Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_2_iphone_4-150x92.jpg
DigiTimes reports that upstream suppliers in Apple's manufacturing chain have been given orders to begin preparing for production of next-generation iPhone and iPad models, with a debut expected in the September-October timeframe.
Taiwan-based companies included in the supply chain for iPhone 5 and iPad 3 have begun to prepare materials for the production of the two devices, which are likely to make their debuts in September and to hit the market in October, according to industry sources. ... The sources pointed out that Apple only plans to launch one model of the new iPhone, while iPad 3 has just recently been added to the production schedule with both set to be produced in small volumes in August and the volume will start picking up in September and October.
While Apple has been widely rumored to be preparing to launch its next-generation iPhone within that timeframe, a new iPad has been a controversial topic. A number of sources have reported that Apple may introduce an updated iPad just months after the release of the iPad 2 as the company seeks to maintain its stranglehold on the tablet market in the face of rapidly-increasing competition, but those claims have been met with skepticism by others expecting Apple to roughly stick to its usual annual update cycle.

According to today's report, the new iPad will likely be thinner and lighter than the current iPad 2 and will support a display resolution of approximately 250 dpi, which would be double that of the iPad and iPad 2.

Article Link: Apple's Suppliers Preparing for Fall Launch of iPhone 5 and iPad 3?

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Apple doesn't need to release an iPad 3 to maintain their stranglehold on the tablet market. They just need companies like HP to keep introducing tablets that are pieces of crap.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Ok, iPhone is widely expected but didn't we get a story the other day about Apple increasing production of the current generation iPad? It seems nobody has a clue!

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
I just don't buy the iPad 3 rumor. The iPad 2 is selling too well and when has Apple ever released two updates in the same year of the same product. (No, I'm not counting Mac refreshes)

Reevey

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
We all can quite happily expect an iPhone 5 in the coming months.

I'd be in shock if they were to release an iPad 3 now. The iPad 2 hasn't even gone through it's full cycle, production levels have just been ramped up. They'll push the iPad 2 all the way through Christmas and release the 3 next year. They're still miles ahead of anybody else.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Give me retina!

Apple doesn't need to come out with iPad 3 this year. It wouldn't make much sense. But I've waited long enough to get an iPad. Make an iPad with better resolution and I'm in. Finally. The sooner, the better :)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
iPad_2_-_2011_Year_of_iPad_2-20110303-230348.jpg

Enough said.
I don't think there will be an iPad 3 this year.

Hmmm should I believe this rumour or the word of Jobs? Hmmmm hard question.

laxic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Regardless of what steve said before, I believe that this iPad 3 the articles are referring to will really be a 5" or 7" iPad to compete more directly with say the playstation vita and other tablets, with a retina display true iPad 3 released next April. This will still take away the competitors thunder in the fall, and it can be launched along side other iPods as a variation of the iPod touch.

Perhaps, perhaps not.
Just my 2¢

iGod 2.0

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Interesting...but I don't buy all of it

The next-gen iPhone i can understand. Due to the recurring product cycle, Apple has created a solid track record of releasing a new iPhone every year, which they haven't done yet. I agree with the September debut forecast being that iOS 5 is scheduled to be released in the fall term. Which means they will typically release the software first and the new iPhone hardware shortly after. As for the next-gen iPad, I just don't see that happening. Apple practically owns the entire tablet market share, their competitors don't match to the success, consistency and uniformity of the iPad. I just don't see the iPad thing coming until next year second term. SJ pretty much put it in a doggy-bag that...

iPad_2_-_2011_Year_of_iPad_2-20110303-230348.jpg

samroberto

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

HarryKeogh said:
Apple doesn't need to release an iPad 3 to maintain their stranglehold on the tablet market. They just need companies like HP to keep introducing tablets that are pieces of crap.

iPad 3?? Seriously??? (sarcasm).

I used to get sucked into all the hype, and Apple (aided by macrumors' hyper-rumoring no doubt) has capitalized on the roller coaster of we the consumers' obsession with latest greatest new model.

Way too early for an iPad 3, in my humble opinion. It's so early that I really don't seem to be able to get excited about it. iPad 2 is just getting started stretching it's legs. iPhone 5 seems more likely.

I'll call it "Update Fatigue". Imagine us all joyous and fulfilled after the MacBook air comes out in July, and then obsessive hyper-rumoring begins over a new MBA mac-rumored to come out in august. Or september. (verified by a source that heard from a source that heard from a...)

Joke. :p

zarusoba

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

250 dpi?? Dots? On a computer display? Really??

I. Think. You. Mean. P.P.I.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Not likely. Apple may appear to be a huge company but it is actually pretty small for the number of different products it sells. Moving the iPad release to the fall, along with the iPhone and all the iPods would be too much to handle at one time.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i wouldn't mind the iPad 3 in the fall. i'm seriously considering getting an iPad after my summer job around that time but i'm not sure to still get the iPad 2 with rumors of the revision usually starting around that time. but can i wait til april 2012? i'm not sure ^^

i also don't mind apple for pushing the iPhone to the fall, as i'm able to get my iPhone 4 replaced in january :)

jdsmoooth

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Why would you miss the Christmas Buying season with a product that already outsells all of the "competition" combined. It seems pointless and not cost effective to release a new iPad now. Especially when the iPad 2 is an excellent device.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
The only thing I could see for the iPad in the fall would be a slightly improved version of the current iPad 2. iPad 3 is too soon.

Personally... I just don't see an iPad 3 in the future for 2011. Not needed.

iOS 5 will be more than enough to keep the sales rolling.

EquilibriumGroup

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Rumors aren't always true? :|

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008

Enough said.
I don't think there will be an iPad 3 this year.

Hmmm should I believe this rumour or the word of Jobs? Hmmmm hard question.

Oh, c'mon ... I also don't believe in an iPad 3 this year, but I have a good laugh everytime somebody brings on this picture as the ultimate proof ... That's almost as ridiculous as the iPad 3 rumors. Again: I also don't believe in the iPad 3 this year, but this picture/claim means NOTHING. "Hey, Steve gave his word!" - LOL.

FvL

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Although I find it hard to believe that an iPad 3 would be released this year, I do think that Apple might have to increase their release pace because a year may be too long in this world and allow competitors to fill a gap.

If the retina display rumour comes true, I believe it makes sense that Apple will simultaneously replace the back camera with a 5 or 8 megapixel variant and introduce Aperture for iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.