (moved it to Trash, or Junk, etc.)

I took some time to create dozens of rules, each of which has dozens of spam from addresses, and it's pretty effective at moving almost all junk mail to Junk. Except now much of my actual email is also going in there. If I want to figure out what rule is doing that - good luck! The easiest way is to find the "SyncedRules.plist" file and search that instead of via the Mail UI.

Reactions: arkitect

Munki60

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
Cardiff
I have noticed this is also happening to me. I now have to check my Trash before my inbox. Emails are appearing there first. When i drag them to inbox, they move staright back into trash! I don't have any rules set up. I tried dragging the email to Junk, and it stayed there. I then click on 'Move to Inbox', which it did, but then moved straight back into Trash.

Anybody any ideas?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Apple's mail app does a lot of things well. What is mind-numbingly shocking is the number of things it doesn't do well or at all.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Just as an FYI, the first 10 posts in this thread are from 2011
Those suffering a similar issue today are possibly/probably due to a different root cause

blewvelvet

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
YES....this has been happening from .me to icloud.

Login to icloud account on web browser.
Go to MAIL
On the lower left there is a COG WHEEL/Setttings.
Click RULES.

The web version of your rules have been very naughty and have overridden the app.
If you don't have a rule in there. Try creating an overriding rule here.

Elle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.