Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dh1210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
My new apple tv keeps telling me i have an update so i go to update it and when i do it tells me the update is unsuccessful. Does anyone know why that is? Is anyone else having this problem? Is there anything i can do to fix this?

Payton3485

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
I have the same issue. I have two ATV2s and the one I just bought yesterday will not update from version 4.2(2060) to 4.2.2 The good thing is the version on it now does have all the latest features including AirPlay. Apparently there is an issue with Apple's server. There are a few other posts on the board about it. Hopefully, the server will be corrected soon!!!

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
As for now to update it, find the .Ipsw on the net and install it threw iTunes

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

skullnbones

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
As for now to update it, find the .Ipsw on the net and install it threw iTunes

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Please excuse my naïveté, but I only bought my first ATV the other week. I am having the same issues updating from the ATV connected to the television. May I therefor ask where to find the latest .ipsw on the net and how do I update it through iTunes? Can I not connect a USB and press an update button in iTunes, or is it more complicated than that?

Tanks in advance for any more basic instructions than the above.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Please excuse my naïveté, but I only bought my first ATV the other week. I am having the same issues updating from the ATV connected to the television. May I therefor ask where to find the latest .ipsw on the net and how do I update it through iTunes? Can I not connect a USB and press an update button in iTunes, or is it more complicated than that?

Tanks in advance for any more basic instructions than the above.

It's actually much easier than that.

Turn on your Apple TV2, go to the "settings" menu, then down to "general", then click on "update software".

Let us know if that doesn't work, and specifically what error message you receive.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
It's actually much easier than that.

Turn on your Apple TV2, go to the "settings" menu, then down to "general", then click on "update software".

Let us know if that doesn't work, and specifically what error message you receive.

I tried it like this yesterday and it wouldn't work. Just kept getting a message about the file download being corrupted. I ended up finding the IPSW on a web site, putting it in the "Apple TV Software Updates" folder and then it did its thing correctly.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I tried it like this yesterday and it wouldn't work. Just kept getting a message about the file download being corrupted. I ended up finding the IPSW on a web site, putting it in the "Apple TV Software Updates" folder and then it did its thing correctly.

Glad it worked out.

gj02

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
Update is working now
I'm now seeing a step 1 of 2 update
Something I've not seen before

Yeah update via the box has worked

Payton3485

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
I was able to run the update install this morning without any issues. It looks like Apple has fixed the issue :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.