Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispayy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
Hey , just wondering is there a way that I can clean my Mac OS as if it has been formatted with a OS reinstalled , but without having the need to actually going through the formatting process. I don't have the install disk nor can I obtain so finding a way to clear my mac would be great. Thanks, hope to hear from you guys soon.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The only reason you need to clean your Mac under normal circumstances is if you're trying to prepare it for sale. In that case, it's best to have the install discs with it. If you don't have them, you can call Apple for replacements.

Chrispayy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
Circumstances at school require me to format my laptop, but it is assumed that I already own the install disks. Is there a way to get the same effects as a full reinstall without reinstalling an OS ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Circumstances at school require me to format my laptop, but it is assumed that I already own the install disks. Is there a way to get the same effects as a full reinstall without reinstalling an OS ?
Why on earth would anyone be required to format their computer? That doesn't make sense.

Chrispayy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
I asked myself the same question, but that's what the school is asking.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I asked myself the same question, but that's what the school is asking.
That's not a reasonable request that any school would make. There may be users that have apps that they no longer have install disks for, or may not have backups of their data. Something sounds fishy with this story. It does, however, sound like a request someone would make who has "acquired" a Mac that's not their own, as any user could call Apple for replacement install discs for a Mac they own. The fact that this thread is your first post in this forum is also cause for suspicion.

Chrispayy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
I understand your reason to be suspicious, but I do guarantee you that I am being legit. The laptop was handed out by the government to the school which was passed on to the students, so the school does unfortunately have the right to request for things such as a format. But as I was not given the install disks, nor was there any answer to my question on the net, I found it would be beneficial for me to create an account and ask. So, from the answers given, the only was is to get the install disks?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I understand your reason to be suspicious, but I do guarantee you that I am being legit. The laptop was handed out by the government to the school which was passed on to the students, so the school does unfortunately have the right to request for things such as a format. But as I was not given the install disks, nor was there any answer to my question on the net, I found it would be beneficial for me to create an account and ask. So, from the answers given, the only was is to get the install disks?
If the computer is owned by the school, they would reformat them if needed, or provide you with the discs to do so properly. Sorry, I'm still not buying your story.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
I cannot think of any reason why a school would request someone to format a computer, much for the reason that a format is a technical thing which would not be asked of the end user unless the tech dept of the school were incompetent. A format is a rather extreme measure.

Asking Apple for replacement disks is an easy hassle free option if you are the legitimate owner, it would maybe only incur shipping fees.

If a school had given you a laptop, it would be logical to presume that they also held the install disks in which case you could request them from them. They would have given them to you anyway, even in the unlikely event that they allowed you to do such a thing. And they could only request such a measure, had they retained ownership of the machine. So it seems your story is implausible.

In case you have acquired the mac by illegitimate means, know this. Even with a complete format, data is not entirely lost. Either way if that laptop gets retrieved by the law, they do have ways of retrieving the original content and the original owner from that.

So I'd turn it in if I was you.

Chrispayy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
Wait, I can call Apple for replacement disks?
This is a legit story, think what you will. But I have nothing to hide.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wait, I can call Apple for replacement disks?
This is a legit story, think what you will. But I have nothing to hide.
Take your Mac to the nearest Apple store and ask them for install discs. With the serial number, they can determine which discs work with your Mac.

Chrispayy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
Ah ok, thanks. Sorry for 'causing suspicion. But I am not lying, the reason the school couldn't have given me disks is because it is holidays.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ah ok, thanks. Sorry for 'causing suspicion. But I am not lying, the reason the school couldn't have given me disks is because it is holidays.

Anyways, thanks for your help.
The school would have no reason to ask you to format a school-owned computer. Your posts indicate that you are lying:
Circumstances at school require me to format my laptop, but it is assumed that I already own the install disks.
the reason the school couldn't have given me disks is because it is holidays.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
They don't need to have a reason. It's their machine, they can require what they want. It doesn't have to make sense.
No school would ask an end user to format a computer, which could render it useless if not done properly and if the install discs weren't available. They wouldn't ask it for a school-owned computer and they wouldn't have the right to ask it of a student-owned computer.

