Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Hello

My wife kept her iPad in the rain and now the screen has some weird blemishes on it.. I doubt this is covered under warrantee. Is there anyway to get these weird blotches out? I think this was just and excuse for her to get an iPad 2.
J

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
This may not get the blemishes out, but I write it anyway.

I would have a serious talk with her about the surrounding topics to her statement, after she has told you her side of the story. Talk with her about how great the new iPads are compared to the old ones, how it's important to take care of one's things, how careful she usually is with electronic devices, how you can't afford a new iPad anyway (if true) etc. Watch her reactions carefully, and check for inconsistencies with her initial statement of having forgetfully left the iPad in the rain. Also, do observe her reactions (voice, body language, etc) to your approach, regardless of what she answers. Finally, IF there is a sufficient amount of guilt, remorse or inconsistencies on her side, confront her with your suspicion and she will tell you the truth.

This might seem like an interrogation technique, which it is. And a very efficient one, too. Remember that even if your gut feeling is not always right, it's never wrong either.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Hello

My wife kept her iPad in the rain and now the screen has some weird blemishes on it.. I doubt this is covered under warrantee. Is there anyway to get these weird blotches out? I think this was just and excuse for her to get an iPad 2.
J

The blotches may go away once it is completely dried or they may continue to stay there. Only time can tell.

Hopefully that really wasn't an excuse to buy a new one because you could have sold the old one and put the money towards a new one. Now it's going to be worth less money.

Firen

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Vienna, Austria
I'd turn the device off completely and let it dry properly (not on a radiator, just at normal room temperature). The blemishes might go away after some days.

And: Presumption of innocence should apply! Especially in a marriage.

nwb123

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
try putting it in rice, not yet cooked. they said rice can suck the moisture.. not sure though

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

I would have a serious talk with her about the surrounding topics to her statement, after she has told you her side of the story. Talk with her about how great the new iPads are compared to the old ones, how it's important to take care of one's things, how careful she usually is with electronic devices, how you can't afford a new iPad anyway (if true) etc. Watch her reactions carefully, and check for inconsistencies with her initial statement of having forgetfully left the iPad in the rain. Also, do observe her reactions (voice, body language, etc) to your approach, regardless of what she answers. Finally, IF there is a sufficient amount of guilt, remorse or inconsistencies on her side, confront her with your suspicion and she will tell you the truth.

This might seem like an interrogation technique, which it is. And a very efficient one, too. Remember that even if your gut feeling is not always right, it's never wrong either.

Can't believe some woman hasn't snatched you up yet.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Buy her an iPad 2. When the iPad 1 is dried out and working fine again you'll have something YOU can play with. Apple won't replace a device damaged by getting wet.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011

Did you miss the part where he said it's his wife, not his seven-year-old?

To the OP: Have you tried the bag of rice trick people use with their iPhones?

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

rdowns said:

That's easily the best response ive ever seen. *I tip my hat to you*

GreenLabel

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Texas
What else should he do if that don't work:eek:? Beat it out of her!

If the 'beating' does not work, put 'her' out in the rain!! haha Just kidding!
Good luck getting it dried out. I have tried the 'rice' advice before on a cell phone and it worked!

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010

LOL, if I would have done that to my wife I would be sleeping in a motel! Yet, there are some that think talking to another person like this (especially your wife) is ok.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
LOL, if I would have done that to my wife I would be sleeping in a motel! Yet, there are some that think talking to another person like this (especially your wife) is ok.
Why wouldn't it be? It's not ok to leave the iPad out in the rain either.

But it has to be done in a subtle and not-too-obvious way, though.

Did you miss the part where he said it's his wife, not his seven-year-old?
Certainly not. And if the tables had been turned (husband left iPad in the rain, wife consults MR), I would give the wife the same advice. I have used such techniques in my work so I know they're efficient on adults. Not always, of course - and it's a matter of practice too. For instance: pathological liars could circumvent this especially if they were more skilled in the game than I was, in which case it would be nearly impossible to ambush them.

