Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Hello all,
Today I received an apple think different poster. It says:
:apple:
Think Different

It has a muppet and Jim Hanson on it. Could anyone tell me anything about it. The only thing I know about it is that it was given durring an apple promotion.
imgres

It looks like this. It has the black apple, not the rainbow one which most have. Thanks

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
It is for sure real, I can confirm that. It is about 40 cm by 20 cm... I will measure exact later.

Last edited:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The 11" x 17" posters were produced as a set of 10 (The Educator Set) with various people featured on each one (Einstein, Ghandi, Amelia Earhart, etc) and they were distributed to educators in schools in a set of 30 in a box (3 of each poster). They are worth anywhere from $17 - $30 a poster now. The larger ones (24" x 36") are worth anywhere from $50 - $600 depending on which poster (Original Einstein and Richard Feynman posters usually fetch top dollar).

Hope this helps.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
The 11" x 17" posters were produced as a set of 10 (The Educator Set) with various people featured on each one (Einstein, Ghandi, Amelia Earhart, etc) and they were distributed to educators in schools in a set of 30 in a box (3 of each poster). They are worth anywhere from $17 - $30 a poster now. The larger ones (24" x 36") are worth anywhere from $50 - $600 depending on which poster (Original Einstein and Richard Feynman posters usually fetch top dollar).

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
I am hoping I can snap up the Einstein and the earheart (the person who gave them to me had a lot, my school has a LOT of macs and I mean A LOT!) My school has about 30 imac g3, 12 imac g4, countless emacs, a over 70 macbooks. (I realize only that the older ones got posters but....) The poster is in perfect condition as when i was given the poster the person giving it to me was opening the box for the first time. I am amusing we got a lot of boxes.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
There is a guy on eBay who is selling a Francis Ford Copolla and a Charlie Chaplin poster for $999 each. He's also got a Flick the Ant poster, which he is selling for $1499. Apparently these are rare and one-of-a-kind posters that were never released to the public for mass production. They are the 24"x36" size and in mint condition.

I am really hoping to find an original Einstein 24x36" poster one of these days for under $500, maybe an original Buzz Aldrin too. There are plenty of fakes floating around.

Of the 24x36" posters, here are the ones I have:

Richard Feynman
Ghandi
Amelia Earhart
Joan Baez
Thomas Edison
Pablo Picasso
Alfred Hitchcock
Ansel Adams
Buzz Aldrin (not original, I think)
Rosa Parks

I do not have:

Lucy & Desi
Miles Davis
Bob Dylan
Henson & Kermit
Dalai Lama
Maria Callas
Cesar Chavez (I sold mine)
Frank Sinatra (I sold mine)

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
There is a guy on eBay who is selling a Francis Ford Copolla and a Charlie Chaplin poster for $999 each. He's also got a Flick the Ant poster, which he is selling for $1499. Apparently these are rare and one-of-a-kind posters that were never released to the public for mass production. They are the 24"x36" size and in mint condition.

I am really hoping to find an original Einstein 24x36" poster one of these days for under $500, maybe an original Buzz Aldrin too. There are plenty of fakes floating around.

Richard Feynman
Ghandi
Amelia Earhart
Joan Baez
Thomas Edison
Pablo Picasso
Alfred Hitchcock
Ansel Adams
Rosa Parks

I do not have:

Lucy & Desi
Miles Davis
Bob Dylan
Henson & Kermit
Dalai Lama
Maria Callas

Nice collection!
I have the set of 10 smaller ones. The IT guy at my school gave them to me in thanks of me helping tidy up the computer lab at school before the summer.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Nice collection!
I have the set of 10 smaller ones. The IT guy at my school gave them to me in thanks of me helping tidy up the computer lab at school before the summer.

That's very nice. Are you going to frame any of them and put them up?

