Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
So I was playing Army of Darkness today, and going for the record. I had reached 100 million points in Endless Mode, but first place on the leaderboard is 1 billion. :eek: So I am hard at work, up to 327 million, when nature calls and I place the iPad on my seat while I go to the restroom. While there I hear a "thump"' and when I came back the iPad had slid off the chair onto carpet. No big deal, it's not the first time, right? And besides, it was only two feet onto carpet!

Well, it seems the iPad hit the floor at just the right angle/corner, and it bent the corner and shattered the glass. Ouch. :(

Needless to say, I was distraught. I headed over to the Apple store (10 minutes away) determined to buy a new one. I just can't live without the sucker. Yes, I should have made an appointment (I know that NOW), and the next one was in two hours. And they were out of the black 64GB AT&T model for retail purchase. Ratz. :mad:

Ok, so I went home, backed up my iPad, and returned for my appointment 2 hours later. They had a white iPad in stock which, as a last resort, I would buy. I wondered how much it would be to repair mine. Or would they swap it out for a refurb for a fee? That would be sweet. I could probably sell it on eBay and be out a couple hundred bucks. Or keep it as a spare in case of another mishap. I hadn't realized how attached I've become to this.

So, my turn comes up. "What can I do for you today?". "I dropped my iPad and I broke it" I said. "Well, that's refreshing" the Genius said. "You should hear some of the stories we get...". :rolleyes:

So after looking it over and asking me how long I'd had it (2 months) I was waiting for her to give me a list of fees for repair, she said "I'll go ahead and replace it at no charge since you've only had it for such a short time...". :eek:

Now, I will be the first to say I was not expecting this, but I wasn't about to complain. I gave her an enthusiastic THANK YOU and walked away with my brand new brown box iPad which, as an added bonus, has ZERO light bleed.

:)

So, from a devout Android user goes a big shout out to Apple - THANK YOU. You certainly didn't need to do that but you did, and not only kept a customer happy but made him happier. I may have my pet peeves with iOS and iTunes for Windows, but none with your "above and beyond" customer service in my case. I will dutifully keep spending money in the App Store and singing your praises to anyone who will listen. Outstanding. :apple:

My only regret is losing my 327 million points in AoD, but that was a small price to pay. I'll get back to slashing Deadites on my brand new, crack and bleed free gorgeous iPad 2 thanks to Apple.

THANK YOU!

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
Yeah that's what I love about the Genius Bar, here in Melbourne all they do is replace your device, love it! Had my iPhone for a year and it somehow stopped vibrating, took it to the Genius Bar, 2 minutes later I was walking out the store with a new referb that was in perfect condition :D

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Congrats, OP!

For the record, these Genius Bar replacements are more accurately called remanufactured, and not refurbished.

Everything that you see and touch is brand new, along with the internal battery. The only difference from a factory new one is that the A5 and all the important bits inside have been "reclaimed" from another iPad that perhaps suffered a cracked screen, or had a non-working home button, etc.

So feel good, there's no shame in using a replacement iDevice from Apple— the replacement iPhone 4 I got from the GB a few months back is better than the brand new one I bought on launch day! :)

rsbell

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Murrieta, CA
Dayum!!

I dropped my iPad 2 (64GB AT&T) onto cement and shattered the screen-I owned it for a total of about 2 weeks, after going through heck to get it when it first came out.

Went to my Apple Store fully expecting to pay for the repair.

I was told that they would charge me for the screen and case replacement, but would, in fact, just give me a new one since there were no repair parts available.

It took a few days for one to come in, but I got a new one for $400 instead of replace the screen and case.

No one offered to just replace it for free, and I certainly didn't expect it.

I'm glad they took care of you!

Firen

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Vienna, Austria
I wish we had actual Apple stores here with customer support that good. If you go to one of these Premium Retail stores they're gonna show u the middle finger and laugh at you -.-

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Wow man, that's awesome! You really lucked up. I remember when I cracked the screen on my iPod mini after only having it for a week and the guy at the genius bar told me I might as well buy a new one because it would cost over $200 to replace the screen. So, the fact that they gave you a brand new device at no cost is astounding.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
My only regret is losing my 327 million points in AoD,

Why would you lose your score? I thought you said you backed up your iPad before you exchanged it. Didn't you get the score back when you restored from backup? :confused:

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
That sure is some excellent customer service!
Making Apple stand out from the rest, once again.

Really shame there are no Apple Stores around here (Norway). :(

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
My story isn't nearly as good, but my old MacBook charger cable was not working any more, and I went by Apple and they gave me a new one. It's the little things that count! Also, I had one MacBook that the motherboard died in (moisture issues - totally my fault), so I bought a new MacBook and in the interim the Genius bar guy transferred everything from my dead MacBook onto a portable HD that I supplied. Totally free.

Really like that system.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Why would you lose your score? I thought you said you backed up your iPad before you exchanged it. Didn't you get the score back when you restored from backup? :confused:

Unfortunately not. After you finish AoD you go into "endless" mode which is endless waves of Deadites, which is where you can rack up the millions. That part has no save feature. :(

It takes me about 2 hours of constant gameplay to rack up 100 million points. Not to mention all the times I keep getting overrun if I'm not paying attention. :rolleyes: Next time I go for the billion I'll need to dedicate the iPad to this for several days, as I can't even multi-task. If I switch to a browser for a little while, when I switch back it restarts the game... :(

cjb287

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
They did the exact same thing for me when I dropped my iphone 4 just 2 weeks after launch day. At first the guy said they'd have to charge me for a replacement (screen and steel band damaged) but then a minute or 2 later he returned and said they'd replace it for me for FREE... the only catch? It was just this once haha. I was so amazingly pleased. Needless to say I've been obsessively careful about my phone since!

chriso89

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
Norway
That sure is some excellent customer service!
Making Apple stand out from the rest, once again.

