Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreakinSyco

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I've got my iPad that I sync with another computer. I also have a iPad formatted movie on this computer that I'd like to add to my iPad.

Can I copy that movie to my iPad without iTunes? iTunes wants me to delete everything to get it to sync to this computer.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
You'll have to use a 3rd party app. Goodreader is among the best at this.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Dude, RTFM.

It's simple, and there are a multitude of ways to do what you want with Goodreader.

FreakinSyco

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
You may have found a winner. I already had a folder share of my Downloads folder on my Mac. I enabled the FTP option under System Preferences. Then using GoodReader I added the FTP server from local wifi. I'm now downloading the movie from my Mac to the iPad. Its 3.1GB so this could take ages. It doesn't help that GoodReader is stuck on the notification that "interface may freeze for awhile while downloading".

I'll update when it fails or completes.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
You can add movies via the camera connector kit but the important thing to remember is to change your settings to "manually manage" on the computer you set your iPad up on initially. That way you can add content from any computer without syncing.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Tip: Try the USB helper app. You have to use an exe on the host computer, but it is much, much faster than wifi.

billylo

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
super basic query

super basic question: should i download GoodReader onto the iPad or mac desktop? or does it matter. thanks!

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Sure, use a 3rd. part player, like AVPlayerHD

Exactly...AVPlayerHD is excellent and plays about any codec and easily adds video files via iTunes sync...I use it everyday along with VLC Player for iOS which unfortunately isn't available anymore.
Between the two players I have over 40GB's of video (avi and mkv) on my iPad2 and they play perfectly.
I've also put 720p BluRay rips on my iPad and they look beautiful and play perfectly without a hiccup...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.