Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technoawareness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
I have iPad 1 and i want to increase the processing speed of applications and games. Is there a way to upgrade the RAM or internal storage capacity of iPad?

Blisterpeanuts

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
No, for internal storage--so far, no one has reported a way to insert larger storage into the iPad/2.

Yes, for external storage--using Apple's Camera connector, you can place files (such as videos) into a /DCIM folder and copy them to the iPad. It's not ideal, but maybe useful if you want to swap in movies on a long plane trip.

I guess the bottom line is, Apple really doesn't want you to expand the 'Pad but rather think of it as an extension of your desktop/laptop. When you need more storage, you can access material over the air, or load it to the 'Pad using iTunes.

Probably, as alternative tablets get more competitive and the market coalesces around gadgets that support USB and expandable internal storage, Apple will give in and make future gadgets more adaptable.

Remember that the very first iPhones were completely closed; Apple didn't even want to have any 3rd party apps. Boy, were they wrong, and to their credit, they adapted.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I have iPad 1 and i want to increase the processing speed of applications and games. Is there a way to upgrade the RAM or internal storage capacity of iPad?

No, there is no physical way to do that. But there is a workaround under a Jailbroken environment, it's called VR Memory. But it only works with iOS versions older than 4.

Zodiak

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Gatineau, Qc, Canada
No for Storage, Yes/No for RAM.

No matter what you do, the iPad 1 will always have 256mb of ram. However, the iPad relies heavily on Virtual Memory. You can search around and find ways of increasing it. I recall there was a professional coder that showed how to manually edit system files so that the iPad could virtually manage its own Virtual memory, creating as much of it as it wanted, up to a certain amount, and then clearing all of it when you quit the app. There are also less manually intensive ways of doing the same with varying success.

The iPad 1, just like the 2 I am sure, was underclocked from its original speed from 1ghz to 800mhz extend the battery live, there are also tweaks you can use to restore its original speed, again ether manually or automatically.

One of the more automatic ways I believe is through a Cydia tweak called Speed Intensifier (or something like that), which has the option of simply decreasing the time delay between screens or to clock the iPad slightly faster.

The only real issues you may encounter with these is you may notice your iPad slightly warmer and your battery draining only slightly faster, no real harm done. Besides, if anything ever did happen, which it wont, this stuff is pretty much safe, you can always restore your device and Bob's your Uncle :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.