Really shame there are no Apple Stores around here (Norway). :(

Ja:( føles som at de i usa har bedre vilkår på apple en oss. kjøper vi defekt ipad eller iphone og ser det i butikken må de alikavell inn og swappes...

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
I had the exact same experience at the Apple store in the Stonebrier Mall in Frisco,Tx. I had dropped my 64g Verizon iPad onto the concrete and shattered the screen. I called Apple and they gave me the spill about replacing it for half the original price. That was good with me I mean 400 compared to 800 is a no brainer. They asked me if I wanted to mail it in or take it to an apple store and I opted for going to the apple store. While there a Genius named Mike asked me what happened and I told him straight up I was clumsy and dropped it. He told me he appreciated my honesty and said he would replace it for free. He almost got kissed by a man. :D I was elated. I repeatedly thanked him and then went in my way. I have always had great customer service but that took the cake.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Great story. They have been a little better with replacements as of recent it seems. They are making a strong push for faithful customers.

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
I think that is just wonderful news, OP. Very pleased for you!

I wish with all my heart that I had an Apple Store closer than 200 miles away because dealing with Apple Care over the phone has been a nightmare which I now share with all of you. Please be patient reading.

My iPad2 developed an overheating problem along the magnet side. It was very warm while using it, but when I had to put it on the wall charger while still using it, the heat became almost too hot to touch.

I called Apple Care. I told them the nearest Apple Store is 200 miles away from me so that is not an option. They said it sounded like a bad battery issue, or perhaps heat sensors and that it should be looked at asap. They sent me a box overnight and I sent it back the same day overnight. I wrote a lengthy note explaining the symptoms and the time frames in which they developed.

Apple received the package this Wednesday. Within 3 hours of receipt, they were "unable to duplicate issue", packed it up, printed a FedEx label, sent me an email, and shipped it back to me.

Fast forward to Friday:

First problem: FedEx tracking never updated so I call them. They have no record of ever receiving the package for shipment. I contact Apple via chat. They have no clue where the package is, but will escalate the problem for research and I will hear from Customer Relations in a couple hours. No call, no email. So, this time I call.

Second problem: I am told that nobody knows where the package is. Further, I am told that Apple made a huge error at the repair facility. My iPad should have been sent to SAFETY repair because of the overheating problems, my note should have been read, neither of those things were done. Hence, no repairs were done.

Third problem: I am told that when/if I receive my iPad back, I must then call Apple Care again and ask for a Senior Adviser, who will make arrangements to have my ipad shipped back to Safety Repair for evaluation. Which means yet another week or more without my less than 6 weeks old iPad 2

Fourth problem: I am told that if I would just take it into an Apple Store where I can show them the problem, they would give me a new Ipad on the spot. But, with having to send it in, if they can't reproduce the problem to repair it, I am screwed. That is pretty much what the "adviser" told me.

My husband is disabled, I am his 24/7 caregiver and I cannot travel 200 miles to an Apple Store :(

I have tried to be patient and reasonable, not losing my temper. But, this predicament has become very frustrating and I just needed to vent. Thanks for taking the time to read.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I wish we had actual Apple stores here with customer support that good. If you go to one of these Premium Retail stores they're gonna show u the middle finger and laugh at you -.-

Agreed. At any NYC area Apple Store, they never replace anything that they don't have to.

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
there should not need to be a congratulations for someone in this situation. it should not be a jackpot that someone wins. customer service should be at this level as much as possible.

Absolutely, I agree. I extended my congratulations because OP was successful in obtaining a positive result.

Unfortunately, I have not. My iPad has still not been found by either FedEx or Apple :(

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
I had a similar experience with an iPad 2 that was screen-damaged during an aftershock. Even though it was being used overseas and they weren't being sold there yet, Apple told me to come on in once it was back home and they would replace it for no charge.

I do notice that a lot of these "free replacements" usually accompany the "I dun goofed and dropped it" stories - that is honesty gets the best results.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great!

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I purchased one of the new 2010 MacBook Airs, took it home for about 3 days and noticed that the space bar on the keyboard was squeaky. This is the 2.13GHz 256GB SSD model, the top of the line....whenever I would type something on the keyboard, the space bar would make a loud squeaky/creaky noise. I took it into the Apple Store (5 minutes from where I live), expecting to ask them if I could get the keyboard replaced. Without any further questions, they said "one sec..." went to the back and came out with a NEW one sealed in the box, and said "no problem" -- I went home with a whole new machine and the keyboard is perfect. Apple is way above others when it comes to replacing faulty machines, and will often give you a brand new one if it is justified.

BTW, this is post #1500 for me -- I am moving up the ranks!

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Wow. My experience was opposite.I had to talk to 4 different people just to get my leather smart cover replaced. After 2 months, it was literally coming apart. Either bad glue, bad construction. And Genius couldn't find better thing to say than "sir, buttons on the shirt also come off after some time"

What kind of answer was that? So, throw out a shirt? Should I glue warranted product back together?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.