Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to sources close to ThinkSecret, Apple is expected to upgrade the line of iPod minis to include a larger 5 or 6 GB hard drive, and include a color screen.
Highly reliable sources have confirmed that the next iPod mini will gain a full-color active-matrix TFT screen while the form factor will remain largely unchanged. The color screen will be able to display colors clearly and brightly regardless of ambient lighting, even outdoors in direct sunlight. The new screen will be about the same size as the current iPod mini display and will sport a 176x132 resolution.

Apple's move to a color screen on the iPod mini is part of the company's shift away from monochrome displays, sources said. Standard iPods will also gain color screens across the board with the next update later this year. The move toward color screens is part of an effort by Apple to keep its industry-leading iPod looking new and fresh. In the last 6-8 months, prices on small active matrix TFT screens have dropped sharply and several Apple competitors are already using them, including Rio, iRiver, Creative, Gateway, and Samsung.

The next iPod mini will also pack a higher capacity Seagate drive. Sources hinted at a 6GB drive, but Seagate currently only offers its 1-inch hard drive the iPod mini would use in a 5GB capacity. The possibility always remains that for a customer as large as Apple, Seagate may quietly roll-out a 6GB version of its ST1 Series hard drive alongside the new iPod mini.
Pricing is expected to stay at the current $249.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
Nice. This could be the big announcement for next week. I wonder if we will also get an iMac announcement.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Verrryy interesting...looks like I may need a mini to go along with my shuffle. Color screen is a big bonus. I almost bought a mini several months ago, but balked because the monochrome paled (no pun intended) in comparison to the color screen on the photos.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
I wonder if Apple have made some breakthroughs in extending battery life? The current iPod Mini gives a just-about-bearable 8 hours maximum play time. With a newer HD and a colour screen this would place more demands on it, I just wonder what they've done to help it.

kidtronix

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
would be a rather hard hit at everyone who coughed up the dough for an ipod photo. but it seems like the only direction to go, with color displays that is.

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
if the price stays the same, i am more than there... i have been in the market for a mini, but this makes it more than worth it to grab a new one.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I figured this would happen. I waited and waited to buy my girlfriend her iPod mini and finally got it for Valentine's Day. Now they are going to be updated. I wouldn't have been too upset if it was just a 5 gig HD instead of 4 but now we are looking at possible color screens and 6 gigs! Guess I will have to give Apple a call and see if they will send us a new one.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
How about mini with no color screen, but 6GB harddrive, 20 hours battery life, and $199 price point? I really don't see the need for a color screen.

davey-nb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NORTH America
Good one Nick!

Macrumors said:
According to sources close to ThinkSecret, Apple is expected to upgrade the line of iPod minis to include a larger 5 or 6 GB hard drive, and include a color screen.

Pricing is expected to stay at the current $249.

Way to go Nick de Plume, what amazing sources you have, and sticking with you through lawsuits and plague and locusts. Awesome karma, it seems moles really, really like you!
Deep Throat lives on in Cupertino.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Lacero said:
How about mini with no color screen, but 6GB harddrive, 20 hours battery life, and $199 price point? I really don't see the need for a color screen.
You can get a Shuffle if you don't like screens... ;)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Hmmm... I can barely squeeze 9 hrs battery life from my year old mini. Hopefully Apple has improved the battery if they're really putting a colour screen on the next rev. A decrease in battery life would NOT be a good move...

cmx08

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
???

what will happend to the iPod photo?

i was hoping to see a capacity increase and a price decrease only, along with some design changes like a solid wheel like in the 3G and mic.

something that ppl will like more, more affordable.

why not radio? well the metal case of the ipods will weaken the RF, and besides, who will listen to the radio when they have 4-60GB of music

mic in HD based devices, even in flash based 64MB had have it as a handy recorder.
will it kill iMic or whatever the 3rd party mics are? no because they have more features and better quality.

well again, why not, apple had been killing competition with the apps like safari vs ie, mail vs outlook, shake and motion vs Adobe's, and last but not least, office vs iWork

like i read it somewhere, "...if the big companies can give it all to you, they can also take it away from you..." (this was refering to microsoft office at the time)

paulg

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2004
UK
ipod mini

i dont see the point in a color screen either. graphically the monchrome screens look great. sticking with my 2ndGen ipod for now....we i'm broke so...

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
Lacero said:

And I really don't see the need for 20 hours of battery life. Why do you people need ANY more than 8... hell any more than 6??

Morning commute + Evening commute + Gym Time.. that's gotta max out at about 4 hours. Then you go home and dock it. Done. What kind of lives do you people lead where you need it non-stop, away from a socket, for 20 hours??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.