Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaze46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Hi, recently updated to os x 10.6.8 and my MBP is REALLY slow, it used to load really fast from the log in screen and now it takes ages and apps bounce a lot and beachball when loading, is this happening to a lot of people? because I didn't have any problem with previous upgrades

labaom

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2009
Hi, recently updated to os x 10.6.8 and my MBP is REALLY slow, it used to load really fast from the log in screen and now it takes ages and apps bounce a lot and beachball when loading, is this happening to a lot of people? because I didn't have any problem with previous upgrades

As with all updates, when you get to your desktop the first time it starts out slow. It will slowly get faster. But your problem seems really bad lol. Mine was just bad for the first minute.

Kaze46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2011
ok thanks, if it continues tomorrow i'll time machine the heck out of it :p

j0ebeer

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
Mine MBP is also acting slow as well but I am not sure what the cause is. It seems to have started in the last week or so but I'm wondering if it's cause of the OS update to deal with that Mac malware defender.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I too have experienced a lot of generalized slowness since installing the update despite restarting....

ajcrow93

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
Are any of you guys running parallels 6? Apparently there's some issue with it and 10.6.8 thats eating up all the cpu.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Personally I have nothing running aside from mail and chrome.

Edit: I ran disk permissions and there were a lot of problems with airport utility. After fixing, I think its the same but now much harder to tell. Does anyone else who has problems also have problems with airport utility?

Last edited:

nsmadsen

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
Denver, CO
I just updated my Mac Pro last night and it is also running slower than before. I'm not running Parallels or Bootcamp. Frustrating. And as a desktop owner, OSX Lion doesn't really appeal to me very much. I use a mouse and a keyboard so add all of the swipes and taps you want... it doesn't really impact or change my workflow.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Have you guys done the usual maintenance procedures? clear out caches, repair permissions etc

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
10.6.8 has bricked my Mac Pro. I have repaired disk permissions, verified the disk, and reinstalled OS X from DVD, then installed the combo update. About the only thing I haven't done is clean off the disk and perform a bare metal install, but frankly a dot release isn't worth that sort of hassle. So for the moment I have reverted to 10.6.7 and I'll wait for either some sort of mea culpa from Apple, or Lion, whichever comes first.

FWIW, 10.6.8 installed without issue on my MacBook Pro, and it's running pretty much the same collection of software as the Mac Pro.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I installed the update on my new iMac, and Safari is now taking a long time to load pages. Also, youtube videos have become choppy.

niksimpsons

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
10.6.8 has bricked my Mac Pro. I have repaired disk permissions, verified the disk, and reinstalled OS X from DVD, then installed the combo update. About the only thing I haven't done is clean off the disk and perform a bare metal install, but frankly a dot release isn't worth that sort of hassle. So for the moment I have reverted to 10.6.7 and I'll wait for either some sort of mea culpa from Apple, or Lion, whichever comes first.

FWIW, 10.6.8 installed without issue on my MacBook Pro, and it's running pretty much the same collection of software as the Mac Pro.

I am also running with same problem. I have also clean my mac in addition to the disk verification, file permissions check I used disk utility for the same but still problem remain same. Now I am thinking of third party tools may be they can solve some issue. I am going to try today and I will update you soon please keep updating...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I just installed 10.6.8 on my MBP and after running XBench (to see the supposed increase in OpenGL rendering, which turned out to still be slower than my 10.6.3 test) I noticed that the hard drive speed had dropped a LOT since my last test.

I installed a Hitachi 7200 RPM 500GB drive when I got Logic Pro and my 10.6.5 test shows 108MB/sec reads and 98MB/sec writes after the installation of that drive on XBench. Now with 10.6.8, I'm getting ~80Mb/sec reads and 72MB/sec writes! That is one HECK of a lot SLOWER hard drive performance. Whatever Apple did, they managed to make the final version of Snow Leopard slower (perhaps so Lion will seem faster than it really is?)

I went back and compared my 10.5 (Leopard) tests to Snow Leopard (several versions) and OpenGL was a LOT faster in Leopard than ANY version of Snow Leopard on my MBP. The latest version of Snow Leopard DID speed up the 2D graphics a good deal, though. They are now a big faster than Leopard. But thread tests are slower in Snow Leopard than Leopard (initial versions of Snow Leopard were a *LOT* slower in that test than Leopard; the latest Snow Leopard is close, but Leopard is still faster. And that's odd because Snow Leopard has "Grand Central" and so one might think its threading would be a lot faster, not slower.) Some other areas do seem faster in Snow Leopard (CPU tests, for example), but they do not make up for the huge drop in hard drive speeds that happened somewhere between 10.6.5 and 10.6.8 (not sure which version exactly since I didn't test 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 with Xbench).

