Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audi09

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Los Angeles
1- What do I need to watch out for? He says the "ESN" is clean. Is there a way I can check if that is true?
2- Its jailbroken, What are the pros/cons of that? And will that give me any problems activating it at Verizon?

So say everything about the phone is fine and working, do I just take it to a Verizon store, chose a plan and have them activate it?

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
1- What do I need to watch out for? He says the "ESN" is clean. Is there a way I can check if that is true?
2- Its jailbroken, What are the pros/cons of that? And will that give me any problems activating it at Verizon?

So say everything about the phone is fine and working, do I just take it to a Verizon store, chose a plan and have them activate it?

Verizon can tell you if the ESN is clean. Have the seller give you the MEID number and you can call Verizon and verify this. What I would do though is just have the person meet you at the Verizon store and have the phone activated while they stand there. If they don't show up, you know there's some funny stuff going on.

The phone being jailbroken doesn't affect you. Before Verizon activates it, they will restore it to it factory state. You will start with a non-jailbroken phone.

jonter19

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
I'm also looking to buy a used Verizon iPhone.

Where exactly is the MEID on the iPhone? I know on most Verizon phones, it is located under the battery, but you can't take the battery out of the iPhone.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
If it's anything like the GSM iPhones the MEID should also be visible in Settings>General>About.

iRepairSolution

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
I wouldn't ask him for the imei number, I would actually call verizon with the phone in your hand. I've had bad experiences with this. The ESN an be clean at the time of the sale but if the guy doesn't pay his bill then the phone will get blacklisted. The account has to be inactive and in good standing. Hope this helps.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
If you don't want to meet at a Verizon store, make sure you can activate on your line while you're meeting the person.

Dial *228, press 3 and then you will be prompted to enter your phone number and the last 4 of your SSN. If the ESN is clean, the iPhone will then be switched over onto your number immediately.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
The ESN an be clean at the time of the sale but if the guy doesn't pay his bill then the phone will get blacklisted. The account has to be inactive and in good standing. Hope this helps.

I don't believe this is true. An ESN can be clean if his bill is current. A Verizon rep can then transfer the phone into the buyers name. If the seller then decides to not pay his bill, I don't believe Verizon can go back and blacklist the phone which has already been transferred into someone else's name.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
If you don't want to meet at a Verizon store, make sure you can activate on your line while you're meeting the person.

Dial *228, press 3 and then you will be prompted to enter your phone number and the last 4 of your SSN. If the ESN is clean, the iPhone will then be switched over onto your number immediately.

you dial *228, press 1 to activate and then you enter your billing passcode (i don't know what happens if you haven't set one up).

alternatively, you can enter the esn, meid or imei number at this page. if the esn is clear, it should tell you that the device is ready to be activated or something like that.

still, if i were buying a verizon phone, i'd have the seller meet at a verizon store. an unwillingness to do this is shady.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.