And WardC, that is an awesome collection.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC

I'd love to pick up a couple of posters, but how do you spot the fakes? I guess it doesn't *really* matter to me whether it's real, but I'm curious how the fakes are different.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
On the genuine Einstein 24x36" poster, you can see the knitting stitches in the sweater, on the fakes it is very dark and pretty much black where Einstein's sweater is...also the Buzz Aldrin *real* posters are more of a close-up shot of Buzz, while the fakes are more of a "distant" photo, but they look better. There are also fake Feynman posters that have a grainy digitized look to the photo, there are fake Picassos I have seen, fake Hensons, fake Maria Callas, and several other fake 24x36" ones, many of them are being sold from eBay sellers in Germany.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011

Richard Feynman
Ghandi
Amelia Earhart
Joan Baez
Thomas Edison
Pablo Picasso
Alfred Hitchcock
Ansel Adams
Rosa Parks

I do not have:

Lucy & Desi
Miles Davis
Bob Dylan
Henson & Kermit
Dalai Lama
Maria Callas

There were 29 different 24x36 posters made for reference including the various super rarities such as Flik(love mine/will never part with). The Dalai Lama also falls into that category. For the Dalai, I highly recommend contacting 'the guy on ebay' (his name is Geoff) and grabbing his before its gone.

I've still got quite a few 24x36 extras around that I've been meaning to go through and part with. Common ones like Davis, Lucy&Desi, Chavez, Henson, etc. should be among them. Ted Turner and Martha Graham are additional common 24x36 but weren't on your list and I know I've got too many of. I may have one extra Einstein but I know I have no extra 24x36(only ever managed to get 2). Interestingly, I've got Aldrin in 5 different officially produced sizes.

Maybe I'll throw up an ad listing with some extra 24x36 posters here and see if any interest before having to resort to ebay.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011

Unfortunately, the person who wrote that guide is relatively clueless and has very little knowledge of any of the real posters Apple produced. It appears they came late to the game and have zero knowledge of the history of the posters. Its pretty bad making a blanket statement of 'only these 2 sizes' exist when its patently false. I wrote up my own TD poster guide that has more information and should be viewable soon.

In fact, the first posters done were 18x24 and, by FAR the best, the 48x72 posters. The 'guy on ebay' sold his set of 6 48x72 posters earlier last year and had several bids up to almost $3k for them. Whoever got them made a great buy, they are staggering to behold! Too bad must got destroyed :(

Can't see the original picture posted but looks like his question was mostly answered. I've got an educator box myself with sealed sets. Not a big fan of them as they're too small at 11x17 and more like an oversized paper than a poster. 24x36 are far better. Would add that each set came sealed in clear plastic and the outer box cover has a reprint of the original 'Crazy Ones' TD poster. I think the TD Book, at 11x14, is far more collectible and with a better portfolio of images.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
On the genuine Einstein 24x36" poster, you can see the knitting stitches in the sweater, on the fakes it is very dark and pretty much black where Einstein's sweater is...also the Buzz Aldrin *real* posters are more of a close-up shot of Buzz, while the fakes are more of a "distant" photo, but they look better. There are also fake Feynman posters that have a grainy digitized look to the photo, there are fake Picassos I have seen, fake Hensons, fake Maria Callas, and several other fake 24x36" ones, many of them are being sold from eBay sellers in Germany.

I've only handled the real Aldrins but am curious by your description of close-up and far shot. The real Buzz Aldrin posters I would consider as a distant photo as you see the full body. An easy way to validate the authenticity of one would be looking at the printed copyright information(font/size/etc) and its location. There's no chance a fake got that right as well. It should also bear the 6-color Apple logo

Here's an example of a real Buzz Aldrin poster. This is sized 48x72(bus shelter) and shows the photo that Apple licensed. The same photo is used for the 24x36 sized poster. The printed copyright is the same on the smaller size although the location differs. I could authenticate yours against my known genuine ones if you wanted to provide photos.