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Curious as to why you're taking Xbench (a 5yr old piece of software) results at face value.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Curious as to why you're taking Xbench (a 5yr old piece of software) results at face value.

For one, it lets me compare earlier values from both a couple of years ago one the one and against my PowerMac from even earlier (tests are tests; I'm looking at comparative speeds, not absolute values. The hard drive runs slower under 10.6.8 than 10.6.5 here even if the exact value might be off a bit). What does its age got to do with the validity of the tests included? Finally, what other software out there has comparable tests that I might try?

niksimpsons

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
For one, it lets me compare earlier values from both a couple of years ago one the one and against my PowerMac from even earlier (tests are tests; I'm looking at comparative speeds, not absolute values. The hard drive runs slower under 10.6.8 than 10.6.5 here even if the exact value might be off a bit). What does its age got to do with the validity of the tests included? Finally, what other software out there has comparable tests that I might try?

To compare the performance you can use Mac drive performance utility of Stellar drive toolbox. This utility analyzes the drive performance, calculate transfer speed while read/write process and also you can compare the performance with benchmark of same system or with the performance of other Mac.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I'm having the same problems since the update. My imac has become very slow and opening applications takes a long time. I am repairing disk permissions now and hopefully that will resolve the issues!

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
To compare the performance you can use Mac drive performance utility of Stellar drive toolbox. This utility analyzes the drive performance, calculate transfer speed while read/write process and also you can compare the performance with benchmark of same system or with the performance of other Mac.

And you think I should pay $99 for something that is FREE in Xbench (old though it may be?) Sorry, but I don't need to know my drive speed THAT bad, regardless. :rolleyes:

I recommend Onyx.. its free and does all the maintenance procedures...

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

I'll give this one a try. Thanks. :)

niksimpsons

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
And you think I should pay $99 for something that is FREE in Xbench (old though it may be?) Sorry, but I don't need to know my drive speed THAT bad, regardless. :rolleyes:

Yes very true dude no one is going to pay for anything and surely not for that which is freely available on the web. But why I suggested you drivetoolbox because I tried many of the software utility present on the web some days ago even I purchased full version of some of them. On an average I have spent $120 before I found drivetoolbox. But after I found it I feel its worth to pay $99 because Its actually not only utility to check performance its utility package of 12 different utilities of Mac optimization such as speedup Mac (that can clean your Mac from all unwanted & large files and much more), Volume Repair (that can verify, repair and rebuilt volumes), surface scan (that will let you know about bad blocks if any) and much more utilities that can provide you backup solutions. Dude!! I have spent time and money both in searching and buying 3-4 different utilities for my Mac optimization and that why I suggested you to go for simple solution..;)

Last edited:

KBPro

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
I'm having the same issue. Tried all of the above suggestions, sans time machine, as I don't have it running(obviously, I regret that now). The slowness does not go away after basic maintenance suggested in this thread. I defiantly know it is related to this last update. I use my Mac Pro for mostly Audio/Video Production and the slow down is immense when attempting to navigate directories with large files(500mb+). I have not see a slow down like this before on this machine(intel QuadCore 10gb RAM). I am mainly posting to subscribe to this thread and to try out suggestions, as I have no way to roll back this without re-installing all of my applications(which are many). If there is any other information around please post, I will try to do the same.

Thanks,
k

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
The skeptic in me almost wonders if Apple would purposely slow the last update to Snow Leopard down so we'd get a bunch of reports about how much faster Lion is. :(

All I know is that losing 20MB/sec on my hard drive rate is half the difference of the improvement from going from the 5200 RPM stock drive to the 7200 RPM one. I haven't run Logic recently, but a slower hard drive will affect the number of tracks that are usable at once for a given project.

johnnyheavens

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
Any new news on this general slowness issue? I have a couple systems that are terrible slow after updating them to 10.6.8 this past weekend. An iMac and a mbp with ssd that are both all but useless now. The Mac pro, mb air and iMac that are not upgraded yet from 10.6.7 are running just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.