Chrispayy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
I asked a simple question, I have no intention to lie and I haven't this whole thread. It's holidays which is why it is assumed that we have the disks to re-install the OS on our laptops. It is a school owned laptop with insurance paid by the students therefore students still have part ownership of the machine. You're too busy looking at it in a black and white perspective and accusing me of possibly not owning the machine is quite offensive. I assume the reason they would ask for a re-format is so they can install new programs or they believe we have programs not relating to school work.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
I don't really care if he is lying or not, but this does sound crazy. So far I have agreed 100% with everything GGJstudios has said.

I understand that they have the right to ask a student to maintain their computer, but, and maybe it is just my school, chances are if you asked 9 out of 10 students to reformat their computer, they would have no idea what you just asked them to do.

The easiest solution would be to take it to the school and tell them you don't know how to do it. Right?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
The easiest solution would be to take it to the school and tell them you don't know how to do it. Right?

This is rather difficult when it is the summer holiday, no? If it's a highschool, it's generally closed to the public. If it is college, the OP could easily be several hours away from the school and not be able to take it there.

I'm not saying the OP's story isn't fishy, but this isn't really a great argument against it given the time of year.

My school required freshmen (who got their laptops at the welcome weekend near the end of the previous semester) to get their laptops reimaged at the beginning of their first semester as all the network configuration, school software, etc, was not on the laptops when the students first received them. But the school did it for them. If the school has practically no IT dept, then this request might not be quite so out of line.

Still, you would think the school would ensure that the students can do it. Maybe they generally provide the install discs and the OP is one of the very few who fell through the cracks and didn't receive his.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Still, you would think the school would ensure that the students can do it. Maybe they generally provide the install discs and the OP is one of the very few who fell through the cracks and didn't receive his.
Read the OP's conflicting statements I quoted in post #15. I think the whole story is bogus.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Maybe the OP goes to a school whose IT department isn't nearly as tech-saavy as we are. From our perspective his story makes no sense, but (and speaking from frustrated experience here) from the perspective of the clueless executives who make the rules that the IT department has to follow it does.

Those conflicting statements are definitely suspicious though.

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Ok perhaps the trial is over and the OP has been taken off to liar's prison in shackles but there is a way to accomplish what he asked...

If I had to "make a Mac look like it had been formatted," I would do the following...

1) Create a new account. Make sure it is an admin account.

2) Log in to the new account. Delete the old account and its home folder.

3) This next bit takes a bit of work but go to /Applications and drag the non-Apple apps to the trash. If you don't know which ones are from Apple, just how did you get this machine?

Done. Virgin admin account with no documents, no 3rd party apps. Turn in the machine and call it a day. If the school thinks you didn't do a good enough job, let them dig up the disk and wipe it themselves.

It does occur to me that if the OP were lying and they were merely trying to belt sand a hot Mac to sell it as new, the serial number should provide a way to establish the proper ownership of the machine. Every Mac sold has its serial number and who it was sold to on record at Apple and I'm pretty sure this includes third party sellers such as Best Buy and MicroCenter as well.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I like how this person is instantly attacked for being a theif. How can you come to that conclusion with zero information on the subject? and even so, it reaally isn't your job to harass him! Have proof? Call the cops, otherwise shut up and leave the thread.
:confused:
I don't see what is so weird here. I have seen MANY school IT departments be under qualified and have very stupid rules *thinking* they are protecting their infrastructure.
This seems like 2 potential problems. Poor IT staff, and student (OP) who doens't know much about computers and only got a small part of the information said.
None of us were there, so for all we know the OP misinterpreted the school.:rolleyes:

So before jumping to conclusions maybe we should relax a bit.

I think GGJstudios is part of al qaeda, he provided no reason why.. but he just seems very fishy to me, lets all attack him! :rolleyes:

Any ways, as stated int he post above, just create a new user account and delete the old one. This is as close as you are going to get with out having an actual install disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.