Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Many customers have been waiting for Apple to begin shipping its long-rumored updated MacBook Airs, bringing a significant performance improvement to the line with the incorporation of Intel's Sandy Bridge platform. A number of reports had pegged the release for the June-July timeframe, but the June dates are essentially out of the picture now and Apple has been said to be holding the release until it can offer OS X Lion preinstalled on the new machines.

macbook_air_2010_profile.jpg

Chatter is now beginning to coalesce around a mid-July launch, and we've been hearing that Apple may be planning a MacBook Air launch for the third week of the month. AppleNApps seems to agree, with several sources there reporting that Apple plans to release the new MacBook Airs alongside OS X Lion on Tuesday, July 19th.
Sources have indicated to AppleNApps that Apple has an internal launch date of July 19th for Mac OS X Lion and a refresh of the MacBook Airs. This is the target date under which the company is currently operating, though both sources are indicating that things can change. Our sources have just seen indications, and can't be entirely certain, but if everything goes according to plan there will be a new MacBook Air shipping with Lion starting July 19th.
That would coincide with Apple's earnings announcement for the quarter just ending, providing the company with enticing discussion fodder for the conference call.

9 to 5 Mac also reports that it has been hearing Thursday, July 14th in the "rumblings" regarding a launch for Lion and new MacBook Airs, adding to the increasing consensus of a release right around the middle of the month.

Article Link: MacBook Air Update Coming in Mid-July?

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
It's About Time...

...for no other reason than I am excited. So late in July is contradictory to so many of the previous rumors floating around, which have done nothing if not whet our appetites. Bring on Sandy Bridge!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
That's nice, but they need to launch minis, MacPros, MacBooks, AppleTV... etc. Obviously the iPhone and iPods are coming in August-October's window. Nearly the entire Apple line needs update.

Coen0s

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I NEED AIR NOW!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Apple announced their conference call...there will be no new products until after the call.

Expect the Air at the earliest Wed the 20th.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Good for you. Apple works on their schedule, not yours. They will do whatever they damned well pleases them.

If you want to change that, please contact Apple's board of directors and have them appoint you as Apple CEO.

You mad?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Good for you. Apple works on their schedule, not yours. They will do whatever they damned well pleases them.

If you want to change that, please contact Apple's board of directors and have them appoint you as Apple CEO.

Well, someone's day is crappy.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

cvaldes said:
I NEED AIR NOW!

Looks like there's a new sheriff in town and he means to clean up this here forum.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Hopefully these new MacBook Airs will come with the same USB thumb drive containing OS X as the October 2010 models, but in this case containing 10.7.0.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
That's nice, but they need to launch minis, MacPros, MacBooks, AppleTV... etc. Obviously the iPhone and iPods are coming in August-October's window. Nearly the entire Apple line needs update.

Apple's mac line now seems to be focusing almost entirely on airs and iMacs. You can judge the importance Apple places on each of their models by looking at the apple.com/mac page

Air and iMac are front and center, followed by the macbook pro and mac mini. And left to languish are the macbook(which may get the axe as the price is the same as an entry level air) and the mac pro.....

Even Apple's promotional pictures for Lion predominately feature the iMac and macbook air.

Apple's priorities seem to be: iPhone, iPad, iPod touches, macs(mostly macbook air and imac), Apple TV and then finally the non-ios ipod line. As you go on down the line, the update frequency decreases.

Stok3

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
wouldn't it make sense to launch lion and MBA lets say a week before the end of the quarter instead of the same day. It would give them the time to incorporate the sales figures into their conference call and raise the stock price even more.

Or do i have this wrong? LOL its still early and I havent had my coffee yet. :D

puma25uk

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
UK
As much as I want an updated Air, and I do, I wouldn't mind Lion being released before then. Can't wait to get it.

Then if the new Air chimes in mid-end July, Lion would've been released anyhow.

A win-win for everyone, and a nice quarter ending for Apple :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Hopefully these new MacBook Airs will come with the same USB thumb drive containing OS X as the October 2010 models, but in this case containing 10.7.0.

Why would they ? Lion will have a recovery partition and you can always redownload it from the MAS if you need to reinstall.

With the way Apple is doing Lion, I'm thinking July will mean the end of "recovery" media with Macs, including the Air's thumb drive and DVDs with other Macs.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
I never felt the need to order any Apple Product the second it was announced, but for reasons only know to the dark side of my brain, the moment this new Air hits the Apple Store I will be ordering one.

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Why would they ? Lion will have a recovery partition and you can always redownload it from the MAS if you need to reinstall.

With the way Apple is doing Lion, I'm thinking July will mean the end of "recovery" media with Macs, including the Air's thumb drive and DVDs with other Macs.

Forgive me if I'm being dumb, but I genuinely don't know. What if you're hard drive, with the recovery partition on it fails? How would you recover something unrecoverable? Would the Air be totaly broken and need taking to apple for a new hard drive?

How would you change the hard drive if the recovery partition is on it. Say I wanted to upgrade it to a bigger one, the partition wouldn't be there so how do I reinstall. I wouldn't have access to the MAS as there wouldn't be an OS on my hard drive at this point?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.