Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

product26

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I Plasti Dipped the bottom of my 13" MBP today. Makes it grippy and protected from scratches. If you aren't familiar with Plasti Dip it is removable, it just peels off.

I only just applied the coating, so durability and functionality have yet to be tested. But I can already tell that it is going to remedy the bottom being so slippery.

The look reminds me of the first aluminum iMacs.

Attachments

• DSC_8366.jpg
    DSC_8366.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 2,271
  • DSC_8367.jpg
    DSC_8367.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,852
  • DSC_8371.jpg
    DSC_8371.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 2,047
  • DSC_8373.jpg
    DSC_8373.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 5,417
Last edited:

product26

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2005
The plastidip was a spray can purchased from home depot.

Best shouldn't be an issue. No more than with a hard shell case.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Whoa, how'd you get it so smooth and even with a spray can? Never seen this type of product. Could one just apply this to the bottom and top and forego the hardcase?

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Whoa, how'd you get it so smooth and even with a spray can? Never seen this type of product. Could one just apply this to the bottom and top and forego the hardcase?

Same as with all spray cans - easy, even spraying with constant movement.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
I like the look, but it says that on porous metals it isn't removable. Are you sure it will come off of the textured metal of the MBP?

product26

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I like the look, but it says that on porous metals it isn't removable. Are you sure it will come off of the textured metal of the MBP?

Peels right off. As I feared, the plastic feet quickly rubbed through and the whole coating started peeling with it. I think the only way to make this work for a decent amount of time would be to mask off the feet so they don't peel right away.

Makes me want to pick up a used/scratched bottom plate and use some truck bed liner or something durable and permanent.

attachment.php

Attachments

• peel.jpg
    peel.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 9,104
Last edited:

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Peels right off. As I feared, the plastic feet quickly rubbed through and the whole coating started peeling with it. I think the only way to make this work for a decent amount of time would be to mask off the feet so they don't peel right away.

that's a shame, you did a really nice job on it.

PM Harold Saxon

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Perth, West Australia
When my MacBook Pro with Retina Display comes in, I am totally "plastidipping" it.

I would recommend putting some musking tape over the rubber feet to protect it from the spray and then remove the tape when done. I personally will leave the rubber feet alone and only spray the aluminium/aluminum.

It might look amazing on the top part too (of course apply musking tape to the Apple Logo during the process).

Mabyboi

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
Ontario, Canada

Makes me want to pick up a used/scratched bottom plate and use some truck bed liner or something durable and permanent.

Sweet powermac In the back! :D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

I imagine you could respray it, and then use an Xacto knife and cut out the feet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.