1.jpg

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
See, that is the original. It is more of the poster with Buzz taking up most of the poster. The ones that are coming out of Germany (the 24x36" size) being sold on eBay is the one I have, which is more of a distant shot showing the moondust in the foreground, it is not as much of a close-up as your poster. But it is the 24"x36" size and look VERY VERY good and VERY authentic, although I know it is probably a reprint. He has also been selling numerous 24x36" Einstein posters along with other ones in the series. His Einstein posters are a poor reproduction, because as you know, in the originals you can see the stitches in Einstein's sweater...but in the fakes, the print is so contrasted and dark that the sweater just shows up as solid black. I will show you:

Authentic Einstein poster image:

einsteinalbert.jpg

Fake Einstein poster on eBay (notice the darker image):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Think-Different...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a67d0defb#ht_500wt_1156

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
See, that is the original. It is more of the poster with Buzz taking up most of the poster. The ones that are coming out of Germany (the 24x36" size) being sold on eBay is the one I have, which is more of a distant shot showing the moondust in the foreground, it is not as much of a close-up as your poster. But it is the 24"x36" size and look VERY VERY good and VERY authentic, although I know it is probably a reprint. He has also been selling numerous 24x36" Einstein posters along with other ones in the series. His Einstein posters are a poor reproduction, because as you know, in the originals you can see the stitches in Einstein's sweater...but in the fakes, the print is so contrasted and dark that the sweater just shows up as solid black. I will show you:

Authentic Einstein poster image:

Fake Einstein poster on eBay (notice the darker image):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Think-Different...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a67d0defb#ht_500wt_1156

Looks like your Einstein image is slightly off compared to the true poster as some of the top portion was not included. Looking at that ebay seller's auctions, they're both clearly fake. Even just seeing the material and lacking the correct glossy look shows its worn. His fake Einstein also has the incorrect positioning on the copyright notice. Surprised no negative feedback against him considering all of his are fake.

Probably helps most people don't have their hands on a genuine one to make better copies. Real 'Apple Germany' made posters were never 24x36 so huge red flag for any rare 24x36 ones that originate from there.

CiderFan

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
Looking for Posters

There were 29 different 24x36 posters made for reference including the various super rarities such as Flik(love mine/will never part with). The Dalai Lama also falls into that category. For the Dalai, I highly recommend contacting 'the guy on ebay' (his name is Geoff) and grabbing his before its gone.

I've still got quite a few 24x36 extras around that I've been meaning to go through and part with. Common ones like Davis, Lucy&Desi, Chavez, Henson, etc. should be among them. Ted Turner and Martha Graham are additional common 24x36 but weren't on your list and I know I've got too many of. I may have one extra Einstein but I know I have no extra 24x36(only ever managed to get 2). Interestingly, I've got Aldrin in 5 different officially produced sizes.

Maybe I'll throw up an ad listing with some extra 24x36 posters here and see if any interest before having to resort to ebay.

Hi Tiggs,

If you manage to dig up any posters please can you let me know what you would like for them, I currently have the underlined ones below however I am looking for all the ones which have not been underlined. I am only looking for orginals so if anyone wants to part with any please let me know

Current 24x36 Posters in my Collection
Pablo Picasso - Side Facing
Mahatma Gandhi
Thomas Edison
Amelia Earhart
Alfred Hitchcock
Joan Baez
Maria Callas
Martha Graham
Ted Turner
Luci&Desi
Jim Henson
Ansel Adams
Miles Davis
Bob Dylan
Richard Feynmann
Jackie Robinson
Frank Sinatra
Cesar Chavez

Still Need to Collect
Nelson Mandela
Dalai Lama
Muhammed Ali
John Lenon & Yoko Ono
Jimi Hendrix
Flik (A Bugs Life)
John Huston
Frank Capra
Orson Welles
Francis Ford Coppola
Charlie Chaplin
Rosa Parks
Bill Bernbach
Eleanor Roosevelt
Jane Goodall
Pablo Picasso - Facing Forward
Paul Rand
Richard B Fuller
Richard Branson

I appreciate any feedback or assistance in locating these posters.

I am trying to put the full set togeather for a gallery showing.

Thanking you

GenesisJLS

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
reprints

That guy is selling reprints and receiving upwards $100. Man, ebay is a spawning pool of deception.

RichardOwens

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
That's quite a difference, and if you know what a real one looks like, that fake one stands out like a sore thumb.

Exactly and who does ?

Apple will not comment on this in any way.

Electronic Gossip is not fact. Repeating Electronic Gossip several times does not make it fact, just well worn chimera.

Wisconsin21 of eBay appears to be the authority on this, sounding all the world like the final point of fact, when clearly there is no-one who knows everything about the posters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.