Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I am watching a clip, and where I paused it (spacebar), I want a playhead inserted. How do I do that via a keyboard shortcut? because if I move the mouse, I lose the spot!

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
When I pause and press the right arrow (to move the playhead forward one frame), I lose the playhead. If I double click and them press the right arrow, it works, but there's no way I can precisely double click in the exact area that I paused it ... Hope that makes sense?!

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
k .. Looking forward to see what you can find ... It's so frustrating because I would think that there is an easy way to use a keyboard shortcut (spacebar) to create a playhead and then another keyboard shortcut to nudge it this way or that way ... Thanks

kRobbin

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
Boulder, CO
Better playhead management would be great. Along the same lines, whenever I drag my mouse over video sequences, playhead moves sequentially to the path of my mouse which drives me nuts.

Is there a setting to only move playhead on mouse click?

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I'm so glad that someone else finds this as frustrating as I do! :) bump, bump, bump! :)

Mac Eagle

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Are you trying to do an edit or trim at a specific point? If so, you should be able to bring up the precission editor by right-clicking on the clip and then it will open the clip in editing mode. From there you should be able to drag the yellow markers to the exact spot you want your edit at. There's also a seperate option that allows you to quickly trim the exact start point of your clip.

Not in front of the Mac right now but you may have to turn on the advanced editing features in Preferences. Can't remember right now if this is the case.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
the issue is that by doing it with the mouse is not precise... there are some clips where I figure out where I want to split it by watching it and then pressing spacebar to pause where I want it clipped. then I may want to nudge it just a few frames in a certain direction, but as soon as I move the mouse, I lose the spot.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I'd love to see a screencast of that in action?? Would be great.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
OK. In my iMovie11, playing the Project with the spacebar. If I use the spacebar to stop/pause play, the playhead doesn't move. I can then nudge it left or right by using the arrow keys. If you want to move the mouse, then hold down the ctrl key while you do it. With the ctrl key still pressed, left click and that brings up a menu where you can slit the clip.

If you are trying to cut from one clip to another at a very specific point, click on the cogwheel of the righthand clip and choose the Precision Editor.

Screenshot2011-06-22at212830.png

Use the mouse to move the blue line to position the cut point where you want it.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
w/ regard to your first answer, I press spacebar and it pauses. I then hit control (thanks for that) and whereas the mouse doesn't change the playhead, if I press left or right arrow, nothing happens ... ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.