Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hliewprk

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
Number of Fingers on Space Bar For Tab

2 fingers on Space Bar, 2 spaces; 3 fingers on Space Bar, indent 3 spaces and even 4 fingers work. Give it a try.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
ovrlrd said:
There is nothing I hate more than editing someone elses document that they wrote up that has spacing in it that was created using the tab key. If you do not know how to use margins in Pages then you should go learn how. Using the tab key is like typing on a typewriter from old days, you have a word processor that is capable of creating excellent margins and advanced spacing but you choose to screw up the entire formatting of your document by using the tab key? You are ridiculous, such an awful habit to reinforce, I am glad Apple did not include a tab key.

Thanks for making that point. it really does make sense to learn how to do things properly instead of complaining that the hack we were ignorantly using before doesn't exist anymore.

hliewprk said:
2 fingers on Space Bar, 2 spaces; 3 fingers on Space Bar, indent 3 spaces and even 4 fingers work. Give it a try.
Great tip! This is very useful for simple writing apps like Notepad.

I really wish these little shortcuts were documented by Apple somewhere.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but I just figured out how to indent a bullet point in Keynote using the touch screen.

If you double click on the bulleted text, you get option to cut, paste etc. If you then touch between the bullet point and the text, the whole line gets highlighted and you can move it wherever you like. You can indent it or move it up or down.

I hope this isn't obvious to others 'cause I'll feel like a dork.

+1 you just made my day because now I can indent my presentation! Thanks!

lewjos1972

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
A solution?

So you want to tab? Double tap, click More..., then Insert..., and there you have it! Tab!!!!

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
Although I can see the argument for not using tabs in word processing, and I can kind of agree with that, I would still expect a tab key. My reasoning? Well when typing an email, or filling in a form online it can be quite a pain to keep repositioning my hands from typing mode, to having to touch somewhere on the screen to go to the next field.

eg. typing an email; going from the 'to' field, to the subject, then the message body would be so much quicker with a tab, or even create a new button, calling it something like 'next'?

That's really my only larger gripe with the iPad right now.
There are already buttons to *tab* between fields using safari.

Attachments

• ASk8rsPCAAEJpFs.jpg
    ASk8rsPCAAEJpFs.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 220

fjtb2000

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
Really - No Tab Key on iPhone & iPad?

My old Treo 650 smartphone had a tab key that functioned perfectly. Perfect columns whenever needed. It's Very outdated now and Treo long discontinued- but I find myself making columns all the time. To make indented columns Now on my iPhone I hit space bar a 3-9 times for each indented column needed and deal with poor results __THX APPLE__WHY IS THAT?___ or I do the following if it must be perfect.
____ (1) Example...My old Treo 650 had perfect keyboard functions
____ (2) Example...My old Treo 650 had perfect keyboard functions
____ (3) Example...My old Treo 650 had perfect keyboard functions
__________BUT REALLY APPLE DEVELOPERS TEK GUYS......
__________WHY NO "TAB" FEATURE ON IPHONE OR IPAD????

I also pray for the day Apple copies Palm Treo's FAR better Calender too.

Last edited:

Ahuber

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Insert

You can insert a tab using the insert button in the pop up dialog that appears when you tap in the text of your doc. However, does anyone know of a quicker shortcut (or had luck creating one)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.