Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
for office 2011 :

- copy microsoft folder from older macs Applications folder To --> Applications folder (on target/new mac)
- copy ~Library/Application Support/microsoft folder to Target Mac
- copy ~Library/prefrences/*microsoft* to Target Mac
- copy ~Library/users/your_username/Library/preferences/*microsoft* to Target Mac
- Copy ~Library/users/your_username/Library/Application support/Microsoft to target Mac.

And voila ...MS office is now on your new Mac. Do note however that you must keep only one copy of MS office active post the move to avoid getting into any licensing trouble.

Last edited:

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
You missed files installed in the main Library folder that are used by Office. It's always best to run the installer to get all files needed.

See this link for all files installed by Microsoft Office 2011.

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
You missed files installed in the main Library folder that are used by Office. It's always best to run the installer to get all files needed.

See this link for all files installed by Microsoft Office 2011.

I agree...running installer is the best way to do this but I lost my DVD during my move to west coast and had no option but to resort to this method. BTW, It's working fine so far with all this file copy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you have the product code/registration number to activate it? if so, just download the demo and use that code

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.