Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishloveguines

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
you used to be able to hold the control/option/command key and click an app and it would disappear, but now it won't, the just wiggle. does anyone know now how to remove icons from launchpad?

TheAppleDragon

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Really? All I have to do is click+hold on an app, and click the "X" buttons that pop up. Just like in iOS. For some reason that hasn't been giving me any problems at all...

And about 90% of my apps aren't from the Mac App store. Some of them are mine, and even they delete in this fashion. :S

irishloveguines

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Really? All I have to do is click+hold on an app, and click the "X" buttons that pop up. Just like in iOS. For some reason that hasn't been giving me any problems at all...

And about 90% of my apps aren't from the Mac App store. Some of them are mine, and even they delete in this fashion. :S

i meant removing the default system apps from launchpad "font book, stickies, chess etc". can't do it.

organik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Yep, Prev. 4 has disabled being able to remove icons from Launchpad apparently. Apple needs to fix this - it's really going to piss people off!

I have tons of Parallels icons there that I just don't want to see...

Also, I only have the uninstall X for apps purchased on the app store.

paris18m

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
DP4 allowed you to delete apps from the launcher, and they would actually delete from your Applications folder as well!!! This was dangerous i think sice most people would think these were shortcuts and not the actual apps!!

DP4 with todays update does not allow to delete apps from lauchpad, apart from those installed via AppStore. Its logical since those fly strait to the launchpad where as the other apps you install manually you do drag them in the applications folder. this move is logical but i would like to see an option to completly delete any apps form lauchpad as well. maybe a hidden option but would be nice if it was there!

btw you can easily delete your Parallels desktop folder with shotcut in Applications folder and they will be gone from lauchpad as well. Just did that since i did not want to see any apps on my win setup. not that Parallels desktop is working with lion but ... hopefully soon

supaflyryan

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
btw you can easily delete your Parallels desktop folder with shotcut in Applications folder and they will be gone from lauchpad as well. Just did that since i did not want to see any apps on my win setup. not that Parallels desktop is working with lion but ... hopefully soon

Can you explain this process a bit more? I'd love to remove all the Windows Apps.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
didn't it change to ctrl+option+cmd in dp4?

I can get the icons to wiggle with this command but can't remove any of them. Does anyone know how to remove the labels from the icons? There's an option in QuickPick for Snow Leopard to do this and it gives the desktop a cleaner look, but I can't for the life of me find any options for the LaunchPad application in System Preferences or elsewhere.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think the better question is how to disable launchpad altogether. It seems the most ill conceived feature that Apple has ever devised.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
I would love to know how to remove Apps from Launchpad. I removed a couple of apps from my system, but the icons are still there in Launchpad. Can't get rid of them.
So frustrating!

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I'm in the same boat. I have several apps that are duplicates (Chess, DVDPlayer, etc . . .) I'd like to only have ONE copy of them. Plus I'd like to get rid of some of the once I never use.

Mere

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
LaunchpadCleaner

Here's an easy way to delete or restore launchpad apps without using terminal commands or deleting/uninstalling any apps: :)

LaunchpadCleaner: A small, simple and free app that allows you clean up your Launchbar with a single click: http://zoltanb.co.uk/launchpadcleaner/

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
you used to be able to hold the control/option/command key and click an app and it would disappear, but now it won't, the just wiggle. does anyone know now how to remove icons from launchpad?

Just drag the ones you don't want on top of each other and they will form an iOS-style "folder". Do this with all t he apps you don't want, and it will really declutter your launchpad.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I think the better question is how to disable launchpad altogether. It seems the most ill conceived feature that Apple has ever devised.

I agree, it's gimmicky and ugly. But many defend it. They seem to like the iToyz resemblance which is exactly what the toymakers at Apple wanted to achieve.

It's about making it familiar looking to those who may have not used a computer, but have an iPhone or iPad.

Old people (and some not so old) tend to love clutter.

Icons everywhere... launchpad fulfills that warm and fuzzy feeling of having lots of stuff all over the desktop.

Me? I like a clean icon free desktop. Something that I enjoy about 10.6.8.

But then again I'm not old enough to know better :) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.