Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I just got an iPhone 4 and notIced my battery lIfe goes down upon using most of the features.

Waking up by 9am and at 90%, by 2pm I'll be anywhere between 30%-50% battery life, depending if I'd be watching YouTube videos, tethering to my iPad,etc etc. You know the story....

My question here is if you indeed connect your iPhone any chance you get to be at the highest battery life percentage you can be at.

I have a few wall charges at home; one in the kitchen, another at my desk, another by the couch and one more in my bedroom. Also, an FM transmitter in my car that doubles as a car charger.

Needless to say, like many of you, if I wanted I could have my iPhone connected at most times. I know keeping any device plugged at all times is unhealthy to the battery in question in the long run.

But figured I'd ask the iPhone community seeing as I'm sure I'm not the first person having thought about this n

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I usually wake up at 6 am for school and unplug my iPhone to leave for school at around 6:30 am. By 2 pm the battery is at around 80%-85% battery left and I usually plug my iPhone back on the charger at 10 pm with 30%-40% battery left. I love this battery life. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

GP_1

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I just plug it in overnight, when I wake up the next morning and head out the door I grab it & it lasts me the entire day.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I unplug my phone at 6:30AM when I leave in the morning.

Generally, I charge my phone in the evening when I get home if the battery is 30-40%. Or I plug it in early morning when I get up (around 5AM).

If the battery is fully charged in the evening, then I don't plug it in for the night.

If it has decent amount of charge, it still goes on my beside for the night, but then charges when I wake up at 5AMish.

If its dying by the time I go to sleep, then I plug it in.

That's kinda confusing, but what generally happens. I don't really think about it. It's just what normally happens.

Basically, I just charge it when it gets low, around 30%. I normally get 1.5 days usage before I hit 30%. Right now, I have used my phone for 5 hours, 13 minutes and it's been on standby for 16 hours and 17 minutes. I have 82% left. As you can probably tell, I don't use my phone as much as some of you guys do.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Since you mentioned you just got the iPhone, I feel I can share something from my experience.

I don't know if it was the "new toy effect" or the new battery but when I first got the phone--say for the first 2 weeks or so...the battery life was not so awesome. I would unplug it in the morning and by like 2-3pm it was at 20%.

But now--with what I feel is the same usage, even when I plug in at 10-11pm I am usually at well above 20%.

It seemed as if the battery had to break in. Either that, or I was playing with it too much ;)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I charge mine overnight unless there is 70%+ charge. The only other time I charge it is if I'm driving my car. Then I plug it into my car dock for tunes which also charges it.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
For me it depends on the day. I can use my iPhone on one charge over 2 days with regular use. For extensive use I can get a day or a bit more. I usually charge when I eat dinner just so I can get a full charge.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I charge it when going to bed. If I’m going to be at work, which means I’ll be using 3G a lot while commuting, I charge the phone there, so I don’t have to worry about the ride home.

I know keeping any device plugged at all times is unhealthy to the battery in question in the long run.

The main thing is to keep the ions flowing in the battery. So, the only thing you don’t want to do is always have it charging. Frequent charging is fine.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I charge it every night if it is under 20%. For some reason, mine will last longer if I drain the battery until it dies. When I used to charge it with 25-30% left, it won't last as long for me. My first 1% drain is at 10-15 min instead of the usual 28-30 min. By the first hour of usage, it would be at 90% or under instead of 94-95%. And each 1% drain is at 4 min instead of 5-6 min. If it is over 50%, I won't charge it. Just depends on what I will be doing the next day. But I much prefer draining it under 20% before I plug it to charge overnight. And I do not use it anymore while it charges. I once got 3 hour usage on Wi-Fi because I was guilty of using my phone charging from 0% to 100%. Also, turn-off the battery % switch if you get too OCD. Yesterday, my first 10% drained faster but my last 10% drained slower. As long as you are getting close to your typical usage by the time the warning comes, then you should be good. Watching the batt % like a hawk won't make it easier for you because the period it drains is never consistent. One day, my phone was stuck at 90% for 50 minutes after draining the first 9% in 40 minutes.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
It's better to keep it charged up.

The battery has limited charging cycles, so if you top it up it will last longer.

Apple also recommends draining it once a month. I do that as well.

anschnaller

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
seeing that it is best to keep lithium batteries at 80% or better i always have mine charged and it does not hurt it lithium does not memory. i am abit OCD when it comes to batteries i keep to spare portable lithium batteries in my laptop bag just incase.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca

The battery has limited charging cycles, so if you top it up it will last longer.

Having just got the iPhone a few days ago I think I should let it die completely tomletthe battery calibrate for the first time I guess I'll be doing this today.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
If I'm at home I of course charge it any time it's under 100%

If I take it out with me I don't charge it at all while I'm out.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

Topping it off all the time is bad for the battery, which is why apple tells you to occasionally drain it completely (otherwise people might not do this).

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
iPhone batteries are not affected by short-charging so I usually charge throughout the day, or while it's connected to my car stereo it charges automatically. I do a full cycle charge at least once a month. I've been doing all full cycle charges lately cuz I was having some battery issues but I think I got it straightened out.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I charge my phone every night, but I'll charge it during the day if it drops below 10%

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
Plugged in whenever possible.

My iPhone 4 white battery tend to drop quite rapidly as well, so it is connected to a charger whenever possible. I've got two chargers at home, one in the bedroom and the other in the living room and also one in my car. It's better to have the battery level at the max. level IMO because you never know when you actually NEED to use the phone.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon

Yeah, as the battery isn't one of the ones that is harmed by frequent recharging
Topping it off all the time is bad for the battery, which is why apple tells you to occasionally drain it completely (otherwise people might not do this).

I seem to recall hearing the main reason is it helps make sure the software that gauges charge is calibrated right (with drain being letting the icon go red at least.)

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I always plug my phone in at night and grab it in the morning. When I plug it in, it is between 92% (light/no use day) and 45% (heavy use day). Lately, I have been using it as a GPS/POV camera for my bike rides (got a handlebar mount for it), which uses a ****load of battery. 45min of recording uses about 60% of the battery (leaving me with 40%). 2hrs of GPS usage usually uses about 60-75% of the battery (leaving me with 25-40% of the battery). On days that I heavily use it on bike rides, I will plug it in immediately when I get home and let it charge to at least 75%, and then use it to text people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.