Last edited by a moderator:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Just buy your wife a new iPad 2 because you love her.

And for all of those who want to delve into the deeper motivations of her actions. Get back to us when you've examined yourselves and can report back you're perfect.

Sheesh. Happy long marriages are not that difficult when you don't think of your spouse as an adversary.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
What else should he do if that don't work:eek:? Beat it out of her!
Of course - that's the next step... and you knew it! :D Nah, I'm just kidding, that's a horrific thing to do :mad: better make them want to tell you the truth. But it's important that they're under such pressure that telling you the truth actually becomes a relief - while at the same time, the pressure really comes from within themselves due to cognitive dissonance... which again is partly induced by tactical conversation on your part.

Sheesh. Happy long marriages are not that difficult when you don't think of your spouse as an adversary.
Antagonism is a natural part of life. Deal with it.

Last edited:

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Why wouldn't it be? It's not ok to leave the iPad out in the rain either.

But it has to be done in a subtle and not-too-obvious way, though.

It was likely an accident. :rolleyes: Clearly you are not in a relationship and if you are I pitty the person that is with you as you have serious issues of trust. My wife is my best friend and I would never think of talking to her like you described. I would simply ask her what happened, get the answer and take it for the truth. There is no need to go all KGB on her!

Manipulating people is not OK and I am willing to bet that your coworkers know what you are doing. :rolleyes:

Not if you want a lasting marriage!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

I don't think the OP wanted marriage counseling plus all this would of done is caused conflict.

OP it isn't really worth getting a screen replacment you may have to replace with a iPad 2. I dont think rice works with the ipad.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Of course - that's the next step... and you knew it! :D Nah, I'm just kidding, that's a horrific thing to do :mad: better make them want to tell you the truth. But it's important that they're under such pressure that telling you the truth actually becomes a relief - while at the same time, the pressure really comes from within themselves due to cognitive dissonance (induced by tactical conversation on your part)

Question for you: Do you think long and happy marriages are built in an environment where a life partner can only get the things they want by resorting to lying? Why would a life partner feel that this way, I wonder?
Not in our marriage, it isn't. We face life as it comes side by side, not face to face. I'm not saying our marriage is perfect. I do stupid things, she does stupid things. We look at each other, laugh about it, and get on with the important things in our lives. Proving that the other person was wrong never enters our minds. YMMV

Last edited:

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
It was likely an accident. :rolleyes: Clearly you are not in a relationship and if you are I pitty the person that is with you as you have serious issues of trust. My wife is my best friend and I would never think of talking to her like you described. I would simply ask her what happened, get the answer and take it for the truth. There is no need to go all KGB on her!
The OP seems to have trust issues with his wife in the first place, which is why I wrote what I did. I have been married for many years, yet never had a reason to not trust my wife. She's the finest human being I have ever known, and I treat her accordingly. Some would say she's better than I deserve, but that would be an insult towards her intelligence (and I would never marry a stupid girl).
Manipulating people is not OK and I am willing to bet that your coworkers know what you are doing. :rolleyes:
Oh, I can guarantee you that they know - and hopefully they know it to its full extent, even.

Question for you: Do you think long and happy marriages are built in an environment where a life partner can only get the things they want by resorting to lying? Why would a life partner feel that this way, I wonder?

Ask the OP. He's the one who suspects that his wife left the iPad in the rain on purpose, so as to get an excuse for buying a new one.

See my post above, btw.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Ask the OP. He's the one who suspects that his wife left the iPad in the rain on purpose, so as to get an excuse for buying a new one.

See my post above, btw.

Saw your post. I was assuming the OP was trying to be funny.

I doubt the iPad is covered under warranty (to confirm the OP's rhetorical question)... time to bite the bullet. Stuff happens. Oh well.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
This might be the most bizarre thread I've seen on MR and that's saying a lot. I think the excuse line was tongue in cheek and the actual question posed was about the probability of fixing the issue and/or warranty coverage. Not, how do I interrogate my wife.

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008

I think you took the OP way too literally. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't serious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.